Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi was NOT “sacked”

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Absolutely. A good, detailed explanation of the point I’ve been repeating. None of us know exactly what happened and probably never will but the idea RDZ was forced out is clearly wrong if this compensation clause exists. My feeling is he engineered a way out with his behaviour this year. If that’s harsh, then at the very least it’s fairly obvious he wanted to move on.

Important because it’s already the stick some fans want to beat TB/PB with - and that will get a lot worse if we struggle and Dr Zerbi’s next club prospers.
Exactly.
He engineered his a way out, also known as making himself impossible to the point where we tell him to f*** off, but still get compensation.

Also, we RDZ critics has heard about his "refresing honesty" for months and months, how is that compatible with this "engineering"?

And last question, what does "engineering a way out" really mean other than "f***ing us over"?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The thing is, who really cares how he left or, really, where he ends up? Managers have such a short time at each of their clubs (the average is about 15 months, no?), that RDZ'll have moved on - or been moved on - before we know it. Regardless of where he goes.

The days of Pep and Klopp-type reigns - let alone Fergie and Wenger - are LONG gone. That's why I wasn't fussed when Potter left and I'm equally indifferent about RDZ going. They were ALWAYS going to fack off at some point soon after they arrived, so I just look forward, not back.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I have seen a handful of posters repeatedly stating that De Zerbi was sacked. This is not true. I will explain why below.

I understand not everyone will be an expert on the finer workings of employment contracts of football managers.

If a manager is SACKED from a contract, the club has terminated their contract against their will. They will be paid compensation as per the terms of their contract in order to end their legally binding contract early.

If a manager LEAVES for another club during their contract, the recruiting club pay agreed/negotiated compensation to the contract holder in order to release the manager from his current club

In this case, the contract was terminated MUTUALLY. For avoidance of doubt or confusion, mutually means with the agreement of both sides.

In agreeing to part ways, either or both parties (the manager and the club) may specify terms, without which the agreement may not proceed.

Based on numerous press reports regarding compensation potentially to be paid by Chelsea to us for De Zerbi, it is highly probable that a clause agreed upon the mutual termination of his contract would be that compensation would be payable if he joined a specified club within a specified period.

But why? This is in order to protect against what is known as “tapping up”. Tapping up in situations like this is the illegal process of approaching a contracted employee, without the permission or knowledge of their employer, in order to bypass official channels and avoid payment of compensation or to bypass rules and regulations surrounding recruitment.

So, hypothetically, IF De Zerbi was approached by Chelsea while still under contract to us, compensation would be payable to us from Chelsea, as the manager still had an existing contract with us which was bought out by Chelsea.

If De Zerbi or his agent got wind of Chelsea’s interest, and he simply resigned, then joined Chelsea a week later, this could be seen as a case of “tapping up” and a pretty brazen attempt at getting around having to pay compensation for an asset they desire.

Therefore, to protect against this very thing happening, a legal exit document will have been drawn up saying essentially that both parties agree to mutually part ways. No compensation will be paid by either side - UNLESS certain criteria are met (see above - joining a divisional rival).

I hope this all makes sense and perhaps can prevent misinformation going forward.
Are you PB in disguise?👍

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I genuinely believe that it was as Barber described in his interview - an amicable, mutual parting of ways due to an unresolvable difference in opinion on how to move forwards. TB/PB would've liked RDZ to stay, and RDZ would have liked to have stayed, but they couldn't get over that disagreement and decided it was best for all parties to end it now, rather than it getting messy later on.

In fact, Barber talks about how rare it is for managers leaving to end amicably and this one genuinely was from both sides.

Agree with the OP - it happens quite often on here that a particular narrative becomes 'fact' after being repeated a few times, without a shred of evidence.
This is exactly it.

Fundamentally, I think RDZ wanted to change the recruitment policy and Bloom wouldn’t agree. Even someone like me, who loved RDZ, can see it’s Bloom’s club and it’s Brighton and Hove Albion. TB gets to run the club for the best of the whole organisation.

I’ve also heard some stories about how intense RDZ is / was, about how he always pushed for more. If true he would have been exhausting to work with.

But, first and foremost, I think he was doing that for the good of the club. He genuinely wanted this football club to win trophies. That’s a big mindset change.

As for the Chelsea thing, because he loves football and because he’s a young coach, he needs to work. It’s not fishy at all. Boehley only knows how to copy Brighton. When Poch went he only would have had two names on his list - McKenna and RDZ.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I think everyone knows this although some were doubting me when I said we would be due compo when he left , if he joins somewhere else quickly.

Chelsea thing seems very fishy.
I didn't doubt you on this, but on young Jack....I did!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have seen a handful of posters repeatedly stating that De Zerbi was sacked. This is not true. I will explain why below.

I understand not everyone will be an expert on the finer workings of employment contracts of football managers.

If a manager is SACKED from a contract, the club has terminated their contract against their will. They will be paid compensation as per the terms of their contract in order to end their legally binding contract early.

If a manager LEAVES for another club during their contract, the recruiting club pay agreed/negotiated compensation to the contract holder in order to release the manager from his current club

In this case, the contract was terminated MUTUALLY. For avoidance of doubt or confusion, mutually means with the agreement of both sides.

In agreeing to part ways, either or both parties (the manager and the club) may specify terms, without which the agreement may not proceed.

Based on numerous press reports regarding compensation potentially to be paid by Chelsea to us for De Zerbi, it is highly probable that a clause agreed upon the mutual termination of his contract would be that compensation would be payable if he joined a specified club within a specified period.

But why? This is in order to protect against what is known as “tapping up”. Tapping up in situations like this is the illegal process of approaching a contracted employee, without the permission or knowledge of their employer, in order to bypass official channels and avoid payment of compensation or to bypass rules and regulations surrounding recruitment.

So, hypothetically, IF De Zerbi was approached by Chelsea while still under contract to us, compensation would be payable to us from Chelsea, as the manager still had an existing contract with us which was bought out by Chelsea.

If De Zerbi or his agent got wind of Chelsea’s interest, and he simply resigned, then joined Chelsea a week later, this could be seen as a case of “tapping up” and a pretty brazen attempt at getting around having to pay compensation for an asset they desire.

Therefore, to protect against this very thing happening, a legal exit document will have been drawn up saying essentially that both parties agree to mutually part ways. No compensation will be paid by either side - UNLESS certain criteria are met (see above - joining a divisional rival).

I hope this all makes sense and perhaps can prevent misinformation going forward.
I remember getting a long letter from former a GF of similar length, explaining why it was she was not dumping me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is exactly it.

Fundamentally, I think RDZ wanted to change the recruitment policy and Bloom wouldn’t agree. Even someone like me, who loved RDZ, can see it’s Bloom’s club and it’s Brighton and Hove Albion. TB gets to run the club for the best of the whole organisation.

I’ve also heard some stories about how intense RDZ is / was, about how he always pushed for more. If true he would have been exhausting to work with.

But, first and foremost, I think he was doing that for the good of the club. He genuinely wanted this football club to win trophies. That’s a big mindset change.

As for the Chelsea thing, because he loves football and because he’s a young coach, he needs to work. It’s not fishy at all. Boehley only knows how to copy Brighton. When Poch went he only would have had two names on his list - McKenna and RDZ.
This.

Not sure why people want to dish out blame all the time (the notorious 'Bloom untrustworthy' thread, and all the other 'RDZ is a a selfish egotist' bolleaux).

It is possible to have an amicable break up.

That said....one side has to be the one to reach tipping-point first and, for what it is worth (which is nothing, since nobody will ever know the truth) I expect it was the club in the present case. Which, by definition, means RDZ was sacked. But.....in a lovely way.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It was very well handled by the club. Our MO is to offer an environment where we develop the best up and coming talent in the game and then don’t stand in their way if they want to move on.
From a PR perspective the manner of RDZ’s leaving will have ticked that box very well.
Yep, I think the project is to follow this plan but gradually build up a resistance to having to sell key players until we can compete with the top four. It’s going to be a long haul and we can’t afford the impatience of a RDZ to deflect us from that plan.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
To suggest ‘constructive dismissal’ is a very poor, very odd take. He took a job, with the terms and constraints of that clearly defined.

After a while he decided he no longer liked the terms, and asked that they be changed. His employer declined to change them, so he chose to no longer remain in the post.
Best summary yet of the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here