Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daytripper numbers to Brighton and Hove dropped by almost ten per cent in 2015.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trains, traffic and cost of parking. Getting in and out of Brighton by road or rail can be a massive ballache, not surprised people aren't bothering because with the trains as they are there is no easy option.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Parking is a big problem, but the main issue is the scores of beggars/ winos/ druggies who infest the streets.

Parking is an issue and there is a significant increase in street residents. I live in the centre of town and have noticed it. That said, I'm sure how these figures are calculated- or indeed if they can be calculated. It's not as if someone is standing at the twin pillars with a click counter.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's still easy the liveliest nightspot outside of London with great pubs and restaurants . But in the daytime its rough. Beach is overcrowded and dirty. Many better places to visit during daylight hours.

Bit harsh on the beach. I recently did an exercise with my team whereby we went rubbish collecting on the beach for an hour. I was surprised at just how clean it was compared to many years ago. I wouldn't spend a day on it though. You are right, much more to do.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If there has been a drop, one might wonder if Southern Rail has been a part of this.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Trains, traffic and cost of parking. Getting in and out of Brighton by road or rail can be a massive ballache, not surprised people aren't bothering because with the trains as they are there is no easy option.

Well that and the fact that summer 2015 was a bit shit weather wise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Bit harsh on the beach. I recently did an exercise with my team whereby we went rubbish collecting on the beach for an hour. I was surprised at just how clean it was compared to many years ago. I wouldn't spend a day on it though. You are right, much more to do.

Well, it's not the worse beach but on a hot summers day it is rammed with street drinkers, Croydon daytrippers, manky dogs on strings, pissed up idiots, the stench of last minute bbq purchases being badly cooked, rubbish left behind everywhere.
Out of interest what time of year and what time of day did you go litter picking. As most of it is cleared away by the time most people are awake.

No, head either side of Brighton for less crowded beaches where women feel a lot more comfortable getting their norks out. :drool:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, it's not the worse beach but on a hot summers day it is rammed with street drinkers, Croydon daytrippers, manky dogs on strings, pissed up idiots, the stench of last minute bbq purchases being badly cooked, rubbish left behind everywhere.
Out of interest what time of year and what time of day did you go litter picking. As most of it is cleared away by the time most people are awake.

No, head either side of Brighton for less crowded beaches where women feel a lot more comfortable getting their norks out. :drool:

Was in the morning. Which underlines your point. At least it gets properly cleared. No, I'd avoid the beach in busy summer for the reasons you give (even though it's at the end of my street). Although It's good to see that more attention is given these days.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Don't think she would be that interested :lol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In close proximity to London perhaps but the likes of Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds etc have much more to offer for a night out.

True. I have been to Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield. All good nights out. I have never been to Liverpool. Because I find Liverpudlians to be a bunch of *****.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Brighton has been ruined as a tourist destination by a moronic council who would rather spend money on a four hundred foot cock than sort out parking or alternate transport solutions. Coming for a 'family day out' in Brighton now consists of sitting in traffic for hours praying for a parking space that won't bankrupt you, not finding one, followed by sitting in traffic for hours waiting to get the f*** out of Brighton. If the council figures included those that have tried and just gone home/somewhere else, they may get to the bottom of this 'baffling' situation. C***s. :rant:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's pricey yet dirty plus as mentioned the parking is crap. You are lucky to get more than 30p change out of a tenner for a pint and a glass of wine, plus it can be horribly busy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's pricey yet dirty plus as mentioned the parking is crap. You are lucky to get more than 30p change out of a tenner for a pint and a glass of wine, plus it can be horribly busy.

Well, yes. Everything is vastly overpriced. In my local a Guinness is £3.60. I had a Guinness in The Coach House in Brighton on Tuesday evening. A staggering £4.90. Rip off wankers.

It's still easy the liveliest nightspot outside of London with great pubs and restaurants . But in the daytime its rough. Beach is overcrowded and dirty. Many better places to visit during daylight hours.
How do you reconcile a tale of visitor numbers being down with a claim that the place is overcrowded?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton has been ruined as a tourist destination by a moronic council who would rather spend money on a four hundred foot cock than sort out parking or alternate transport solutions. Coming for a 'family day out' in Brighton now consists of sitting in traffic for hours praying for a parking space that won't bankrupt you, not finding one, followed by sitting in traffic for hours waiting to get the f*** out of Brighton. If the council figures included those that have tried and just gone home/somewhere else, they may get to the bottom of this 'baffling' situation. C***s. :rant:

Out on interest where do you go for your family day out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here