Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “De Zerbi is the first leader of football's next tactical revolution”

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
All hail our glorious leader!

“De Zerbi similarly wants meticulously-structured possession, only with greater forward-thrust, and wants ultra-detailed counter-pressing, only with greater purpose once the ball is won…”

“Brighton have more of the ball now than under Potter - 62.5% on average, compared to 49.9% - yet arrive in the final third in the kind of space that suggests surging counter-attacks…”

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fabulous, looking forward to Swanny attempting a dismantling of the these comments about De Zerbi and Potter. It is quite a harsh assessment imo.

Of all the lost component parts Potter had seemed the most important and yet his replacement has improved Brighton to such an extent he has almost diminished the achievements of the man who came before him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

“De Zerbi similarly wants meticulously-structured possession, only with greater forward-thrust, and wants ultra-detailed counter-pressing, only with greater purpose once the ball is won…”

“Brighton have more of the ball now than under Potter - 62.5% on average, compared to 49.9% - yet arrive in the final third in the kind of space that suggests surging counter-attacks…”
Not athletes bus aesthetes!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

Good summary but all been said before

I recall myself back in 2022 suggesting RDZ was at the cutting edge of the development of European football which met with a more than apathetic response …

“…Years later, when Pep moved Messi into a central position in a 4-3-3 formation, in what had become known as a ‘False 9’, he built on Roma’s approach with Totti, as part of a very successful possession based goal scoring system. Klopp’s use of Firmino as a pivot rather than the goal scorer at Liverpool, created opportunities for Salah and Mane to get behind the defence and allowed the fullbacks in turn to press higher up the field in the Gegenpressen style that epitomises Klopp’s style of football . Is it the fact that Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorer is a winger down to Salah’s individual talent or is it because Klopp’s system of possession based, counter-attacking football, has produced a very efficient goal scoring system that has almost rejected the need for a traditional one horse pony striker? While there’s no doubt of Salah’s talent, I think the latter.

These managers, by RDZ’s own admission, are his greatest inspirations and there is little doubt inspiration leads to emulation. When Lallana says ‘the need for a striker is a load of rubbish’ perhaps those not agreeing might take a rather more sophisticated look at the football we have been watching at Brighton, first developing under GP and being developed further under RDZ.

I wonder whether the ‘buy striker now’ fans really have a concept of how extraordinarily fortunate we are to have a manager on the cutting edge of the changing style of football and who is even taking it well beyond Potter and even beyond what Klopp has achieved at Liverpool or Pep at Manchester City?

This article below would be an excellent place to start for a deeper understanding of who we actually have as a manager in Roberto de Zerbi and the tactical shape of the football that he is developing at Brighton;

https://spielverlagerung.com/2021/1...bi-an-early-analysis-of-his-shakhtar-donetsk/

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just in case anyone missed this, a neat little video explaining our entire gameplan in simple terms under RDZ.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I recall myself back in 2022 suggesting RDZ was at the cutting edge of the development of European football which met with a more than apathetic response

“…Years later, when Pep moved Messi into a central position in a 4-3-3 formation, in what had become known as a ‘False 9’, he built on Roma’s approach with Totti, as part of a very successful possession based goal scoring system. Klopp’s use of Firmino as a pivot rather than the goal scorer at Liverpool, created opportunities for Salah and Mane to get behind the defence and allowed the fullbacks in turn to press higher up the field in the Gegenpressen style that epitomises Klopp’s style of football . Is it the fact that Liverpool’s most prolific goal scorer is a winger down to Salah’s individual talent or is it because Klopp’s system of possession based, counter-attacking football, has produced a very efficient goal scoring system that has almost rejected the need for a traditional one horse pony striker? While there’s no doubt of Salah’s talent, I think the latter.

These managers, by RDZ’s own admission, are his greatest inspirations and there is little doubt inspiration leads to emulation. When Lallana says ‘the need for a striker is a load of rubbish’ perhaps those not agreeing might take a rather more sophisticated look at the football we have been watching at Brighton, first developing under GP and being developed further under RDZ.

I wonder whether the ‘buy striker now’ fans really have a concept of how extraordinarily fortunate we are to have a manager on the cutting edge of the changing style of football and who is even taking it well beyond Potter and even beyond what Klopp has achieved at Liverpool or Pep at Manchester City?

This article below would be an excellent place to start for a deeper understanding of who we actually have as a manager in Roberto de Zerbi and the tactical shape of the football that he is developing at Brighton;

https://spielverlagerung.com/2021/1...bi-an-early-analysis-of-his-shakhtar-donetsk/

Maybe you should quote the post on NSC where you recognised he was at the cutting edge so soon after he was appointed back in 2022. It would interesting to see how (and if) your opinion has changed since then :thumbsup:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Maybe you should quote the post on NSC where you said this soon after he was appointed back in 2022. It would interesting to see how (and if) your opinion has changed since then :thumbsup:
Personally, I think writing my opinion in italics months after it's been shown to be correct, and claiming I wrote it a couple of years ago, is much more efficient for everybody.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I recall myself back in 2022 suggesting RDZ was at the cutting edge of the development of European football which met with a more than apathetic response …

Think Tony was there ahead of you TBF

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Fabulous, looking forward to Swanny attempting a dismantling of the these comments about De Zerbi and Potter. It is quite a harsh assessment imo.

Of all the lost component parts Potter had seemed the most important and yet his replacement has improved Brighton to such an extent he has almost diminished the achievements of the man who came before him
I don't see it as a harsh narrative. Potter laid some excellent foundations. Intelligent use of the ball, structurally compact and a great team mentality.

There are four key phases in football. With the ball, Without the Ball, Defensive Transition, Attacking transition. Potter was adept at the first three but struggled to find the aggression to progress vertically at pace in attacking transitions. When we did recover the ball and transition, defences often weren't stretched and could get back into shape quickly.

De Zerbi is still extremely focused on the first three phases. These are critical as when we lose the ball, we need to do so in good positions where recovery is possible.
The fourth phase is the killer difference and no one does it like RDZ. The baiting and exploitation of attacking transitions is just a joy to watch when it succeeds. Pace, panache, it's edge of the seat stuff.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015

Insane! Ridiculous! This is getting stupid! Cut it out! We’ll all be having breakdowns if we don’t pull ourselves to pieces - total madness!!??

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't see it as a harsh narrative. Potter laid some excellent foundations. Intelligent use of the ball, structurally compact and a great team mentality.

There are four key phases in football. With the ball, Without the Ball, Defensive Transition, Attacking transition. Potter was adept at the first three but struggled to find the aggression to progress vertically at pace in attacking transitions. When we did recover the ball and transition, defences often weren't stretched and could get back into shape quickly.

De Zerbi is still extremely focused on the first three phases. These are critical as when we lose the ball, we need to do so in good positions where recovery is possible.
The fourth phase is the killer difference and no one does it like RDZ. The baiting and exploitation of attacking transitions is just a joy to watch when it succeeds. Pace, panache, it's edge of the seat stuff.
I find it difficult to slag Potter off, when I remember how utterly dire we were at the back end of the season before.
Progress begets progress. That a modern engineer can design a bridge a mile long doesn't reduce the achievements of their predecessors.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Risk management. Potter was cautious, De Zerbi has massive balls.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brilliant assessment.

Incidentally, you won't remember but we are 'friends' on linkedin. Now there's a conundrum for you :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Optus have the best streams plucky was like watching the match on sky.
Going back to the topic RDZ doing a much better job with the same players must be a real kicker for Porter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Insane! Ridiculous! This is getting stupid! Cut it out! We’ll all be having breakdowns if we don’t pull ourselves to pieces - total madness!!??
"Having watched his team many times this season and attended his press conferences, De Zerbi has an aura - one you associate with the top managers. He plays off emotions on the touchline. And he treats his players like family. He is not afraid to talk of targets, openly admitting he has challenged his team to finish in the European spots. Many managers would play down their hopes - I'm looking at you, Graham Potter - but De Zerbi is more than happy to ramp up the expectation. When he talks you can see that determination. He makes you want to follow.

This belief, hunger and aggressive style of football in the backdrop of a no-pressure environment to achieve, actually makes their run-in something to look at in a positive view. It is a chance to take points off your rivals in a six-point environment.

And Brighton will take points based on their recent record against Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool.

In their last 14 matches across all competitions against the aforementioned opponents, Brighton have won eight of those fixtures, winning the aggregate score 27-19 while also winning expected goals battle 18.24-17.94. That is a phenomenal set of results for a team outside the so-called elite.

It is time to take them seriously.

They are monsters."

(takes out small onion. What a time to be alive)

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Interesting post. Is your claim here widely accepted?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

If Potter hadn’t laid the foundations and changed the way we play over two years RDZ would 100% not be having the success we are now, that is why I think it’s harsh to suggest how we play now diminishes Potter’s achievements :shrug:

It’s a brilliant progression of Potterball but without the players being so comfortable on the ball it would have taken quite a while for RDZ to have us playing like we are.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Whilst it's not as simple as Potter's 5th man at the back is in De Zerbi's attack. He picked up a squad that Potter had moulded for pressing, possession and passing football. De Zerbi then sped it up. I loved the way Potter used pressing and triangles to make the opposition look shit, it would get their fans on their backs and make pundits focus on their poor play and not our class. But De Zerbi has made the transition to attack from the back so fast that no one notices the opposition were even there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here