Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] De Zerbi ball is a bit like Gus ball - discuss

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What is quite funny is how other teams are starting to try and play the way we do and the Leeds version is absolutely hilarious to watch,if they continue to try to play out the way we do for the rest of this season they will go down as it looks like their defenders have not quite got to grips with it yet infact I'd suggest they really haven't got a clue
Remember when people used to say we shouldn't try and play it out from the back against teams like Liverpool, who were the best in the world at pressing? What we are seeing now is the result of persevering with that tactic. Our defenders and midfielders are so comfortable at doing it as they've done it a million times before against top quality opposition. Potter really did lay the foundations for what we are seeing now, and RDZ has taken it to the next level.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What is quite funny is how other teams are starting to try and play the way we do and the Leeds version is absolutely hilarious to watch,if they continue to try to play out the way we do for the rest of this season they will go down as it looks like their defenders have not quite got to grips with it yet infact I'd suggest they really haven't got a clue
Well thats much where we were when GPott started to instil it into his team. I can recall numerous occasions when we were caught out, trying to play tippy tappy football at the back.

It takes both time to get right, and the right players to implement it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bob De Z has something about the touchline Poyet about him, but the Poyet approach was more akin to Potter's.

I would say we, now, are a cross between Pep's Citeh and Dyche's Bumley (before the ill fated year in Europe).
Well thats much where we were when GPott started to instil it into his team. I can recall numerous occasions when we were caught out, trying to play tippy tappy football at the back.

It takes both time to get right, and the right players to implement it.
Duffy and Mooy.....

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
DeZerbiBall is many things, but counter-attacking is not one of them in my view.
You're mostly right but it's clear to see why people view RDZ's tactics (incorrectly) as somewhat counter-attacking.

It absolutely isn't counter attacking in the most basic sense of a counter-attack being where you let teams attack you and then you hit them on the break. We don't do this - we are possession based and have the second highest percentage in the league behind City. His style does resemble the attack part of a counter attack however. By retaining possession as deep as the six yard box it gives the impression that we are under pressure (even if we are not), the quick break out of that system then functions in a similar fashion to a counter-attack in that it is a quick transition that often catches a defensive line very high thus creating space behind the defence to break into. This is something a counter-attack aims to do.

I think we are seeing a tactic that will start to be replicated across the game and this sets RDZ apart from his predecessors. Where they've been good at playing certain styles, they didn't reconfigure the wheel themselves to create something new and exciting.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
In fairness to the OP there are similarities between the two that weren't there between Potter and Poyet.

- Use of explosive wingers who can go both ways
- Encouraging a centre back to play long passes to open the pitch up
- Having a lone striker consistently play high up (when Ferguson plays)

All three follow a bit of an imprint of possession based manager and all three have big differences.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're mostly right but it's clear to see why people view RDZ's tactics (incorrectly) as somewhat counter-attacking.

It absolutely isn't counter attacking in the most basic sense of a counter-attack being where you let teams attack you and then you hit them on the break. We don't do this - we are possession based and have the second highest percentage in the league behind City. His style does resemble the attack part of a counter attack however. By retaining possession as deep as the six yard box it gives the impression that we are under pressure (even if we are not), the quick break out of that system then functions in a similar fashion to a counter-attack in that it is a quick transition that often catches a defensive line very high thus creating space behind the defence to break into. This is something a counter-attack aims to do.

I think we are seeing a tactic that will start to be replicated across the game and this sets RDZ apart from his predecessors. Where they've been good at playing certain styles, they didn't reconfigure the wheel themselves to create something new and exciting.
Yes, between us, @Sepulveda and I got to a similar place: see #34 and #37

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here