Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Ball and English Cricket ??

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Whilst England were smashing teams in the style that was loved it was brilliant to watch and had very few critics. Now it’s not working (apparently) this style of play is getting criticised massively, with the likes of KP (who never gave his wicket away cheaply or snitched on his team) getting in on the act will De Zerbi Ball get the same treatment if results don’t go our way for a period next season ? Roy Keane or anybody on talk sport being the KP version in football.

I know we’re all fickle but I can see future comparisons.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Won’t go wrong though will it ?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
No. I think the media will protect De Zerbi and blame the club for selling Mac and Caicedo in the same window

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes it will.

Sadly I might add.

The approach is not risk free, it’s high risk / high reward. Unfortunately for England though risk v reward has been out of balance. The reward for high risk shots this morning was much too low, the players didn’t seem to twig that.

Everton at home springs to mind as a comparison.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This match does remind me a bit of the Everton game. Just keep doing the same thing and they set the trap then punish us.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I reject the initial question. What England havr produced in the Ashes hasn't been "Bazball", it's been just reckless dumb cricket. "Bazball" was about controlled aggression, playing hard but not brainless cricket and picking the moment to attack (think Lewis Dunk stood on the ball 20 yards from our goal waiting for a moment to slide in March). This has been gung ho, blasé ego cricket, akin to Lewis Dunk picking up the ball in his own penalty area from a corner and trying to pass it to March through 5 opposition players, which would be dumb.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I reject the initial question. What England havr produced in the Ashes hasn't been "Bazball", it's been just reckless dumb cricket. "Bazball" was about controlled aggression, playing hard but not brainless cricket and picking the moment to attack (think Lewis Dunk stood on the ball 20 yards from our goal waiting for a moment to slide in March). This has been gung ho, blasé ego cricket, akin to Lewis Dunk picking up the ball in his own penalty area from a corner and trying to pass it to March through 5 opposition players, which would be dumb.
I think that, aside from the debate over picking your best wicketkeeper/batsman keeper, dropping Foakes was symbolic of a worrying loss of nuance that seems to have afflicted the batting in this series.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The comparisons are valid.

Baz won't stop RDZ won't stop.

There will be Everton at home type games. But there will be Chelsea at home type games as well

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
BazBall...

London Yes GIF by Lord's Cricket Ground

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Every now and then, a good coach/team finds a new way of playing that is effective against the majority and they outperform expectations, beating teams they shouldn't. Then, teams start finding out how to counter that style and it becomes less effective - unless it's being utilised by the likes of Man City.

A top coach will then evolve the style of play to avoid these counter tactics and continue getting results. We've yet to see whether RDZ is capable of that, I expect that will be tested this season.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not sure I’m seeing the conveyor belt of young talent coming through our cricket squad

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The way RDZ makes Albion play involves calmness under pressure, decision making and an understanding of what you're trying to do as a team. None of that has been shown in the last few days of test cricket. It's not Bazball it's playing cricket like the big 8year old who's never played before and trying to hit every ball for 6 regardless of the ball or the field.
I'm not RDZ has shown a propensity to rely on unfit or out of form players, or picking mates who've not played a meaningful game for 2 years

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Whilst England were smashing teams in the style that was loved it was brilliant to watch and had very few critics. Now it’s not working (apparently) this style of play is getting criticised massively, with the likes of KP (who never gave his wicket away cheaply or snitched on his team) getting in on the act will De Zerbi Ball get the same treatment if results don’t go our way for a period next season ? Roy Keane or anybody on talk sport being the KP version in football.

Of course it will. Football fans aren’t generally the brightest bunch. When we have a bad run, which we will, you will start to see the ‘GET RID OF IT’ brigade again.

There are still plenty of people at the Amex that think Colwill stands there with his studs on the ball because he can’t work out what to do with it.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
Both play a high-risk style, but England appear to have a lazy arrogance about them at the moment. They seem to think they just need to turn up, play attacking cricket and they'll win. RDZ has an obsessive, very hard-working ethic which means he'll put every available minute into preparing the side for the next game. I don't see that with England. They are more similar in attitude to Robert Sanchez in my opinion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not really following the detail on the cricket side, however Dezerbi ball is not especially high risk is it? its assertive and high tempo, press up the field. we still put out 4 at the back, only risky bit is the willingness to invite the opposition to press.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
not really following the detail on the cricket side, however Dezerbi ball is not especially high risk is it? its assertive and high tempo, press up the field. we still put out 4 at the back, only risky bit is the willingness to invite the opposition to press.
Genuine question: how well do you think this style of play could be adapted to other forms of football? I'm thinking Rugby, NFL, Aussie NoRules. To my untrained eye, all of these minor sports appear to be based primarily on hoofball. Well? ???

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I’d say the goalie playing it in to the centre half/midfielder with his back to the opposition is high risk. Had me flinching a few times last year, but I’m used to it now. I wonder how the European sides we play will adapt to it ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think the answer is certainly yes. Some fans are very keen to put the boot in. Pundits have their place but their opinions count for little.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here