Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi seemingly wanting a fight before kickoff.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes that same Pep. They all moan and complain but he ends up giving sarcastic laughs and expressions rather than looking like he's going to be waiting outside the refs or opposing managers changing room with a baseball bat.

I love RDZ's passion and said for years 'we' as a club are too soft (which is what I liked about Maupay's dark arts) but RDZ needs to start reining it in a bit, or it won't be touchline bans we are talking about, it will be stadium bans.

How many touchline bans do you get before you are giving stadium bans?

Looking online all I can see is references to Jose and Fergie having stadium bans for abusing officials and that you are 'not permitted to assist with the setup on match day e.g putting the nets up' or 'communicate with staff at any point before, during or after the game'.
RDZ hasn't abused any officials. He said, it was a Fulham player who swore, not him, for his previous red card. He didn't threaten anybody yesterday. Wagging a finger isn't threatening anybody.

Incidentally, the club want an explanation for his red card.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
RDZ hasn't abused any officials. He said, it was a Fulham player who swore, not him, for his previous red card. He didn't threaten anybody yesterday. Wagging a finger isn't threatening anybody.

Incidentally, the club want an explanation for his red card.

I didn't say he abused officials, I'm saying in general he needs to take it down a notch, it's twice he's been sent off this season and he's not even been with us since the start! Right from the off yesterday I knew he was going to get sent to the stands eventually.

For a touchline manager who's always barking instructions and not just sitting in the dugout writing notes until halftime, it's really not ideal being banned from the touchline but its do-able.

If he was to get a stadium ban it would be a nightmare.

Like I say, love his passion but it needs controlling a bit more as refs are really crackdown on touchline antics these days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't say he abused officials, I'm saying in general he needs to take it down a notch, it's twice he's been sent off this season and he's not even been with us since the start! Right from the off yesterday I knew he was going to get sent to the stands eventually.

For a touchline manager who's always barking instructions and not just sitting in the dugout writing notes until halftime, it's really not ideal being banned from the touchline but its do-able.

If he was to get a stadium ban it would be a nightmare.

Like I say, love his passion but it needs controlling a bit more as refs are really crackdown on touchline antics these days.
I was referring to your last paragraph when you mentioned stadium bans.

I have to say I thought we would be 100% behind RDZ but that there appears to be a minority worried about his discipline is interesting and I respect that view. Personally I don't tend to worry overmuch about stuff like that, I don't see any real evidence of how having a lairy manager harms us and it's bloody entertaining, which is really the point of football

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to say I thought we would be 100% behind RDZ but that there appears to be a minority worried about his discipline is interesting and I respect that view. Personally I don't tend to worry overmuch about stuff like that, I don't see any real evidence of how having a lairy manager harms us and it's bloody entertaining, which is really the point of football
Only because we lost - you should know that by now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm 100% behind him. About time we stopped being so f***ing corporate and so f***ing nice.

He gives us brilliant football and says wtf he wants to worms like stellini.

I reckon RDZ might want to apply for a season ticket though for the amount of time he spends in the stands.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

Ive said for years we lacked a bit of spite and some of the dark arts. So I love that RDZ is a bit fiery and passionate but if he starts getting stadium bans like Marco Silva then it's an issue and also you obviously set the tone for your team too......... Fulham basically lost the chance to play in the FA Cup semi because their manager and couple players lost their heads in one incident.

Like most things it's finding a balance.

Last edited:

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I wonder if Stellini engaging in discussion about RDZ's next job is what enraged him. He is always quite careful in responding when asked about others and would hate any talk about him moving (especially to Spurs) just before the game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dont know what happened when he was sent of but out of order to go over wagging his finger pre game. Should either be big enough to shake hands at that stage or keep away and let his other staff go over. He was saying may appeal because he said nothing to ref but that had nothing to do with it.
Stellini himself said that wasn't an aggressive exchange but just looked like it because that's the way Italians talk to each other sometimes. All the gesturing presumably.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
That clip is not clear enough that I can read their lips, and I'm shit at lip-reading anyway. In any case, it's all baseless hypotheses unless the assistants or the 4th official somehow revealed it to someone. They could have talked about their playing days for all we know. And it wasn't a big incident anyway.

About the red card incident, this picth-side video from a fan's camera shows a better perspective.

It seems De Zerbi was reacting by himself to something on the pitch (like any coach in the world often does) and Stellini, obviously understanding Italian, told him to stop complaining or to calm down or what-have-you. It's very ironic considering he was Conte's assistant coach for a long while and Conte is far worse than De Zerbi. De Zerbi seemed to have a (calm) word back but ultimately accepted Stellini's criticism, and they were both retreating to their respective technical areas without much fuss after that exchange, like civilized people.

But at the same time, for no reason at all the Spurs bench decided to collectively jump up to reinforce their coach's advice to RDZ to calm the f down (with probably more swears included) - which was completely pointless given that RDZ already backing down calmly after Stellini's words. RDZ backed away and was not engaging. But obviously, when one bench idiotically jumps up to attack a coach, the other has butt in to defend their coach, and so both benches began to fight. De Zerbi actually tried immediately to pull his bench back and diffuse the situation with calming words, so he did try to control them. On the other hand, Stellini was far away standing still, doing nothing and pretending he had nothing to do with it lol.

If I was the ref I would have sent off someone on both benches who was actually involved in the more animated part of the fight (and the 4th official must have seen some of those who were) and shown a yellow to both managers for failing to control their benches - even though RDZ tried to. A red card for something they didn't escalate and didn't want to happen is very harsh to say the least.

Just looks like a gormless ref who doesn't know what to do and just decides to send both managers off "for balance" and to "show authority".

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I wonder if Stellini engaging in discussion about RDZ's next job is what enraged him. He is always quite careful in responding when asked about others and would hate any talk about him moving (especially to Spurs) just before the game.

A ‘top 6 club’ 🤣 we could well be that…

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Just a couple of Italians who don't like each other getting a bit wound up. No big deal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
on sky sports they've suggested it was down to the spurs boss claiming RDZ success was entirely down to Potter

on sky sports they've suggested it was down to the spurs boss claiming RDZ success was entirely down to Potter
I thought the original comments were along these lines

But I've just seen what was actually said and it was nothing along those lines, Stellini praised RDZ in the press conference, im not alone in thinking this:

However, Gold does not believe that is what Stellini said at all. In fact, he shared how many of the journalists reacted after hearing Stellini be so positive about the Brighton boss – who has been linked with taking the Tottenham job.

“I don’t think he could have been anymore complimentary about De Zerbi,”

“We all walked away from it, and honestly, this is absolute honesty, this is not revising it with hindsight or anything, honest truth, as soon as the press conference finished, various journalists, we all said to each other: ‘wow, that was a better interview for De Zerbi than De Zerbi could have done himself if he wanted the job’. Because he really, Stellini, raved about him, glowing reports about the way he coaches, everything.”

Was all just so weird

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just looks like a gormless ref who doesn't know what to do and just decides to send both managers off "for balance" and to "show authority".
Unfortunately the rules say that if the culprit(s) can't be identified then the managers receive the sanction for failure to control their benches. I'm not sure there was any need for red cards though, especially now managers and coaches can be booked. The ref did go over the top a yellow each would have probably calmed things down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here