Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Day 14 - Fri 25th Feb - You're Going Home In A Sheepcote Ambulance / THE HUSTLER

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I bet the Falmer Parish Mag doesn't get quality reports like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite a gallery of NSC-ers there today then, shame we didn't realise who was who. In hindsight perhaps my report was a bit of a monster...must work on the editting side of it in future ;)

Good stuff from all :clap:

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like the score was 4-0 to the Albion today - possibly with an own goal, or three? :clap2: Fantastic reports, gentlemen - thanks.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Portsmouth did not get their new stadium about ten years ago because of a load of protected geese.
The local council passed the site for building after a public meeting lasting about two weeks.
It was then turned down by some tosser in London because of the above animals.
FALMER IT IS THEN!:falmer:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
Quite a gallery of NSC-ers there today then, shame we didn't realise who was who. In hindsight perhaps my report was a bit of a monster...must work on the editting side of it in future ;)

Good stuff from all :clap:

Don't you dare edit it. :lolol:
Well worth reading

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
What Ms Hawkins proved (that none of the Falmer lot have managed to demonstrate) is that real people use Sheepcote Valley every day and that real people are involved in the management of this public open space.

The Falmer lot never mentioned people. They mentioned "views".

As far as I'm concerned, Jane Hawkins, Harry Pugh and Ann Barker put on the best performance of the Inquiry so far. They might just have won us a stadium at Falmer. They certainly demonstrated that, from an environmental point of view, Sheepcote Valley is NOT a better site for a stadium than Falmer - which is what this Inquiry is all about.

The irony is that the Friends of Sheepcote Valley don't actually support Falmer. But Ms Hawkins did at least say that she wanted to see the Albion get a permanent home and she declined to get drawn into a discussion of where it should be, because she was too busy to give the matter enough thought.
Exactly my reading of it Lord B.
I must admit, my attitude at the start was that the "Friends of Sheepcote Valley" sounded like a right old fuddy-duddy bunch. But I left the Inquiry today struck by how much they genuinely love that area of land, and how much enjoyment they glean from it. The amount of work that they put in to maintain that area was hugely impressive - the carving out of steps for walkers, the landscaping, the work they put in cutting grass and planting shrubs to encourage their "wildlife corridor"...truley impressive.

Rambling, planting, mowing etc...its not really MY idea of an enjoyable weekend, but Ms Hawkins and her cohorts really impressed me with their love and dedication to Sheepcote Valley. That is more of an AONB than that unkempt field at Falmer could EVER aspire to be - and I should think the Falmer nimbys were left feeling slightly inadequate at their professed "love" of that scrubby field next to the A27, when the reality is that, by comparison, they have shown nothing like the love and dedication to maintain the area that the Sheepcote residents have (remember the litter/carrier bags ?)

The Friends of Sheepcote Valley have, indirectly, shown the Falmer nimbys up for the sham they are.

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The one sad thing is that the Falmer Brigade were not there to hear why Sheepcote Valley should not be visited by a footie staduim whereas that flipping ploughed field in Falmer should!
Sheepcote valley is a gem for all the people of Brighton and beyond and is looked after by lovely people.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Sheepcote Valley sounds more rural than Falmer too

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It was great to see a slice of the action today (it's not been easy to get down from London, especially starting a new job) and to meet Shoreham Gull and Ed (I was the fat one with four eyes in the green anorak, sitting with Mrs Barker and Mr Pugh). I think the Friends of Sheepcote Valley have basically destroyed any case there may have been for building there. It would take away an amenity that is clearly valuable to thousands of people. They may have been somewhat twee, but I was greatly impressed with the passion with which they put their point of view across to the enquiry. I think Ms Hawkins, Mr Pugh and Mrs Barker may have done us a huge favour. I am pleased, because if the club had decided to build there, I would have been an objector if I was not an Albion fan. I am a birdwatcher and I can agree with every point Mr Pugh made. Sheepcote Valley is a very important place for migrating birds, as Mr Pugh said. What worries me is the option that Ed told me that Lewes are now likely to put forward as an alternative, that we should expand Withdean to 14,000, and then wait for Shoreham Harbour to become available. That is a ridiculous idea, but we are going to have to put an extremely concrete case forward to scupper it. It was a thrill as well to see the lovely Megan for real. It seems that I have a lot of competition for her, however. I gather from Ed that she has a cold. Get well soon, Megan. It was very amusing to hear that Mr Clay is amused that large numbers of young men are coming to the enquiry to see his lovely assistant. Jon, we have good taste here in Sussex. By the way, who was there today? I met Ed and Shoreham Seagull, and Pevers and Gaffer have said they were there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quality reporting all round.

A definitely 4 - 0 result for us today and a huge thank you to Ms Hawkins.

Once Falmer is built we must get her address and ALL send her an Xmas card - imagine 22,000 cards arriving every year on her door step from grateful BHAFC fans :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
My View Inquiry day 14
Having read the excellent reports from Clown, Gaffer and Easy I am going to find it a little difficult to match the detailed quality of their writes ups.
Today’s visit was from the friends of Sheepcote Valley, who gave probably the best performance at this Inquiry so far, even my former university lecturers would have
struggled to attract everyone’s attentions in such an intriguing way.
Some people may have got the impression that what these people were talking about would somewhat be boring, but it was completely the opposite and it even attracted my attentions away from thinking about the freezing temperatures in the chamber.
My attentions were not totally taken away from looking at Megan from time to time, and I know Gaffer was glancing his eyes in her direction every so often.
Before I continue, I would like to say a very big thank you to the friends of Sheepcote valley for doing this talk today, because they may, and I say may of given us the passport for the road to Falmer.
Another cold day and this time the earlier start, but I was not so bothered by all that because I had a positive feeling about today’s inquiry
There were also a good number of Albion fans there today, so the seating on the clubs side was pretty much packed out, so if you came in after 10 o’clock you would have had to sit on the dark side. The attendance on the dark side was extremely low; perhaps the usual Muppets that turn up for them are finally getting the message.
From what I remember I counted three on their side including the old fella that Easy mentions. I believe he is going for the World record of how long he can sit in the same seat and just sleep. He is probably sitting there now dribbling out the side of his false teeth and looking like private Godfrey from Dad’s Army (What would his Sister Dolly think about that?).

Mrs or Ms Hawkins started off with a brief talk about who exactly friends of Sheepcote valley were, and what they where trying to protect. It has been suggested that Sheepcote is a Brownfield site, but in fact Mrs Hawkins put the record straight by confirming that it is a Greenfield site and is SNCI land, but also mentioned that people still give Sheepcote the label of that former landfill site, a label she would rather do away with.
Mrs Hawkins stated that having a stadium on the Sheepcote valley would be like having an alien space ship landing on the site and it would look totally out of character. (But I always thought that the Aliens were in Nimby village)
She went on to presenting her slides and talking through the different locations on the valley and what sort of views can be seen from there. I could see that everyone was interested by the slides by the way that their eyes were constantly glued to the screen and taking in everything that Mrs Hawkins said apart from private Godfrey on the dark side who was by now had his face in his lap.
On one of the slides showing Whitehawk FC, Mrs Hawkins jokingly suggested the Albion could ground-share with Whitehawk, I think we will put that down as a No.
Mrs Hawkins gave very good details about life in and around the Sheepcote valley, about the different walks that they go on and the work done to keep the site to a high standard.

Mrs Hawkins stepped down after about an hour and allowed Mr Pugh to steal the show with not only his expert knowledge in Birds but also with classic dry sense of humour, I could also hint his brummy accent, and he admitted to me afterwards that he was a WBA supporter.
Mr Pugh put good information across about the habitat of birds at Sheepcote, and then was cross examined by Mr White. The questioning did not last long because Mr White really had no knowledge of Mr Pugh’s subject, but was trying to get him cornered on whether he had read the evidence prior to the inquiry. Mr Brier had seen enough from Mr Whites questioning methods, and told him that Mr Pugh is no expert in being at witness at an inquiry, after this Mr White sat down. I felt like standing up and pointing in the direction of Mr White and saying “Sit down shut up, sit down shut up”.
Mrs Barker was the third witness; she was there to talk about the flowers and plants at Sheepcote. She talked for about 15 minutes about the sorts of rare flowers seen in the area and the insects that enjoy this area as their habitat
Mrs Hawkins returned to the dock to conclude her evidence and tell a few stories about the sorts of people that walk at Sheepcote and the reasons why they walk.

Mr Clay questioned Mrs Hawkins about open green areas around Sheepcote valley area, he handed her a map to refer to, to which she said “can I keep this map?” and in quick witty reply Mr Clay said “the map will cost you £5”
Mr White was next to cross examine Mrs Hawkins, and at this point Mr White must have been feeling very lonely today because he did not have Mr Hopkin to hold his hand.
Anyway Mr White asked a selection of challenging questions of which Mrs Hawkins handled well, especially stating about fans having to sit in their own sweat after a long walk on a cold day wearing several layers of warm clothing.
Once Mrs Hawkins stepped down, there was a sense of feeling that we had won another encounter, and I am sure I heard a few people applauding.
We all rest now for the weekend until Tuesday when it all starts again, and we will all enter to find out if private Godfrey of the dark side has achieved his record of the longest sleep and dribble going down his leg.
Also another good chance to see the lovely Megan and her gorgeous smile again, I can see that her fan base is getting bigger by the week.
CU GUYS
SG News at Midnight, Brighton Town Hall

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
Also another good chance to see the lovely Megan and her gorgeous smile again, I can see that her fan base is getting bigger by the week.

I think what's needed here is a 'Friends Of Megan' society... :love:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Can anyone post a map link for sheepcote please, being away from the area I just can't place it, and even when i did live in sussex, it was West of Hove mostly, so some of the more easterly areas of brighton just son't compute with me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Dont worry, I've got it , juts above the Marina.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here