Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper - is he the weak link?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Just curious as to why you'd have Gross on this season's form, he's been totally pony and nowhere near the levels he showed on occasions last season.

Pascal is more creative, and offers more when he’s on top form.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'm a critic of his because he can seem a bit lethargic, but the last two games he played ok and even had 3 shots on target. I couldn't have been happier when he scored today, but that lapse in concentration in a dangerous area demonstrates his inconsistency and focus. Doing one thing great and one thing awful in a game sums him up for me and he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his shirt next season.
Give over he's not as good as me [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought that he was ok today some good and some bad points but generally did his job. FWIW I thought Mooy was awful for the first 20 mins of the game but picked up his game and had a good 2nd half

Wolves largely ran the match in the first half hour, their internationals creating openings, Jota had a naive Webster and Alzate on toast, so Mooy wasn’t alone in struggling. IMHO Mooy was outstanding from there on in.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Indeed, I feel like I watch a different game to some of our fans, I know football is a game of opinions but how anyone can suggest Propper is a weak link I find quite hard to comprehend.

It's quite simple really, the people who don't "get" Propper are most likely the same idiots, who over the years have stood/sat behind me shouting "hoof it, hit it long" everytime a player gets a moment of time to pick a pass...

Idiots to a man...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's quite simple really, the people who don't "get" Propper are most likely the same idiots, who over the years have stood/sat behind me shouting "hoof it, hit it long" everytime a player gets a moment of time to pick a pass...

Idiots to a man...

Maybe Propper should "hoof it, hit it long" occasionally, rather than his fancy flick to a Leceister player that lead to their penalty, and the pass to a Wolves player yesterday.
Hit it long worked for Stephens yesterday for our first goal.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I thought Gross was poor today but a lot of the team looked a little jaded - we're not used to playing Thursday and Sunday and they were a bit tired. I'm sure they will be fired up for the Palace game - shame we'll be missing Stephens who is starting to show to the fans what every manager has seen in him.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I've read a few posts saying Pröpper passed it like he did as he was given a signal the pass was on.

If that's the case he can't be entirely at fault for the goal. Anyone know what actually happened?

Either way he is not the "weak link" IMO, far from it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Maybe Propper should "hoof it, hit it long" occasionally, rather than his fancy flick to a Leceister player that lead to their penalty, and the pass to a Wolves player yesterday.
Hit it long worked for Stephens yesterday for our first goal.

Yes, there is always time for a well placed long pass, but not a simple hoof.

Flair players will come unstuck sometimes and the way Graham Potter sets us up to play increases those chances. We just have to accept that will always be the case. As long as those errors don't become the norm then we just have to live with the occasional calamity goal!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wolves largely ran the match in the first half hour, their internationals creating openings, Jota had a naive Webster and Alzate on toast, so Mooy wasn’t alone in struggling. IMHO Mooy was outstanding from there on in.

I thought it was a really enjoyable match featuring innovative tactics from 2 of the league's brighter progressive managers. Wolves' 3-4-3 up against out 4-3-3 and at times both teams flexibly transitioned between various permutations of those set ups to make it a fascinating battle. Wolves press was interesting in that they seemed to be more concerned with preventing passing angles than marking players which was in stark contrast to Arsenal's very flat spread midfield. Wolves seemed to have been drilled into covering the passes we wanted to make and we struggled for ball retention in that first 20mins. But as with the 2nd half against Arsenal, we took a bit of a beating but slowly wrestled control of the game with Wolves being forced back into a 5-4-1 particularly second half.

Really good game I thought, went away fairly happy to have seen decent attack minded contest between two sides playing with a bit of belief and confidence. As for Propper, other than his poor pass for their 2nd, I thought he was dynamic, covered a lot of ground, supported our attacks going wide, and getting into the box. Far from a weak link for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gave the ball away for their second but, quite apart from his very welcome goal, was massively involved in our dominance of possession against a very strong Wolves who put us under a lot of pressure. I would like to see stats for interceptions and completed passes - I suspect Davy will consistently be one of our top performers.

Everything here. Yesterday was the lowest he'd scored overall all season interestingly. His pass completion rate was about normal for him - problem being one of the few he got wrong (Webster played a significant part in that IMO) led directly to a goal..............

Also yesterday - no key passes, no through balls, no crosses, no tackles, no interceptions. Pretty poor from a CM really ?

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/77429/MatchStatistics/Davy-Pröpper

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wolves squeezed the game in a real effort to stop us playing it into the likes of mooy and gross, it was crying out for the ball over the top. And the first time we did it we scored.
Would loved to have seen Connelly playing yesterday, he would have given them all sorts of trouble with his clever runs.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It wasn't a lapse in concentration, he played the ball that his defender who had a far better view of the pitch than him, told him to.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Get over yourself, Webster was pointing in the right direction, it wasn't his fault. It was a sloppy soft blind pass and nowhere near where Webster was pointing. Propper almost passed it backward.

Propper.jpg

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Trouble is he has been off form all season

If 'off form' is consistently and reliably putting a corner bang into the zone, only for a lanky bloke to miss a ****ing sitter . . . . likewise his free kick deliveries and more often than not crosses are superb . . . . Football is not engineering science. As has been said repeatedly, if he was any much better he wouldn't be here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Get over yourself, Webster was pointing in the right direction, it wasn't his fault. It was a sloppy soft blind pass and nowhere near where Webster was pointing. Propper almost passed it backward.

View attachment 118005

Not a precise science though, he was pointing in the direction of the RB.

However, all of that said, it could be labelled at anything, and it was just a silly pass.

It happens...... still got a point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Pretty accurate, though I didn’t feel any of our team were too bad, other than Webster and Burn (but Burn to a lesser degree against a tough opponent).

Alzate was shaky for me, but he just learns so quickly and at 30 minutes had warmed to the task.

Just thought Mooy was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Looking at those pictures, why is webster so far away from Alzate, poor pass yes, but that is some terrible positional play from both defenders.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking at those pictures, why is webster so far away from Alzate, poor pass yes, but that is some terrible positional play from both defenders.

Spot on. After a recent England win where we were repeatedly exposed down the flanks, Lee Dixon explained really clearly where full backs and wing backs should be in position, except when upfield in attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here