Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] De Zerbi showing his crack?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to Inter Live there is a divergence of philosophy between the club and De Zerbi. Our M.O has been to recruit raw talent, polish it off and sell some of it on. De Zerbi, it is alleged wants to be more ambitious and retain the best players and recruit more experienced and players of greater stature. The report suggests there is a developing 'crack' between the manager and the club. Surely there is a compromise between the two philosophies? I'm also pretty sure Bloom shares his ambition but in a more considered manner with a greater time scale.
Sure there's a compromise. De Zerbi manages the team, and embraces the club's wages, transfers and sustainability policies.

To quote a passing meerkat or two - "Simples!"

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Interesting article where De Zerbi discusses his future...

"My history shows, I don’t move depending on important or less important offers. I haven’t spoken to anyone, but I think that in this moment for my path, for my life, it’s important to stay here.

“I had to leave Shakhtar after eight months and I did it reluctantly and to leave Brighton after the same amount of time would seem to me like not getting the job done.

“My will is to stay, then I will have to talk to the club and discuss what they expect, what they want, what their ambitions are. I won’t put my hand on it, but my will is to stay.”

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Interesting article where De Zerbi discusses his future...

"My history shows, I don’t move depending on important or less important offers. I haven’t spoken to anyone, but I think that in this moment for my path, for my life, it’s important to stay here.

“I had to leave Shakhtar after eight months and I did it reluctantly and to leave Brighton after the same amount of time would seem to me like not getting the job done.

“My will is to stay, then I will have to talk to the club and discuss what they expect, what they want, what their ambitions are. I won’t put my hand on it, but my will is to stay.”

This is good

But

It's also a bit confusing. Surely this was all discussed when we hired him. Can't quite get my head around it.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I agree, it is positive but a bit confusing. I was hoping some of the meaning was lost in the translation?

Some other interesting quotes from the article:

“I don’t want to move from Brighton and then we’ll see what happens, also because sooner or later I will have to move. I’d like to go back to Italy one day, but I’d like to experience other things abroad, one in Germany and one in Brazil.”

“Apart from the climate, I like everything about Brighton. I’m living a dream work-wise. I’m enjoying myself, I came from a very sad end with Shakhtar and maybe right now I’m enjoying this new experience more than in the past.

“I like everything, I like the league, I like my team and I like the way the English understand football. I feel good at the club and the results are coming too, I can’t ask for more.”

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
This is good

But

It's also a bit confusing. Surely this was all discussed when we hired him. Can't quite get my head around it.
What part is confusing, discussing with the club? It's normal, future ambitions and objectives change depending on how a season goes

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This is good

But

I imagine when they interviewed him they said the goal was top half, maybe a push for Europe or a cup. Now the conversation has to be if we we would accept just winning the premier league next season or if minimum one cup should be won too... :moo:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Was thinking about this the other day.

At the moment the stars are aligning for us in a way they might never do again- we've got possibly the most highly rated young manager in the world and a strong squad with 2 or 3 world class players.

If ever there was a time to expand the wage structure quickly and make a couple of big signings this is probably it. Top 4 might actually be achievable next season and that's not based on blind optimism, the stats since De Zerbi took over confirm it.
Yep.
Who knows whether the article is true anyway, but Brighton do now have the opportunity to become more ambitious than they have ever been in their history. Brighton should be aiming for much greater things than just cementing top-half status now.
Unlike Potter, De Zerbi is clearly motivated by more than just money. In fact I don't think that money features highly among his priorities much at all. He is obsessed with creating as close as possible to the perfect footballing unit, and he's a football genius too. Guardiola said this week that Brighton are the best team in the world at the moment at the build-up in football, getting the ball from one penalty area to the other. That's almost tantamount to saying that Brighton are the best football team in the world: getting the ball from one end of the pitch to the other is football, the only other part being to then put it in the net. And Brighton have the great fortune of such a man as RDZ ending up here and we would do well to do whatever is needed to keep him here for as long as possible.
I get the impression that De Zerbi would be motivated to stay at Brighton if he knew he could make football history here, and in fact we are a better option for doing that than an already established big club, and he's already done a lot of work here towards achieving that goal. If someone like Chelsea or even Spurs win the Premier League or the Champions League, that would not compare to the magnitude of doing it with Brighton.
In a world where everything is about money, Brighton are tearing up that script up with their performances on the pitch (a team assembled for £50m demolishing £600m Chelsea for example), and it would be great if De Zerbi chose to stay here to make history rather than be lured away by bigger clubs waving their wallets around.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Another day, another interesting article with comments from De Zerbi...

Referring back to his early (less than positive management role)... "That experience was very important for me because I understood and I decided not just to put your backside on an important bench for the prestige. I want to sit where there are the right conditions for me to work and at Brighton it has been the same."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What part is confusing, discussing with the club? It's normal, future ambitions and objectives change depending on how a season goes
Exactly it's hardly rocket science, I don't understand the desperate need to find a negative.

If the end of season discussion was 'more of the same please, but you are going to lose one player', RDZ is all in.

If the alternate discussion is 'we want more, but you are going to lose three players' RDZ is justifiably packing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here