Deafening silence from The Argus

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Old BG and his ridiculous rumours site tells us more about the Albion than the arsegas.

Brilliant stuff though imo....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are they concerned about future relations with the club?

I imagine this is indeed the case - and they are also afraid of getting sued.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Am I wrong in thinking that FFP is not in force until the season after NEXT?

I agree with the OP about the Argus though, the Albion coverage is very bland and seldom features anything that has not already been discussed in depth on here already.

I think it came into play a year or so ago, there is a period of grace so that clubs can sort themselves out. L1 and L2 are ahead of the Championship but I think next season is when it all begins to matter, then if teams fail, the following season they'll be liable to be hit with sanctions.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No news is good news.

Don't they have a billboard outside every newsagents ? proclaiming

"Albion Silence !"

and then when you buy it it's two paragraphs tucked away on page 10 and consists of a picture of Barber standing in front of the West Stand

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Don't they have a billboard outside every newsagents ? proclaiming

"Albion Silence !"

and then when you buy it it's two paragraphs tucked away on page 10 and consists of a picture of Barber standing in front of the West Stand

is the Amex still then I thought it might have been an alien craft and disappeared into space with all the staff within

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Richie Morris told us more about The Albion in his recent email interview with Barber than the Argus has done.

Perhaps he should become a Journo?

I think you know that he already is.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I'd prefer a full 8 page pull out on why we cannot compete and what is the no bulltit,no accountants speak,laymans easy terms of how we are losing £8m per season..

Also what our Budget will be and how much is our highest wage earner,anything i missed?

In short i agree.

I wrote about this ages ago re my concerns that the infrastructure of the club was getting too big too quick and unaffordable. We now have two first team physios who run on the pitch holding hands, an entourage of coaches, nutritionists, doctors, development squads, youth team across the county from 6 years old up, millions of stewards and more admin and shop staff than you can shake a stick at. Since getting the Amex I am sure that there has been loads of unforeseen expenditure that isn't part of the stadium money. It appears to have got out of control. Unfortunately Barber's prime answer to this overspend is to pass it on to the fans. Interesting to know what % of £8m Barber's salary is worth.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
agree totally about the argus. stories about stoke, the fans wanting poyet at wigan and now reading, but not a word about the worrying goings on at the club, not even an editorial. are they concerned about future relations with the club?

This!!

As Naylor (I think!) stated a couple of weeks ago it was an open secret at the Amex that Poyet had fallen out with the board several months ago - this MUST have been known to Naylor and Owen in the intervening weeks but they haven't had the balls to say a word about it!
Fecking cowardly 'journalism' in my book!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This!!

As Naylor (I think!) stated a couple of weeks ago it was an open secret at the Amex that Poyet had fallen out with the board several months ago - this MUST have been known to Naylor and Owen in the intervening weeks but they haven't had the balls to say a word about it!
Fecking cowardly 'journalism' in my book!!

It was said that the whole atmosphere of the press conferences changed after the Reading talks. If only we had someone on NSC who regularly went to the conferences and was able to spot this obvious change and then to convey this in written word :wink:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was said that the whole atmosphere of the press conferences changed after the Reading talks. If only we had someone on NSC who regularly went to the conferences and was able to spot this obvious change and then to convey this in written word :wink:

He wouldn't have been any use either seeing as how it was Tanno & Charlie doing them.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
This nonsense about the Argus not wanting to upset the club is really irritating. We're not living in North Korea.

It is the responsibility of the local mouthpiece to tell the people what they want to know in their local area, within the bounds of the law and reporting restrictions.

I fully agree that the e-mailed set of questions to Barber - and the answers received were 100 times better than anything the Argus has written on the club recently.

And there is plenty of speculation - and factual confirmation - that they could indulge in without causing any problem.

Two crazy murderers attack a soldier in Woolwich - and we have pages and pages of insight into what happened, why it happened, who the people were, and dozens of different perspectives - all while the guys pictured on phones etc were called "alleged attackers". A softer example, the MPs expenses row - plenty of revelations of spending on duck houses and nefarious goings on, well before some of those exposed were in court and in some cases sent to prison.

A pretty simple case of a vibrant local football club in meltdown, which is of interest to many of the local people, is now treated like some sort of national secret.

The local paper is running scared instead of doing its job - in a country where the freedom of the press is campaigned for on a very regular basis.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Is there really a "deafening silence" from The Argus regarding The Albion, as quite clearly right now, there isn't any. I'm more concerned at the deafening silence coming from within the club.

The Argus never print anything controversial, they are scared of getting banned by the club. This current regime will cut off the Arugus connections with the club if they dare to challenge the party line, you have only to look at Barbers recent comments regarding 'unhelpful speculation' to see what the Argus risk if they publish anything not sanctioned by the board.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
He wouldn't have been any use either seeing as how it was Tanno & Charlie doing them.
Really? A quick scan through Seagulls Player tells me Gus did the pre-match press conferences for Boro, Posh, Blackpool, Wolves and both Palace play-off legs - all post-Reading talks.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
It is time for the Argus to start asking the awkward questions. As supporters, and let's face it, the club now has more who have committed their cash to it than there have ever been, our voice as individuals has no impact whatsoever. The club has now operated without a management team for a month, at a time when players are being signed by other clubs and plans made for the new season. It would be wonderful to see an in-depth article in the Argus probing into what is going on- apart from anything else, sales of the paper would rocket!

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It is time for the Argus to start asking the awkward questions. As supporters, and let's face it, the club now has more who have committed their cash to it than there have ever been, our voice as individuals has no impact whatsoever. The club has now operated without a management team for a month, at a time when players are being signed by other clubs and plans made for the new season. It would be wonderful to see an in-depth article in the Argus probing into what is going on- apart from anything else, sales of the paper would rocket!

Unfortunately 'in depth' 'awkward questions' and 'probing' are concepts that just don't equate with The Argus.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Is there really a "deafening silence" from The Argus regarding The Albion, as quite clearly right now, there isn't any. I'm more concerned at the deafening silence coming from within the club.

Exactly this. The club is the most locked down I've ever seen it. The chaps at the Argus must be pulling their hair out trying to think up stuff to print. To be honest, I'd prefer little things like they've been putting in there rather than endless cricket boredom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports