Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper is a bit of an enigma wrapped up in a riddle

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A very good player. My issue has always been that he's not built for what has been coined the 'Stephens role' in our current system, and our failure to capture Delaney twice, and the crocked Brazilian means we have no real cover for the simple yet effective work he does on the pitch. Propper is brushed aside very easily, is just as slow if not slower than Stephens and fills me with a certain degree of dread when closed down by a pack and the angles narrowed sitting deep. He has lost possession in some critical positions and despite popular belief, has the greatest amount of sideways and backwards passes out of the four (largely no fault of his own and more how we set up and the role he is deployed in).

We have 3 central midfielders for whom it is in their nature to drive forward with the ball, and one defensively minded. This makes me feel very vulnerable when we play without Stephens - an integral part of our defensive solidity. It is by no means condusive to a defeat without him, but I notice his absence quite glaringly and I doubt I'm alone on that. I wonder how many of our resident football purists wished Dale was there to concede one of his "needless fouls" today? Say around the 21st minute. This is why I have always maintained Stephens + a rotation of the other 3, with the exception of some very winnable home games. Even then I think it is risky because the winnable games tend to be more physical in nature.

Basically, if we are to continue starting with 2 out of 3 forward thinking central midfielders, we put greater pressure on ourselves to take our chances when they come as we will no doubt concede at some stage until Chris can make changes to see the game out. Either that or our CBs and full backs need to play a blinder every week. They need to show why we are playing them, we need standout performances, goals, assists to justify why we have weakened our defensive structure to accomodate them, a structure that got us promoted, and further kept us in this division.

Some will twist what I say as if I'm making out Stephens to be some kind of world beater. On the contrary, all I'm saying is that he is the only midfielder we have who is disciplined enough with almost 100% certainty to; track runners, close spaces, put himself about and won't blow over with a strong gust of wind. By all means suggest replacements in January, but don't suggest anybody in our current squad can do his job as effectively. Propper most definitely cannot and is not suited to it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your problem is you watch players and matches and come on here.
I was last to the Bridcutt party.
Only really getting 'it' when we sat up in the gods for a cup game.

I think the position of our seats (a bit above player head height) isn't conducive to watching that playing position at the AMEX.
Whereas wingers, full backs, inside forwards & North Stand corners is what we thrive on in the Family Stand.

With that in mind I like to watch on TV what I don't normally get a propper (intended) view of when at games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m still not sure about Proper- but then I’m not sure about any of our players at this level. Obviously they are excellent footballers.

Probably Dunk and Duffy and at a squeak Ryan (unless he thinks he can charge through 6 players - twice recently)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does he use cow horn handlebars like we did years ago. God you needed some grease then.

I had a pair that were so wide I couldn't go down any alleyways and had to ride round. :lol: :facepalm:

lugsy

Sep 2, 2009
I think he is a good holding midfield player but he could be more positive, he always passes the ball backwards never seeing the potential attack, maybe it’s the other players faults. A great example of when he can pass a killer ball is Sollys goal against Chelsea last week. Always plays the careful pass , got to be more attacking I feel.
I have lost count of how many times I count backward passes. Many other prem teams have players that can make play, I feel he can but beeds pushing.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He certainly can't score that's for sure just like Stephens and hopefully if we stay up we will need real quality in their place next season.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he is a good holding midfield player but he could be more positive, he always passes the ball backwards never seeing the potential attack, maybe it’s the other players faults. A great example of when he can pass a killer ball is Sollys goal against Chelsea last week. Always plays the careful pass , got to be more attacking I feel.
I have lost count of how many times I count backward passes. Many other prem teams have players that can make play, I feel he can but beeds pushing.

What on earth are you watching?!?

Never plays the ball forwards? He plays more forward pass more than the rest of midfield put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
What on earth are you watching?!?

Never plays the ball forwards? He plays more forward pass more than the rest of midfield put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's watching Brighton and Hove Albion, the same as me. Question is what are you watching?

You do realise there are comprehensive stats on the official website don't you? Propper plays it side and back more than any other player.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
He's watching Brighton and Hove Albion, the same as me. Question is what are you watching?

You do realise there are comprehensive stats on the official website don't you? Propper plays it side and back more than any other player.

Oh are there stats in football? Cheers for flagging that.

Of course he plays it back and sideways more than forward. Just like every other defensive midfielder that has been around. What has that got to do with the argument he “never plays it forward”. If we’re talking Chelsea last week how about his fantastic touch and switch out to the wing (it might have even gone forward you know) which led to our goal.

For a team like us that struggles with possession generally keeping the ball moving (passing sideway and back) is something that we should be encouraging, not all the time of course, but generally when Propper sees a run either down the wing or through the middle he is the most likely player (along with Gross) who has the technical ability to pull it off.

He must have set Izzy off running countless times last season, especially in the second half.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Oh are there stats in football? Cheers for flagging that.

Of course he plays it back and sideways more than forward. Just like every other defensive midfielder that has been around. What has that got to do with the argument he “never plays it forward”. If we’re talking Chelsea last week how about his fantastic touch and switch out to the wing (it might have even gone forward you know) which led to our goal.

For a team like us that struggles with possession generally keeping the ball moving (passing sideway and back) is something that we should be encouraging, not all the time of course, but generally when Propper sees a run either down the wing or through the middle he is the most likely player (along with Gross) who has the technical ability to pull it off.

He must have set Izzy off running countless times last season, especially in the second half.

Your statement was that he plays the ball forward more than the rest of our midfield put together. Whilst that was obviously exaggerated to make your point, the stats show that he plays fewer passes forward, both in number and proportionately than the rest of our midfield. So your statement is upside down.

In terms of key passes he has a similar amount to the rest of them, with Bissouma slightly pulling ahead.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
50 appearances no goals ! 4 assists ! :lolol:

Triffic .

Jorginho has an xG of 0.06, just .2 higher than Propper at 0.04 for the season, and that includes a penalty he scored.

So if you’re basing a holding midfielder on those stats I assume you don’t rate 57 million Jorginho either?

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I think when he plays as the lone deeper holding midfield he has had his best games for us ... put him just in front of the back 4 with Bissouma and Kayal in front of him would make for a formidable midfield trio but we tend to play Gross at the moment and sadly he has been lacking fitness and now form so far this season.

Alternatively lets try him as the No.10 as I say above Gross just isnt quite with it at the moment.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Jorginho has an xG of 0.06, just .2 higher than Propper at 0.04 for the season, and that includes a penalty he scored.

So if you’re basing a holding midfielder on those stats I assume you don’t rate 57 million Jorginho either?

He has only been deployed as a holding midfielder when we don't play Stephens. Otherwise he has the freedom to get forward.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Your statement was that he plays the ball forward more than the rest of our midfield put together. Whilst that was obviously exaggerated to make your point, the stats show that he plays fewer passes forward, both in number and proportionately than the rest of our midfield. So your statement is upside down.

In terms of key passes he has a similar amount to the rest of them, with Bissouma slightly pulling ahead.

Don't worry. I raised this issue last week after Chelsea and got pelters.

He's neat and tidy on the ball, but I doubt he plays more than 5 forward passes a game. Its always the safe 5-10 yarder sideways/backwards to a fullback or CB. I've been watching him for a while now and its starting to wind me up a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here