Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Gea scuffing penalty spit

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The trouble is a booking or red card for these things would only result in a delay in the pen being taken, increasing the liklihood of a miss. Also you might get players not caring if they are carded if it results in a missed pen.

I'd create a rule that if a keeper scuffs the penalty spot or an opposition player approaches the penalty taker, the penalty doesn't have to be taken and a goal automatically awarded.

That would immefiately put a stop to it.
How about a compromise that for every offence from either side the offending team's player has to stand one yard further back.

For penalty takers it would add difficulty, and for the keeper it's "Three strikes and you're standing behind the net".

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
A bit telling that Solly's pen was the only one where we saw any antics from the other players. Waghorst kissing the ball before handing it to him (why are they allowed to even pick up the ball or approach the next taker after they've taken a pen?). In the meantime, when the ref's attention is distracted De Gea clearly scuffs the penalty spot. Again not sure why there isn't a rule to say keepers must stay behind the touchline during the shoot-out.

Not sure if either action affected the pen, but still...
Some years ago I remember we were at Aldershot and got a penalty. A delay allowed one of their defenders to muck around with the spot and replace the ball. Needless to say Sully miskicked it straight to the goalie. Cries from the crowd went unheard.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
A bit telling that Solly's pen was the only one where we saw any antics from the other players. Waghorst kissing the ball before handing it to him (why are they allowed to even pick up the ball or approach the next taker after they've taken a pen?). In the meantime, when the ref's attention is distracted De Gea clearly scuffs the penalty spot. Again not sure why there isn't a rule to say keepers must stay behind the touchline during the shoot-out.

Not sure if either action affected the pen, but still...

Had he not taken the exact same pen against Charlton I might have thought this impacted his pen yesterday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Most keepers have a list of players and how they take their penalties on their water bottles now.
View attachment 160090

With regards to keepers approaching the penalty spot, haven’t the rules changed from next season following a certain keepers antics at the World Cup, keepers are going to be restricted to their lines and cannot approach the spot or the kicker anymore.
It's rare that I can offer you some factual info about football but, in response to your question, pretty sure that comes in at the end of the season, because they don't (can't?) make such rule changes mid-season.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I thought Sanchez lost concentration. He’d handed the ball to our player each time and for Solly’s he didn’t which allowed Weghorst and De Gea to shitehouse. It wouldn’t surprise me if United targeted Solly for that as he comes across as not the most naturally confident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here