Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He means the world to me.
Ohhhhhhh De Zerbi.
dmm der der dmmm tish.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It is incredibly impressive, to go out in front of the media and speak a language your are currently learning and talk about your brand new job. Show's commitment and a lot of balls too.
(Certainly more impressive than my ability to multi quote)
I was wondering what the club was thinking of after his first press conference. Thought it admirable that he tried, really ballsy, but it felt like a car crash.

It's a measure of the man that he set such demanding targets re communicating in English for press conferences and is achieving that so well & so soon (vulvas aside...).

Seems that we've got an upgrade in all aspects, plus over £20m into the bargain. An absolute masterstroke it is looking like.

Didn't think I would enjoy watching brighton as much after Potter left, thought we'd find out quite how good he'd been for us after he'd gone (so did he clearly), how wrong we both were.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just said the same. The improvement, week on week, is quite something, which is great to see/hear because it's indicative of a real commitment to what he's doing.
Certainly puts Bielsa still using an interpreter after having been in England for several years to shame

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Still going for the Okey Cokey but replacing it with Bob De Zerbi

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with the views that his english has come on leaps and bounds since his arrival. The translator is in the dole queue now.

I think Bob had a new word to try out in yesterdays post-match interview, when he described the game as having been "very animated"

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think he already has affected our style of play, for example from kick off we always would play it back to Dunk who would play a speculative long ball to Welbeck or whomever to hopefully win possession and continue the attack, this used to frustrate the hell out of me.
Why play a long ball that we might or might not win if we are a possession based team?
It looks like Robbie has corrected that, we now kick off, play it back to Dunk who moves it short thus keeping possession.

We also move the ball quicker now with a lot more one touch passes, it doesn’t always work but when it does, it looks bloody impressive.

I’m fully on board with the De Zerbi journey and haven’t been as excited with our style as when Poyet first came to town and had us using the football rather than seemingly trying to get rid of it.
I'm with you on this. I don't know the language of football tactics, but I noticed during yesterday's game the number of times we did one touch passes in a W shape when in the opposition half. We sort of zig zag the ball across the front of their defence, seemingly probing to see if they commit to a tackle, and then leave themselves vulnerable to being passed or rolled. We did it a few times. One touch, four or five passes, very fast. Fascinating to watch.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Certainly puts Bielsa still using an interpreter after having been in England for several years to shame
It gets more difficult as you get older.
I have lived in Brazil for almost four years and, whilst I can get by in shops and restaurants, holding conversations in Portuguese is quite difficult for me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If RDZ would have moved to England aged 63 rather than 43, he'd struggle a lot more with it. Not impossible to learn even when you get old, but significantly more difficult.

Also clear as a day that Bielsa got some kind of diagnosis that probably makes him less socially outwards which also doesn't help if you want to learn a new language in a new country.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Always thought that was disrespectful to his club. Can't be arsed to try and communicate with the fans in their own language. Puts RDZ's efforts in to perspective.
Tbf I always got the impression that Leeds fans fully bought into Bielsa's peculiarities and were in on the joke of him just not wanting to talk to the press.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree with the views that his english has come on leaps and bounds since his arrival. The translator is in the dole queue now.

I think Bob had a new word to try out in yesterdays post-match interview, when he described the game as having been "very animated"
The translator is one of his coaches, so he’ll be able to concentrate on the day job!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’ve somehow managed an upgrade. Tony is a ****ing genius.

4EE817F8-B8EF-48CD-A216-552DC99124E6.jpeg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
See, I don't agree with this. Some people take to learning a new language like a duck to water, some don't. And that's just regular life. Throw in the media trying to twist your every word, find an angle, or get a good story, I don't blame anyone wishing to stick to their native tongue. RDZ's approach is incredibly impressive but it's not for everyone.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
See, I don't agree with this. Some people take to learning a new language like a duck to water, some don't. And that's just regular life. Throw in the media trying to twist your every word, find an angle, or get a good story, I don't blame anyone wishing to stick to their native tongue. RDZ's approach is incredibly impressive but it's not for everyone.
Plus Bielsa is an outlier/oddity anyway, ignoring age issues and challenges.

Didn't they paint a line for him to follow into the training ground so that he didn't have to waste mental energy working out where he was going, so he could think more about football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here