Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daylight saving - time to change?

Perhaps not the most important news item of the moment, but it's back in the news again today. A Tory MP has had put forward the idea of not putting the clocks back at this time of year and having another hour forward in the summer.

The main stumbling block has been Northern Scotland as the mornings would be darker longer. Should we ignore the gripes of our Scottish cousins and proceeed with extra light in the evenings?

Personally I fnd it mighty depressing when it starts to get dark at 15:30 in December, and imagine how much electricity will be saved at the stadium if we can play August evening matches in their entirity without floodlights?!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I just wish they'd leave the bloody clocks alone. I hate the dark evenings.

Wasn't this originally brought in to appease a few Scottish farmers during the first world war?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Perhaps not the most important news item of the moment, but it's back in the news again today. A Tory MP has had put forward the idea of not putting the clocks back at this time of year and having another hour forward in the summer.

The main stumbling block has been Northern Scotland as the mornings would be darker longer. Should we ignore the gripes of our Scottish cousins and proceeed with extra light in the evenings?

Personally I fnd it mighty depressing when it starts to get dark at 15:30 in December, and imagine how much electricity will be saved at the stadium if we can play August evening matches in their entirity without floodlights?!

Let's just not bother changing the clocks this weekend and stubbornly stick to BST then they'd be forced to stick to it.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why not put England another hour forward, but not Scotland. There's no reason Scotland has to be the same time as us. Plenty of other countries in the world have several time zones.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When we went to Portugal for Euro 2004, seven of our party flew to Porto, one had to fly to Vigo (long story), landing later in the evening from us.

Got completely caught out when I said I'd go and drive to collect him at 7.15pm, forgetting that Spain is one hour ahead of Portugal, and making the poor fella wait for ages.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When we went to Portugal for Euro 2004, seven of our party flew to Porto, one had to fly to Vigo (long story), landing later in the evening from us.

Got completely caught out when I said I'd go and drive to collect him at 7.15pm, forgetting that Spain is one hour ahead of Portugal, and making the poor fella wait for ages.

Cool story :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why not put England another hour forward, but not Scotland. There's no reason Scotland has to be the same time as us. Plenty of other countries in the world have several time zones.

Far far TOO sensible! Tho the jocks would love it as its that little bit more of independence.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I agree, totally. I don't have a problem with it being dark in the mornings - at least it's getting lighter. However, it really is depressing when it gets dark in the afternoon.

There was a trial period many years back. It was a great improvement - pity it didn't become permanent.

I don't see why Scotland couldn't keep the time as it is now, if that's what they want.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no.

what people fail (every year) to realise is that we advance in the spring and this is return to normal. The advance is so that we make better use of the morning light. its not so we get to have nice sunny evenings.

what would be better would be to start going to work at 8am rather than 9am, for the same effect.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I hate dark mornings and I'm quite happy with the current arrangement, it's brilliant getting up at about 04:30 in the summer and being the only one about.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
what i detest is driving to work in the dark and then back in the dark...obv with a working day completed ( before some smartarse comments!) when it gets towards march and there is daylight driving home it is a great feeling..... simple things please - that's why i like nsc...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think we should shake it up a bit. Keep the masses on their toes. I say on Sunday we put the clock back three hours Then, at 8pm the following Staurday, we return things to normality by moving the clocks forward by two hours.

This will mean that everything returns to normal, and as an added bonus the Missus will miss the X Factor.

Sorted :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree, totally. I don't have a problem with it being dark in the mornings - at least it's getting lighter. However, it really is depressing when it gets dark in the afternoon.

There was a trial period many years back. It was a great improvement - pity it didn't become permanent.

I don't see why Scotland couldn't keep the time as it is now, if that's what they want.
It's funny how people are different because I think exactly the opposite! I HATE dark mornings and getting up in the dark, whereas I find dark afternoons 'cosy'.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Is nobody on here old enough to remember the last time this was tried. It was a disaster, I recall going to school in the dark (yes I was in Sussex at that time) There were accidents to school children who under the current system go to school in daylight are home in daylight. There is more traffic now than back then, so safe to assume more problems. The biggest problem is all this backward thinking going on in government these days...don't they read history books?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here