Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Next season is a given.

This is the more worrying quote ....

next year he can COMPLETE the splendid work he’s carrying out
Don't panic!!

The Italian verb "completare" directly translates to "complete" in English, implying the finishing or conclusion of a task or process. However, like many words, its meaning can be flexible depending on context. In some contexts, it could be interpreted more loosely as "continue," "carry on," or "further," especially if the speaker is discussing ongoing work that's expected to progress rather than conclude. So, it's possible to interpret "completare" in the given context as "carry on" or "continue with," but it's less direct.

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know the Italian for straws and clutching? :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We lost our POTS last summer…….I have some faith in the management that we’ll be ok.
Big difference losing just a left back to losing our entire engine room.

I'm just saying we need to be realistic. As good as our transfers have been recently its a huge loss and bordering on impossible to replace in one window.

We'll be ok, but people are talking about progression which IMHO is unrealistic.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
World Club Champions 2025 it is then, and after we can give RDZ the freedom of the city, and bid him farewell.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Big difference losing just a left back to losing our entire engine room.

I'm just saying we need to be realistic. As good as our transfers have been recently its a huge loss and bordering on impossible to replace in one window.

We'll be ok, but people are talking about progression which IMHO is unrealistic.
We lost our entire coaching team just into the season….didn’t work out so badly. Glass half full here.

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
Don't panic!!

The Italian verb "completare" directly translates to "complete" in English, implying the finishing or conclusion of a task or process. However, like many words, its meaning can be flexible depending on context. In some contexts, it could be interpreted more loosely as "continue," "carry on," or "further," especially if the speaker is discussing ongoing work that's expected to progress rather than conclude. So, it's possible to interpret "completare" in the given context as "carry on" or "continue with," but it's less direct.

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know the Italian for straws and clutching? :)
I really like the English verb "to keep on". I found two nice definitions online 1.
continue to do something.
"he kept on moving"
Synonyms:
continue
go on
carry-on
persist in
persevere in
keep going with
soldier on
struggle on
see something through
Antonyms:
stop
continue to employ someone.
"we will keep all of them on and set out to surround them with more experienced players next season"
The Italian verb "to complete" means bring to completion, reach fullness, which implies that we are just at the beginning of a journey. We all hope.

Playing it straight, the translation for that would be "arrampicarsi sugli specchi", literally: "to climb mirrors"
Hi, is Italian your first language? I was wondering if there is a more precise everyday word than completare that means to carry on. If so, is it significant he didn't use it or maybe the meaning has just been lost in translation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Next season is a given.

This is the more worrying quote ....

next year he can COMPLETE the splendid work he’s carrying out
Christ.

I am now shitting myself.

We are doomed. DOOMED!

Chilling.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Hi, is Italian your first language? I was wondering if there is a more precise everyday word than completare that means to carry on. If so, is it significant he didn't use it or maybe the meaning has just been lost in translation.
Yep, I'm Italian and have always lived in Italy. "Completare" means "to complete", there's no word that has the exact same meaning in Italian like there's no word in English that means exactly the same as "complete". But obviously you can use it in different contexts to indicate different shades of meaning. Here I think that guy uses it to say "shaping his team 100% like he wants it, perfecting those things that still aren't quite right", rather than to look so far ahead as to indicate the end of his job there at Brighton. Even moreso because I really don't think even RDZ knows how long he'll stay at Brighton yet.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Christian Bucchi: “I’m a friend of Roberto, we played together in Naples. I stayed with him in Brighton for a week and watched how he works. He feels great in that environment, as I’ve seen him, I think he holds on to that experience and he won’t leave Brighton because next year he can complete the splendid work he’s carrying out,”

He has already said he will be with us next year, to a packed stadium.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Having seen that EL Final the other night, if Albion can adapt to the environment there’s nothing to fear in the Europa League for a team that can hold its own with and beat the best in England (assuming - big assumption- we can replace those who depart with players of the same standard). I think it’ll be nigh on impossible to break the top 4 via the league, especially now Newcastle are going to start bending the rules, but that competition offers a route to circumvent the inbuilt inequality of the PL and get a slice of the UCL riches. If we can get the squad together to cope, I think it could be higher up RDZ and Bloom’s priorities than we might initially imagine. So win a trophy as an objective, specifically that one. It would be a game changer for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here