• Nah, Tennis is shite

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm not an expert on tennis venues in Belgium, but why do they appear to be holding this in a barn?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Edmund leads by 2 sets to 0. :thumbsup:

Goffin looks all over the place.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Edmund leads by 2 sets to 0. :thumbsup:

Goffin looks all over the place.

Goffin looks absolutely shit. He is finding the net half way up, his serves are going a foot over the line, and he is moving about the court like a 45 year old who plays the game to keep himself in shape. In all seriousness, I'm wondering whether tennis has a match fixing problem.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Goffin looks absolutely shit. He is finding the net half way up, his serves are going a foot over the line, and he is moving about the court like a 45 year old who plays the game to keep himself in shape. In all seriousness, I'm wondering whether tennis has a match fixing problem.

I think that's your £5 wager talking there.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Passing interest but it doesn't seem quite right that a country can be deemed to be the best based almost entirely on the performances of one bloke (with a little bit of help from his brother who happens to be good at doubles).

And what's more he seems to be the only TOP player that bothers turning out for it, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were all conspicuously absent when their countries got knocked out. Still... Come on Tim!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
And what's more he seems to be the only TOP player that bothers turning out for it, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were all conspicuously absent when their countries got knocked out. Still... Come on Tim!

This year that is the case. However, Federer won it with Switzerland last year. Nadal has won it with Spain twice and Djokovic got to the final with Serbia two years ago. So the top players DO compete in the Davis Cup most of the time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's really on this season. Djokovic has played in 22 ties, Federer in 27 and Nadal in 16 (which isn't bad considering his injuries) over the years. Just this year the other big names have decided to concentrate on their individual game this season. Still, you take your chances when you can. Bit like some of the big teams playing second string players for FA Cup ties!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This year that is the case. However, Federer won it with Switzerland last year. Nadal has won it with Spain twice and Djokovic got to the final with Serbia two years ago. So the top players DO compete in the Davis Cup most of the time.

Yep, they nearly always do. Goran Ivanisevic played when Serbia won it, the likes of Sampras, Agassi, Mcenroe played for the Americans when they won it, Borg for Sweden in 1975 and so on.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
I stand corrected. So it's more like we've just been lucky this year, in that unusually he's been the only top player to take part.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Passing interest but it doesn't seem quite right that a country can be deemed to be the best based almost entirely on the performances of one bloke (with a little bit of help from his brother who happens to be good at doubles).

Something is wrong when the format is such that the world No 2 can play in 3 rubbers and win them all winning the cup for the team irrespective of what else happens.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Capture.JPG

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If there'd been a 'I forgot it was on and didn't know who we were playing, but I'd quite like to see us win' box, i'd have ticked that!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
GB are 2-1 up going into today's singles after a win for the Murray brothers in the doubles yesterday.

Murray vs. Goffin first up today, a win for Murray and it's all over.

Live on BBC1 right now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here