Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My Man City mate has sent me this, and asked me if we knew of De Zerbi's younger days before appointing him....

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiran_Lee

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
The thing we are desperately missing is support for Welbeck. He’s struggling compared to early season form and we have no one who can share the burden and provide some fire power up top.. It’s been the missing piece for three seasons and we’ve not even tried to address it in the transfer market.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Thanks for posting this. Doing this against Guardiola's side is amazing. I've just tuned into MotD to see what they had to say about it. It wasn't even shown. Do they not like football?
They didn't include it in the extended highlights on the Albion website either. WTF?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thanks for posting this. Doing this against Guardiola's side is amazing. I've just tuned into MotD to see what they had to say about it. It wasn't even shown. Do they not like football?
I mean its a nice passage of play but kind of similar to what we've seen for years now and the chance was probably not deemed close enough to a goal to warrant attention like that. Not surprising they didn't show it.

Felt a little rushed by Lamptey to head it btw. Could have taken another step and received it on his chest. Good run though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Was a good peformance from him and his boys today. First half set-up was a little naive but the changes in half-time were spot on.

Chelsea is one thing obviously but the key games will be Villa and Wolves. Get a win in at least one of those games and the feeling going into the World Cup break will be a lot different one than if those games just generate 0-2 points.
Naive in what respect?

Until the goal we were comfortable and that was a case of individual errors.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
The thing we are desperately missing is support for Welbeck. He’s struggling compared to early season form and we have no one who can share the burden and provide some fire power up top.. It’s been the missing piece for three seasons and we’ve not even tried to address it in the transfer market.

Agreed. RDZ will be a little bit more "Il furore" over what he needs in January and beyond.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Naive in what respect?

Until the goal we were comfortable and that was a case of individual errors.
Agreed, I didn't think we started poorly and didn't allow City to create much. Ederson's ball was magnificent and Sanchez didn't need to come.

The penalty looks like an attacker looking for a foul and the ref + VAR should do better.

We competed against Liverpool, Spurs & City. Should've beaten Forest and Brentford was an unlucky evening when they scored their chances and we didn't. 5 games without a win always feels uncomfortable but there are plenty of signs to suggest we will be fine

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't know if it's that we were distracted by the Potter/Cucurella/Gallagher sideshow, but it seemed like the fans weren't generally as nervy with the playing out from the back. Under De Zerbi we seem to want them to get close before we play it out, rather than just getting them to move forward a bit, we seem to wait until the players can feel their opponent's breath.

I say generally, there's a kid behind me who seems to still get nervous. Constantly terrified, but also complains about us making it too easy because chelsea made two consecutive passes in their own half, so put his nervousness in context.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
He is crazy and extremely passionate. Lives every kick of the ball, constantly berating his assistant and telling the subs what to expect. Love it.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My thoughts on De Zerbi so far:
  • We play a very bold style of football, where we dominate for certain periods of a match, and if we had more clinical players would smash the opposition. Potter was similar but RDZ's style seems to be waaay more intense. The fact that we were able to dominate the strongest team (Man City) with one of the greatest managers (Guardiola) the opening 25 or so minutes of the match vs Man City last week is a testament to RDZ as a coach and a tactician.
  • Defensively we play out the back, again similar to Potter, but taken up another level. Much more riskier than Potterball, but it also draws the opposition in and we can counter attack. Against Chelsea, despite the risks of this style of defending, they created very little. I felt we could have beaten Chelsea by more than 4-1, which is something unthinkable before RDZ took over.
  • RDZ was able to impose his style of football vs Chelsea and comfortably won the battle of the managers with Potter. Again this is a testament to RDZ when you consider it's us vs a Big Six club and all that.
  • With RDZ's style of football and record at Sassuolo, I am very surprised a bigger Serie A club didn't try to pick him up.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
  • With RDZ's style of football and record at Sassuolo, I am very surprised a bigger Serie A club didn't try to pick him up.
Weren't Juventus reportedly sniffing around him when he joined us? Though that might have been a story put out by RDZ's people as a negotiation tactic.
Anyway, I felt very positive about his appointment initially, started worrying a bit after Brentford and Forest, and am back to maximum positivity after Chelsea. I'm looking forward to seeing how we play once we've signed a few players that RDZ wants. I'm betting we're going to be a lot of fun.

ukpolska

Dec 30, 2017
Warsaw, Poland
I am in Kyiv this weekend, and last night I wore my Brighton shirt when I watched the match on my laptop in the hotel bar.

So many Shakhtar Donetsk fans came up and asked if they could watch the match due to their old manager De Zerbi, and we had about fifty people watching, so at half-time, we linked my laptop to the TV, and even more people started watching, and we had about 100 people cheering and shouting for Brighton by the end of the match.

There were support workers, doctors, nurses, soldiers and even war reporters, and it was a fantastic afternoon, one of the best I have had here, and we celebrated afterwards in the dark as there was a blackout with vodka and singing patriotic war songs by candlelight.

Finally got to bed around 10.30, and Brighton has a whole new but small passionate supporter base in Ukraine now – good times. ;):albion2:;)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am in Kyiv this weekend, and last night I wore my Brighton shirt when I watched the match on my laptop in the hotel bar.

So many Shakhtar Donetsk fans came up and asked if they could watch the match due to their old manager De Zerbi, and we had about fifty people watching, so at half-time, we linked my laptop to the TV, and even more people started watching, and we had about 100 people cheering and shouting for Brighton by the end of the match.

There were support workers, doctors, nurses, soldiers and even war reporters, and it was a fantastic afternoon, one of the best I have had here, and we celebrated afterwards in the dark as there was a blackout with vodka and singing patriotic war songs by candlelight.

Finally got to bed around 10.30, and Brighton has a whole new but small passionate supporter base in Ukraine now – good times. ;):albion2:;)
Brilliant, just brilliant…

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Players already looking more comfortable passing out from deeper positions but the key difference for me is the speed we are now moving the ball from box to box once the press has been beaten. Gone are the multiple touches and it’s now three first time passes and we are in the box. It pulls the opposition all over the place.

RDZ already feels like an upgrade to me and the players seem to be responding to his style, really excited to see this evolve and only shame is there is a shit World Cup nobody wants robbing us of watching more of this in the run up to Xmas

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here