Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deaf woman hears for the very first time

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If she was married to my partner she'd be demanding a Reverse Procedure pretty damn quick!
More seriously though great to see something nice happening for a change, it's nice also she will now understand when someone tells her she still has her pyjamas on :)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Was on the radio recorded by her mum she was deaf from birth and lost her sight in more resent times I cannot imagine the isolation she must have endured, just seen the video does bring a tear to your eye for all the right reasons

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
but putting aside the emotion and technology for one moment to ask the important question

would ya?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I love this one - 8-month-old boy with his mother...

[yt]ZDD7Ohs5tAk[/yt]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh my god, that's a tear jerker.
I had hearing up until 20 and very little until 31, so not quite the same excitement, but exciting nonetheless.
I'll have a read of those, thanks. After you'd adjusted to the implants, did things start to sound the way you remember them sounding when you were young, or is it still quite different?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have raised my question. The thread says she has heard for the VERY first time. Therefore she hasn't heard any thing before. How can she know what spoken words sound like straight away?
I assume by lipreading.

Amazing video but I have a genuine question.
How does she know what she is hearing is high pitched?
Oo, that's a good one. Could she have learnt about sounds by vibrations with things like balloons? Like you can feel low bass sounds, so maybe she'd know what low means.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wednesday :cry:

November :laugh:

It's gonna take her a while...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Oh my god, that's a tear jerker.
I'll have a read of those, thanks. After you'd adjusted to the implants, did things start to sound the way you remember them sounding when you were young, or is it still quite different?

To be honest, I had forgotten what things sounded like. I was encouraged to ask people when I heard a new noise. I used to ask strangers and most of them thought I was rather demented.

I put my hands under the hand dryer and gave myself the biggest fright. I had forgotten how noisy they were. I thought the ceiling was coming down.

"Hello. Sorry to bother you. What's that peeping sound?"

"Can I call someone for you?"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I assume by lipreading.

Oo, that's a good one. Could she have learnt about sounds by vibrations with things like balloons? Like you can feel low bass sounds, so maybe she'd know what low means.

There is a deaf DJ that plays in Brighton sometimes. They have lots of low bass music to dance to. I went to one gig on the Palace Pier and had to leave as it felt as though I was having a heart attack. :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be honest, I had forgotten what things sounded like. I was encouraged to ask people when I heard a new noise. I used to ask strangers and most of them thought I was rather demented.
:whistle:

So do you feel like it sounds similar now - does it sound 'real'?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All real now. At first, everything sounded robotic. But your brain quickly learns what is what and how things should sound.
Clever things those brains. Well, some of them.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Now that she can hear she will have to adjust to sound very slowly and not go anywhere too noisy for the time being so as not to cause any damage to her eardrums.
Expect to see her tomorrow at the Amex, East Stand Upper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here