http://twitter.com/esdavids

I might cry, he is far to cool to turn up there

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Edgar the Eagle
August 20 2010

Edgar Davids has agreed terms with Crystal Palace on a pay as you play contract.

Davids, 37, who has earnt 74 caps for Holland during his career, trained with the squad on Friday morning and spoke to the official club website shortly afterwards: "It is an exciting time for the football club, and it is an exciting time for me. I just want to enjoy football and show the best I can do."

George Burley explained how the move came about: "We spoke to Edgar and had a meeting with him earlier in the week. The boy felt enthusiasm and he has been training with Ajax but now its good to see us agree terms with him."

Davids has been without a club for the past 2 years, but has won numerous titles during his career so far.

Davids will be at Selhurst Park at tomorrow's game against Ipswich Town to be introduced to the crowd.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
I think that Palace are building a squad for the future and that future is Div 1.
With the exception of Wright and Garvon the signings are of division one or lower standard.
They still have not yet got Speroni, Lee or Danns to sign new contracts and they were all offered them some months ago.
Davids would be complete waste of their cash in my view, he is 37 and not played for two years.
Danns deal done today Hooray!!!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
That is just pure quality.

Out of administration and they immediately sign a 40 year old dutchman, who hasn't had a club for two years, on a 10 grand per week + image rights basis..

LMFAO!

Marvellous scenes.

watcher

Jan 12, 2010
That is just pure quality.

Out of administration and they immediately sign a 40 year old dutchman, who hasn't had a club for two years, on a 10 grand per week + image rights basis..

LMFAO!

Marvellous scenes.

Only he is on a pay as you play contract (and he is 37)

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

I hear that they want more experience in the side and made a bid for Jimmy Greaves.

Is Burley pissed again he referred to Davids as a boy on his reasons for signing him on the Palace site

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Yeah, but "pay as you play" means £10k per week...unless of course he doesnt play, in which case..well, whats the point of him coming?

The image rights obviously mean he gets bunced when they use him for promtional purposes..and who better than a gravel voiced,rasta, weirdo in orange sunglasses to promote Palace and all it stands for...he'll be making personal appearances on their behalf in nightspots and fried chicken outlets all over the Croydon area.

37? with all the injuries he's had he might as well be 57.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
..and who better than a gravel voiced,rasta, weirdo in orange sunglasses to promote Palace and all it stands for...he'll be making personal appearances on their behalf in nightspots and fried chicken outlets all over the Croydon area.

:lolol:

watcher

Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, but "pay as you play" means £10k per week...unless of course he doesnt play, in which case..well, whats the point of him coming?

The image rights obviously mean he gets bunced when they use him for promtional purposes..and who better than a gravel voiced,rasta, weirdo in orange sunglasses to promote Palace and all it stands for...he'll be making personal appearances on their behalf in nightspots and fried chicken outlets all over the Croydon area.

You have no idea if it is £10k a week - you are guessing - you are quite entitled to guess but please make it clear that that is what it is.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Don't know what he'll add to the team if he plays seeing as he's been out of football for 2 years but it'll certainly bring more punters in.
Could be a very shrewd move by the new owners and a bit of a coup.

I think you are correct there, I think a few gullible fans will buy season tickets just from his signing.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
You have no idea if it is £10k a week - you are guessing - you are quite entitled to guess but please make it clear that that is what it is.

If you were Edgar Davids-International man of mystery- would you move to Croydon, wear a Jesters oufit, and put up with the stink, for less than 10 large a week then?

Come on.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Do you honestly believe he'll live in Croydon or down a side road off Fort Neef high Street?

You have a point shellsuit. perhaps one of those elegant apartments over Kebabish outside the Maydie Hospital?

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
Brilliant stuff! Absolutely no negatives here for Palace - worst case situation is that he gets injured, in which case there's no loss.

Profile of the club's rocketing already. Brilliant decision by all involved at Palace :thumbsup:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

From Palace 2010 consortium website:

"We are delighted to announce the signing of Dutch World Cup star Edgar Davids. Edgar has agreed a contract worth £1 million per week but has been told by the club only to expect 1p in the pound. He has reluctantly agreed as the alternative was nothing."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here