Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi interview on Bobo TV: "no team can change my mind"

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Thank you so much Sepulveda . A fantastic insight I wouldn't have known about without your translation.
No problem; sometimes it's frustrating to realise that other people can't enjoy the same things you can simply because of a language barrier, so I really like doing this type of things.

shibainu

Mar 9, 2023
Japan
Thank you very much for the great work!

"play without worries and have the possibility to make mistakes, knowing that the coach is an ally of his. Then you make a mistake and you'll make another but slowly you'll learn; ... you have to be that same kid from Rosario, not a guy who stops to think about every risk and has too many worries."

So, this is what RDZ means when he says "big balls" :shrug:

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
In return, would you appreciate corrections to your English?
Sure! I know I make lots of mistakes, especially when translating; for fear of straying too far from one language's original structure I end up sounding clunky in the other one. A fresh reminder of the rules is always welcome

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
You might want to turn on auto-translation of subtitles.

TL;DR - he's not going anywhere any time soon.

“I love Italy, our football, because I’m Italian, I’m fine there [in England] now, never had a doubt about coming to Brighton. I get along very well with everyone at Brighton, there is no team that can change my mind, I have made a commitment. I will hopefully return to Italy, I don’t know when, if I have the chance. But I tell you that I like being outside, the emotions I’m experiencing in England, the stadiums, then I improve my language, I know their football. You become master of the league when you exceed 100 matches.”

Love this type of stuff ❤️

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I love this bit: 'staying at home has already busted my balls'.

That man sure does talk about balls a lot!
It's a very common Italian expression to indicate that you've had enough or that someone/something is irritating or boring you. I looked online and the closest thing in English was "busting one's balls", though I've no idea if it's as common as its literal counterpart in Italian.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It's a very common Italian expression to indicate that you've had enough or that someone/something is irritating or boring you. I looked online and the closest thing in English was "busting one's balls", though I've no idea if it's as common as its literal counterpart in Italian.

When I hear that phrase in English it immediately makes me think of The Sopranos or films like Goodfellas. Presumably, it came to English via Italian immigrants.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It's much more common in US English than UK English, but we do understand it - and, as mentioned above, are aware from US films / TV.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
-Full Translation [things between square brackets are my own additions]-

Q:
I won't ask you who went after you nor who didn't, which would be the quicker question (if I ask you "Who didn't go after you?" it'd only take 2 seconds for you to answer), but I don't care about that-

RDZ: You mean now [during these last few days/months], or... ?

Q: Yeah yeah I meant right now, but as I said I don't care about that, especially because I do already know who went after you and who didn't. What I'm interested in, rather, is knowing your thoughts about Italian football now, after you've made an international tour and you've landed in the footballing equivalent of the NBA, and you've been recognised as- Oh by the way, congrats, we give you our congratulations even if you don't care about them, you've been recognized [by The Athletic] as manager of the year, so congrats. Sorry eh, but we have to congratulate you, en passant (see?), and so we do.

RDZ: You know, The Athletic is one of the most important football papers, no? And you know what I told them, when they asked me about that [being their pick for manager of the year]? I told them, "I think you've made a mistake." [laughs] Come on, with Klopp and Guardiola right there in the league!

Q: Yeah, Jokic [in the NBA] said "It's just a stat." He cares f*** all about these things, haha. Ok, so congrats, but anyway, you're in Premier League, many would want you back in Italy; we even debated about it on here one night, he [points at Cassano] wants you in Italy, we two say "Stay there! [in the PL]". But let's say that these are nice problems to have, because you've made your own path. You explained that for you it was first of all a journey on the personal, human side of things; you got to have only 8 months there [in Ukraine], then your game was interrupted, as well as your team there, then you've had 8 months here [at Brighton]... It's nice that you have this sense of belonging to teams. But there's also many Italian fans who are wondering - for example tonight [in the live chat] we have 20.000 viewers online and many are asking "Come to Milan/come to Juve/come to Inter etc.", and you know this. What are your thoughts, faced with this? Your thoughts and your feelings.

RDZ: Look, let's clear away all doubts. I love Italy, I love our football because I'm Italian. [But] eh... I'm good over there now. I've never thought about coming back to Italy this year. When they renewed the contract to the first player I asked the club to renew, and the player did renew his contract, and seeing the thing started from me, because I said "hey look, you have to stay here"-

Q: Lallana.

RDZ: Lallana, then immediately Groß. And when you make a commitment to them, either something big happens - like you have a fight with the club, and on the contrary I'm getting on extremely well with everyone there, truly - or you stay there; there's no team that can change my mind anymore. Because I made a commitm- for example, even with Dahoud; I wanted Dahoud two years ago already, when I was at Sassuolo. And Dahoud now tells me "Coach, I can come there, but I remember what happened with Tuchel, who wanted me here at Dortmund and then when I signed he went away. And what can I even do in a situation like that?" And I convince him to come - of course what convinces him is also the money, and all those other things, let's not kid ourselves here - but when I tell him "No, don't worry because I'll stay here", and he does come here, then it's not an offer from a high-ranked team or a prestigious team what can make me leave the club, no? What can make me leave is if I fight with the owner, if they don't follow me, if I slam the door on my way out. But yeah, if I make a commitment to a player, I'd then feel very bad breaking my word, breaking my promise to him. I will come back to Italy in the future, I hope, if I'll have the chance - I don't know when. But I also must tell you that I like being abroad, eh. Football-wise, I like it. The emotions I'm experiencing in England, going to their stadiums, all the different things- and then I can also improve my English, I can improve my knowledge of their football; right now if you ask me about Spezia I know the players of Spezia, but for example I don't know all the players of Southampton. Because at the end of the day either you train your team or you study your opponents, you don't have the time to do everything. And so I'd like to [get to that level of knowledge of English football]. In my opinion, you become proficient in your knowledge of a league when you're over the 100-matches mark.

[They then asked him about his external point of view on the situation at Milan with Maldini getting sacked from the technical director position at the club, and the young players that haven't done well there. And they also asked him what he thinks about Raspadori's potential, since he was his player at Sassuolo. In his answer about Raspadori, he mentioned Eintracht's Jesper Lindstrom as a model #10.]
Thanks for taking the time 👍🏻

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This interview I think has been popping up last day or so in some places without the context of it being from June last year, and given as a reason Liverpool will have to look elsewhere. Unless he has reiterated the same sentiment in the same place.

I always thought he’d give it one more year at least regardless of all the noise here there and everywhere. Nothing about him says “run off after one year”. I’m delighted because he’ll put pressure on the board to ensure our squad doesn’t collapse with ailments and fatigue half way again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here