Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Deadline day - are we done???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Why's that then ? We should be looking at players like that who can take us into in the PL,
then still be good enough to stay with us and play for usin the PL with a small increase in wages which will be in their contracts already, so we don't have to blow even more on players twice his price just to stay up.
People need to stop hanging on to years gone by and realise this is the step up to the big time .
I get the feeling sometimes a lot of people would lkie us to still be a struggling League 2 side. I must admit there is the odd day when i feel like that, sometimes it can feel very sterile.

Because Rhodes, for example, would be earning 2 and a half times more than anyone else in the squad. It doesn't lead to a happy dressing room. We have an excellent squad. It must be obvious by now that Bloom is not going to throw upwards of 30m on on player given how well we have put our team together. Not hanging on to years gone by - Knockaert is an unbelievable signing for us and will be the difference between play offs/potential automatic and not. We're too well run to gamble ridiculous money, and potential transfer bans, on promotion.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The arsenal lad and murray or Leo tomorrow would set us up well. No where near enough firepower as it stands despite a decent tranfer window

We've had enough firepower to be fourth in February..and we didn't have Knocky or Wilson or Kaz for most of that time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Maybe they have brought Hemed some new boots

I pray for Tomer, love him as a player, puts so much effort in, runs his socks off and always wants the ball. I thought after he bagged the winner against Charlton in December after a barren run, he would start hitting the net regularly again. It hasn't happened though, and I now relectantly concede, that maybe we need to try something, (or someone), else.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Because Rhodes, for example, would be earning 2 and a half times more than anyone else in the squad. It doesn't lead to a happy dressing room. We have an excellent squad. It must be obvious by now that Bloom is not going to throw upwards of 30m on on player given how well we have put our team together. Not hanging on to years gone by - Knockaert is an unbelievable signing for us and will be the difference between play offs/potential automatic and not.

Knockhaert is by a country mile the best player that Brighton have signed since being at the Amex and what is he ?? A proven player in the Premier League and the Championship !

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Knockhaert is by a country mile the best player that Brighton have signed since being at the Amex and what is he ?? A proven player in the Premier League and the Championship !

With the exception of Vicente of course....

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
I pray for Tomer, love him as a player, puts so much effort in, runs his socks off and always wants the ball. I thought after he bagged the winner against Charlton in December after a barren run, he would start hitting the net regularly again. It hasn't happened though, and I now relectantly concede, that maybe we need to try something, (or someone), else.

Whats happened to Hemed though he started so well banging in the goals, something goes very very wrong in my mind when a player suddenly just stops scoring goals after such a great start,
he's practically annonymous now whenever he plays its such a shame i high hopes for that lad

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Because Rhodes, for example, would be earning 2 and a half times more than anyone else in the squad. It doesn't lead to a happy dressing room. We have an excellent squad. It must be obvious by now that Bloom is not going to throw upwards of 30m on on player given how well we have put our team together. Not hanging on to years gone by - Knockaert is an unbelievable signing for us and will be the difference between play offs/potential automatic and not. We're too well run to gamble ridiculous money, and potential transfer bans, on promotion.

Apart from Zamora no other striker is on the same wavelength. So goals still hard to come by

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Whats happened to Hemed though he started so well banging in the goals, something goes very very wrong in my mind when a player suddenly just stops scoring goals after such a great start,

I like the guy but I'm sure at least 4 of those goals were lucky deflections, magical scuffs and/or flukes.
He's certainly not been banging in the goals.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have to say I have grown tired of the spin that comes from the top, the latest being 'strengthening from a position of strength' because we quite clearly haven't, unless Knocky was the one and only expected from the powers that be.

Not that I care, well I do but I'm happy with what we have, they have proved themselves to be able to compete at the top for half a season, however the regs are growing very battle worn with very little back up, although I acknowledge the imminent return of Bong and Rosenior and lesser so Baldock. But then I have always been totally underwhelmed by the January transfer window anyway. Rarely get excited by it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
PROVEN goalscorers get you promoted, that is and remains the final part of the jigsaw IMO.

Crystal Palace signed a guy who wasn't even top scorer in League one. His first season with them he scored 6. The following year he got them promoted. Meanwhile, Blackburn have had Jordan Rhodes for four seasons. How did they do? Fulham had Ross McCormack last year for a lower half finish.

Having a proven goalscorer doesn't guarantee promotion.

You can get promoted without proven goal scorers, sometimes you don't need one star scorer, as long as the rest of the team pitches in. Other times unproven goalscorers become proven by helping to get you promoted.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Apart from Zamora no other striker is on the same wavelength. So goals still hard to come by

We'll see. Wilson has been struggling for a while with illness so hopefully the break will have done him good. Hemed does badly need a rest. I fancy Baldock will actually be the biggest beneficiary. He makes some good runs which others have been unable to pick out.

Don't get me wrong - I still think a top class Striker is what we're missing but for some of the figures banded about we were never going to be signing one IMO. If we get Murray in on loan I fancy we'd be unstoppable.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I have to say I have grown tired of the spin that comes from the top, the latest being 'strengthening from a position of strength' because we quite clearly haven't, unless Knocky was the one and only expected from the powers that be.

Not that I care, well I do but I'm happy with what we have, they have proved themselves to be able to compete at the top for half a season, however the regs are growing very battle worn with very little back up, although I acknowledge the imminent return of Bong and Rosenior and lesser so Baldock. But then I have always been totally underwhelmed by the January transfer window anyway. Rarely get excited by it.

Spot on. I also question some of the quotes that come out of the club and how it raises expectations miles above the reality of our situation.

I think we have recruited really well, Knocky has without doubt improved us. I question if we have really 'strengthening from a position of strength'

I think we have simply replaced and covered areas where we already have plenty of strength.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
With the exception of Vicente of course....

Vicente was good but hardly played at all, he was there IMHO as a showpiece by Bloom to try and send a message to us fans saying
"hey, now we have this ground, now we have a bit of dosh , these are the sort of players you will see here from now on !
And we did for two whole seasons, then what happened ? we let them all go, ended up with a wanker like Hyppia for a manager and almost got relegated,and if it wasn't for Nathan Jones, we would have done and been playing League 1 this season.
We have a good manager now, its not flair and never will be i don't think, under him, at times almost unbearable to watch, but the fact is we are still in with a shout.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Having a proven goalscorer doesn't guarantee promotion.

But it bloody helps.... Our top scorer has 7 goals.

Not many teams get promoted to the PL without a player scoring goals regularly.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We've had enough firepower to be fourth in February..and we didn't have Knocky or Wilson or Kaz for most of that time.

Completely agree with this. You would think we're bottom of the league based on some of the ridiculous comments on this thread but last time I looked we were fourth in the league.

Loads of moaning about the addition of Rhodes by Middlesbrough (a player that was never affordable for us) yet no mention of other teams who have not thrown money at signings. We've probably spent more money than most teams this transfer window (and season).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When was it ever any different? Us fans can talk about the likes of Calleri, Bolanos, Rhodes, McCormack, Bamford, Murray, Ulloa et al until we are blue in the face, but the club will NEVER sign players like that.

Every transfer window has been the same, for as long as I can remember.

We did sign Ulloa - in the January 2013 window (and Murray way back when, of course)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not many teams get promoted to the PL without a player scoring goals regularly.

Feel free to correct me but I believe both Hull and Cardiff in recent seasons were promoted with very low highest scorers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here