Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Now we've had a home match, many more people will have got a first hand look at the very early stages of De Zerbiball. I thought a thread for everyone to post their observations, comments on it etc might be interesting.

I think most people will dismiss the opinions of any one whose talks in absolutes after two games. So I want to acknowledge right off the bat that it is early days and there's only so much to read into what we've seen. I don't want to be all thread police, but my intent for this isn't for 'we're doomed' or 'we're heading to europe' type extremes, and maybe hope for it to act as a record for everyone to add their thoughts as we progress and the players get more comfortable and confident with it. Maybe it'll be good in future months to look back and see the progress.

With all that said, my thoughts after one live game (I didn't go to Liverpool)...

It seemed to me like we took more chances with our passing. Like under Potter there was a sense of 'look for the pass that you're almost certain to make', so there was more holding onto the ball, playing to someone in a less progressive position. I don't think that is a revelatory observation. It feels like an extension to the 'shoot-gate' comments - the desire to have attackers look for someone in a better position before shooting themselves. In this game, it felt like we were making passes that rather than 'almost certain', were more 'fairly certain'. Didn't always come off, there were more interceptions (showing the benefit of Potter's approach, so I don't want this to seem like an attack on that).

When playing at the back, that seemed to make a lot of fans a bit more nervous, which I'm sure doesn't help the players (Dunk seemed to take issue with the North Stand in that first half), so it's not just going to take belief from the players to play this football, but I think the fans are going to need to have more courage. I did feel during the game as if many of the fans still can't accept we're a premier league club - the fear whenever we tried to play football in close quarters in our own half seemed of the level that we used to feel back in the championship/league one when we had cup games against prem opponents. The gulf in quality isn't as large as it used to be and I think we as fans are going to have to be a bit more relaxed about our ball playing.

Attacking-wise it was hard to see much in the way of change. Tottenham were a very disciplined defensive unit, hard to break down. Certainly wasn't on a par with the attacking v Liverpool, but that was away v a team that are not currently doing well with the defensive discipline.

For me, as disappoonting as the result was and as frustrating as our final third play was, I am excited that we might be a mit more aggressive/daring in our passing. It will speed up our attacks, and hopefully help us breakdown stout defences when we get better and more comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Too soon.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Now we've had a home match, many more people will have got a first hand look at the very early stages of Di Zerbiball. I thought a thread for everyone to post their observations, comments on it etc might be interesting.

I think most people will dismiss the opinions of any one whose talks in absolutes after two games. So I want to acknowledge right off the bat that it is early days and there's only so much to read into what we've seen. I don't want to be all thread police, but my intent for this isn't for 'we're doomed' or 'we're heading to europe' type extremes, and maybe hope for it to act as a record for everyone to add their thoughts as we progress and the players get more comfortable and confident with it. Maybe it'll be good in future months to look back and see the progress.

With all that said, my thoughts after one live game (I didn't go to Liverpool)...

It seemed to me like we took more chances with our passing. Like under Potter there was a sense of 'look for the pass that you're almost certain to make', so there was more holding onto the ball, playing to someone in a less progressive position. I don't think that is a revelatory observation. It feels like an extension to the 'shoot-gate' comments - the desire to have attackers look for someone in a better position before shooting themselves. In this game, it felt like we were making passes that rather than 'almost certain', were more 'fairly certain'. Didn't always come off, there were more interceptions (showing the benefit of Potter's approach, so I don't want this to seem like an attack on that).

When playing at the back, that seemed to make a lot of fans a bit more nervous, which I'm sure doesn't help the players (Dunk seemed to take issue with the North Stand in that first half), so it's not just going to take belief from the players to play this football, but I think the fans are going to need to have more courage. I did feel during the game as if many of the fans still can't accept we're a premier league club - the fear whenever we tried to play football in close quarters in our own half seemed of the level that we used to feel back in the championship/league one when we had cup games against prem opponents. The gulf in quality isn't as large as it used to be and I think we as fans are going to have to be a bit more relaxed about our ball playing.

Attacking-wise it was hard to see much in the way of change. Tottenham were a very disciplined defensive unit, hard to break down. Certainly wasn't on a par with the attacking v Liverpool, but that was away v a team that are not currently doing well with the defensive discipline.

For me, as disappoonting as the result was and as frustrating as our final third play was, I am excited that we might be a mit more aggressive/daring in our passing. It will speed up our attacks, and hopefully help us breakdown stout defences when we get better and more comfortable with it.

Havnt got an issue with playing at the back…but yesterday we seemed to almost be doing it on our own goal line…they pressed us and at times forced us to play it long and lose it…a few times Sanchez (and I’m not having a go at him) plays it to a player on the edge of the box who’s facing his own goal with a Tottenham player snapping at his heels, what’s that all about

Noticeable difference..DZ moves around his technical area a lot lol

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why are we trying to pass the ball in the net? Talk about over do things around the box. 1-0 down isn’t really the time for Trossard to try audacious lobs to Lallana.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Think his style is to invite pressure and play through it. Means passing around at the back.

So the moaners will moan.

The groaners will groan.

The rest of us will get a bit edgy but enjoy the football from the best team in the PL.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Drawing their press in to the extreme, whilst being quite lethargic with our passing was almost suicidal.

Gave away possession with ease, thought the idea was to look after the ball?
Will make for some awful viewing against the better teams in this league who collectively press high in 3s.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Think his style is to invite pressure and play through it. Means passing around at the back.

So the moaners will moan.

The groaners will groan.

The rest of us will get a bit edgy but enjoy the football from the best team in the PL.
Yeah didn’t work though. Just seems to invite extra pressure and one mistake we are a goal down unnecessary IMO. One or two passes get the ball up the pitch even Potter ditched this to an extent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
feels a bit like Potter but going back a year or two. just when we'd got some assertivness in the final third. supposed to favour flair not the Italian stoic defense as an art form Conte perfers, which stifled us yesturday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why are we trying to pass the ball in the net? Talk about over do things around the box. 1-0 down isn’t really the time for Trossard to try audacious lobs to Lallana.

Maybe that's exactly the kind of move required to unlock a very well-drilled Spurs defence. Besides, rather than try and pass the ball into the net, Welbeck scuffed a couple of half-decent chances round the post. So we did try to mix things up a bit. Just didn't quite work out on the day

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Early days.

From the two games so far, we are inviting the press more, playing football in deeper positions under more pressure and we seem to be moving the ball a bit quicker. I believe we may be in for more exciting/nervous higher risk football than the last couple of seasons. However we have only seen us against a couple of the top teams who were always willing to come and play and, consequently, let us play.

Where we have struggled in the past is against the lower teams who look to defend first. I think the next couple of games will give us a better impression of where we are going 'all round'.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The amount of times we broke through their press was impressive and we did this by inviting their midfielders to engage,of course this is risky but on the whole I thought we played very well without really troubling Lorris too much.

I get the risky bit at the back but we did overplay it a bit up front, it will probably work against 70% of the other teams but we will have to suffer sometimes if this is the way the manager wants to play.

Watching Spurs was rather dull and even though they came away with the points which is what matters I think I'd want to be entertained a bit more as a Spurs fan which thankfully I'm not.

I sense a certain frustration in the manager that he's struggling to get across what he actually wants to say to the media and perhaps the players,but I'm sure he will pick up the language quickly and he will settle into his role much better,I think he just wants to work with the players and the rest of what comes with being a football manager at the highest level holds absolutely no interest to him at all.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Too soon to comment. 2 games, against top opposition, are not enough to make any useful assessment. We could have lost both those games with any manager.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe that's exactly the kind of move required to unlock a very well-drilled Spurs defence. Besides, rather than try and pass the ball into the net, Welbeck scuffed a couple of half-decent chances round the post. So we did try to mix things up a bit. Just didn't quite work out on the day
Build up play was to slow needed Lamptey/Mitoma on around 50 mins. Sessegnon had March in his pocket changes were needed a lot quicker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here