Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
See, I don't agree with this. Some people take to learning a new language like a duck to water, some don't. And that's just regular life. Throw in the media trying to twist your every word, find an angle, or get a good story, I don't blame anyone wishing to stick to their native tongue. RDZ's approach is incredibly impressive but it's not for everyone.
Bielsa could speak decent enough English, there are some funny interviews of him correcting his own interpreter for misunderstanding the question. I think he used it as a convenient shield from the media, he was happy to make interviews awkward. All part of his mystique I guess.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the slight difference now is we’re scoring more so makes it more enjoyable to watch. Or it feels like that. :sneaky:
Probably a bit of 'feels like that'. We scored 16 in 8 games at the end of last season., and 11 in 6 prior to the managerial change.

We've now scored 11 in 7 - so really a continuation of the form of the previous 14 games which is a delight, but not necessarily a sudden transformation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If RDZ would have moved to England aged 63 rather than 43, he'd struggle a lot more with it. Not impossible to learn even when you get old, but significantly more difficult.

Also clear as a day that Bielsa got some kind of diagnosis that probably makes him less socially outwards which also doesn't help if you want to learn a new language in a new country.

Indeed.

I also smiled at the post abouve about Bielsa being disresptful to the Leeds fans by not communicating in English. That would explain why he was universally hated by the Leeds fans, then.

Oh, hang on.....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Bielsa could speak decent enough English, there are some funny interviews of him correcting his own interpreter for misunderstanding the question. I think he used it as a convenient shield from the media, he was happy to make interviews awkward. All part of his mystique I guess.

It's not uncommon for people who can passably speak the language to sometimes defer to the translator. They understand the nuances of the language. It makes a lot of sense.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Plus Bielsa is an outlier/oddity anyway, ignoring age issues and challenges.

Didn't they paint a line for him to follow into the training ground so that he didn't have to waste mental energy working out where he was going, so he could think more about football?
ha, no idea, but I hope it's true!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Plus Bielsa is an outlier/oddity anyway, ignoring age issues and challenges.

Didn't they paint a line for him to follow into the training ground so that he didn't have to waste mental energy working out where he was going, so he could think more about football?
And didn’t he live in a bedsit above a fish and chip shop? Weirdo given they must have paid him enough to live somewhere nice.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
And didn’t he live in a bedsit above a fish and chip shop? Weirdo given they must have paid him enough to live somewhere nice.
Or man of the people perhaps? I liked so much of what I hear about the guy, such a shame that he worked for Leeds. Sullied his career and humanity somewhat

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was wondering what the club was thinking of after his first press conference. Thought it admirable that he tried, really ballsy, but it felt like a car crash.

It's a measure of the man that he set such demanding targets re communicating in English for press conferences and is achieving that so well & so soon (vulvas aside...).

Seems that we've got an upgrade in all aspects, plus over £20m into the bargain. An absolute masterstroke it is looking like.

Didn't think I would enjoy watching brighton as much after Potter left, thought we'd find out quite how good he'd been for us after he'd gone (so did he clearly), how wrong we both were.
Potter post match interview after we stuffed Chelsea, included the line, "I hope the next manager can do as well as I did for them" or something similar. f*** that Graham, he is going to make you look a fraud by showing you what your squad could really do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A bit, there is lovely and lovelier though, think Brad Pitt dumping Jennifer Aniston, for Angelina Jolie.
Given Jolie is now suing Pitt for physical and mental abuse I'm not sure that is the best example of an upgrading success story...😬

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Given Jolie is now suing Pitt for physical and mental abuse I'm not sure that is the best example of an upgrading success story...😬
She could take every penny I ever earned, for an extended stay in her boudoir.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Gimme gimme gimme Roberto De Zerbi
He’ll take us on a journey to the Champions League 🎶
SURELY it’s this. I mentioned it to my lad a few weeks ago when it was first suggested. We sang it in the car and even added the dele delrrrs at the start and it was Abbatastic! If it caught on it would sound even better than the Bissouma / Mitoma chant, which is already a classic.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter post match interview after we stuffed Chelsea, included the line, "I hope the next manager can do as well as I did for them" or something similar. f*** that Graham, he is going to make you look a fraud by showing you what your squad could really do.
This. The squad did far more for Potter than Potter did for the squad. He'll be living off that 'look what I did for Brighton' line for years to come, long after the Chelsea process chews him up and spits him and all his little elves out earlydoors. Oh well. Can always bank the obscene pay-off and book an Open University course to retrain as a touchy-feely counsellor or something :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here