Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If you've any reporting, interviews that backs this up then do share them ...otherwise, apropos of nothing, arguing that there's a "distance between the players and the coach" is insulting to both them and the coaching team.

It's very thinly veiled isn't it... good to see Mr. Souness has finally made his way to NSC.

Players seem very happy from interviews. They seem to be showing a real willingness to take on his preferred tactics and be brave in games so far. Tottenham were very defensive and very solid on Saturday and unfortunately, didn't really make any obvious errors.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
well the tactics twitter accounts are already analysing the way we play under RDZ.

[tweet]1579418400094584833[/tweet]

as I said last week, some obviously similarities with potter, but this thread shows excellently how we want to use the central zone to attack the opposition. also shows how good we are when we do move the ball quickly

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Di Zerbi thoughts?

He probably thinks we're a bunch of simpletons.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is de Zerbi's way of playing. It's to draw the opposition into a high-press that creates space in more attacking positions. We were actually pretty good at it on Saturday. It's brave, progressive and exciting and ultimately, something we're going to have to get used to as fans.

Well I didn’t think we were that good at it in the first half …maybe better on the second ..but even then nearly conceded for example Sanchez to Mac ..resulting in the Spurs player close to scoring ..I didn’t see much space created ..but hey this is my observation not necessarily a complaint ..

If fairness comes into it a draw would have been the result

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I didn’t think we were that good at it in the first half …maybe better on the second ..but even then nearly conceded for example Sanchez to Mac ..resulting in the Spurs player close to scoring ..I didn’t see much space created ..but hey this is my observation not necessarily a complaint ..

I thought we opened them up by “fannying about” at the back quite a few times but we (Welbeck) fluffed yet more chances. Not a complaint, more frustration, as I think he brings so much to the team but feck me he does miss more than he should….imo. He is close every time but no cigar at the moment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought we opened them up by “fannying about” at the back quite a few times but we (Welbeck) fluffed yet more chances. Not a complaint as I think he brings so much to the team but feck me he does miss more than he should….imo

Agree re Welbeck ..I’ve mentioned before that he really does need a goal off any part of his anatomy …has he got any this season?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Agree re Welbeck ..I’ve mentioned before that he really does need a goal off any part of his anatomy …has he got any this season?

no. though I think it is testament to him and what else he offers that he hasn't scored and yet people are mostly still eager to see him start. when he's running channels, chasing stuff down and stretching defences to create space for midfielders then there's nobody better. but when the opposition are backs to the wall and welbeck can't always be goal-side of the defenders then we still really struggle

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I thought we opened them up by “fannying about” at the back quite a few times but we (Welbeck) fluffed yet more chances. Not a complaint, more frustration, as I think he brings so much to the team but feck me he does miss more than he should….imo. He is close every time but no cigar at the moment.

I think there should be more use of the term "fannying about" on Sky's of the BBC tactical reviews. I could just see Carragher with his big screen... "well Gary here we see some quality fannying about at the back drawing the opposition on to them" . It'd certainly enliven the show a bit!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What huge over reaction for basically saying why change things to much? Sensitive little souls on here I will have to remember that in the future. Discussing the game on the bus back to the PR most thought the same we over did the passing around the box and found a frustrating evening of football.

A huge overreaction for saying you should go with another poster. That's funny. :lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Players just need to be better at it, they will get better at it.
He has barely met his players, and at the moment one or two will be struggling to fully get what they need to do. Watching on TV, we were a bit sloppy in passing, and didnt move it quick enough at times, its going to come though because we have players with the ability to do it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
We didn’t manage to break down arguably the best organised defensive blockers in the league. I suggest we all PANIC.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Thought we were quite poor and very tentative right up to the moment they scored. That seemed to snap us out of it and I think a slight tactical tweak also improved us, from there we passed the ball well but struggled to break down a well organised team. Pressing high is certainly going to help against the Low Block teams but Spurs are a decent, structured team who are difficult to play through.

I think the question of whether Potter might have got us a point or three is immaterial as he's not here anymore. I would like to see us shoot slightly more from outside the box. I know all of the stats say don't shoot but how many times do we try and play one more pass on the edge of the area and then it breaks down.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

If fairness comes into it a draw would have been the result

Don't overtly disagree with this, but after about 15 minutes I thought we were by far the better team but struggled to break down a very solid, uninspiring, Spurs defence. Below is a good example of the tactic being implemented in the first half.

[video]https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxm9oFmKDX2AK-H3rvi9ZqieW4ytxj_oIl[/video]

By drawing Spurs into a high press here, we end up having a lot of the pitch to play into with a lot of players high. If we continue to improve and don't have an opposition with the individuals that Spurs do playing a low-block then we'll do very well under RDZ.

Jimmy Grimble

Extremely naive for changing a system that wasn’t broken.

Too much importance on trying to play through the middle. We haven’t got Iniesta and Xavi in midfield!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Extremely naive for changing a system that wasn’t broken.

Too much importance on trying to play through the middle. We haven’t got Iniesta and Xavi in midfield!
Well...yes...we don't have that sort of staff.

I wonder what he'll do next?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I've not watched any of his previous sides to know how much truth there is in this in reality, but what is supposed to be the advantage of playing more through the middle?

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Football has become far too intricate again. The reason for our recent success has been mixing it up.

Similar to Spurs. Lots of possession never looked like scoring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here