Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David weir

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As said further up the thread, club took a punt on a sicknote. Almost certainly on a pay-per-play contract. Ditto Lallana. If those guys had a history of clean bill of health, they'd be WAY out of our wage range. Bit dopey not to see that eh?

And your point is ?
Is it - it’s not working ? Tell us why.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
“We are not a club that buys premier league ready players “bit worrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? I mean you left out the bit about those players playing for 'top 10 teams', which – for anyone who has taken notice of how the club does it's business these days – it pretty obvious, isn't it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Club took a punt on both players varying degrees of sicknotedness. If they didn't have that stigma hanging over their head, they'd be playing elsewhere for twice the wages

I think that given the choice of Brighton or a 'year in year out' top ten premier league side, all of our squad would be playing elsewhere.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Oh dear. Rattled the cages of the resident whingers.

The clubs strategy has been a DISASTER so far. I mean only 9th.

And look at the TERRIBLE players we have got/had. White, Biss, Caceido, Tross, Mac Argie, Mwepu. When we should have got JLinz on £200k pw.

This

We should have done a Leeds or Everton and and spunked money left right and centre and finished in the bottom six. Rodrigo? Robin Koch? Dan James? What were they thinking!!

Barber out!!

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
“We are not a club that buys premier league ready players “bit worrying

Patently untrue though - Below a list of players we bought ready to play in the EPL
Gross
Propper
Ryan
Izquieirdo
Trossard
Welbeck
Lallana
Mwepu
Cucu
Veltman
Webster
Lamptey
Moder
Montoya
Mooy
Krul
Maupay
Murray (second time)

All Premier League ready. You can argue their merits and their effectiveness but they were effective enough to keep us up

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A lot of it hangs on Potters coat tails as he obviously enjoys coaching and trying to improve players. If he gets an offer he can’t turn down it would be interesting.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
This same conversation again and again… essentially one of “I don’t want xxxx if he’s being sent out on loan, no interest, why aren’t we buying for the first team now?” or “We never buy Premier League ready players, we can’t sustain our position doing that” or “Buy that 50m striker (and smash our wage structure), now!”

What I don’t understand - is that our whole transfer/recruitment model is absolutely consistent and specific and yet the same people complain when we don’t deviate from it.

We buy young players with bags of talent at a cheaper price (and wages), develop them in the hope they either become a first team squad regular (Ali Mac/Caicedo), or are sold at a profit (Ostigard), or first team regular then sold for a massive profit (White/Bissouma)

Not all of these “punts” will work, but it is incredibly exciting (for me at least) to see if/when it does. I happily follow each of their loans to see how they are doing, as when they come back it may be like signing a Premier League ready player!

How much would we have paid for White, Caicedo, Ali Mac when they came back? Way more than we paid for them… how much are Cucu, Sanchez and Lamptey worth now?

This model patently works - yes, we might get bloody unlucky and sign more that don’t work out than do - but our recruitment seems to be bloody good right now so unlikely.

Oh, and we do sign Premier League ready experienced players who can help these youngsters along (Welbeck/Lallana) - who are worth FAR more than just what they do on the pitch.

We don’t have the finances to buy a Richarlison or someone established like that - but we do have the finances and more importantly the recruitment team/strategy to develop players into the same or slightly less standard.

This is how it is going to be for the foreseeable - it’s exciting, it’s working (9th anyone?) and long may it continue.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Patently untrue though - Below a list of players we bought ready to play in the EPL
Gross
Propper
Ryan
Izquieirdo
Trossard
Welbeck
Lallana
Mwepu
Cucu
Veltman
Webster
Lamptey
Moder
Montoya
Mooy
Krul
Maupay
Murray (second time)

All Premier League ready. You can argue their merits and their effectiveness but they were effective enough to keep us up

Not arguing just stating what he says in interview

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not arguing just stating what he says in interview

You can’t discuss anything here anymore squad wise. I’ve tried to point out the squad is already weaker than last season apparently it’s not and everything is good in the hood. I’m guessing there’s a reason why Conte splashed near on £40m for Bissouma but hey ho.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You can’t discuss anything here anymore squad wise. I’ve tried to point out the squad is already weaker than last season apparently it’s not and everything is good in the hood. I’m guessing there’s a reason why Conte splashed near on £40m for Bissouma but hey ho.

The starting XI is weaker, the squad is stronger.

Maybe if you argued the right thing people would be more willing to debate with you rather than just thinking you’re wrong.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This same conversation again and again… essentially one of “I don’t want xxxx if he’s being sent out on loan, no interest, why aren’t we buying for the first team now?” or “We never buy Premier League ready players, we can’t sustain our position doing that” or “Buy that 50m striker (and smash our wage structure), now!”

What I don’t understand - is that our whole transfer/recruitment model is absolutely consistent and specific and yet the same people complain when we don’t deviate from it.

We buy young players with bags of talent at a cheaper price (and wages), develop them in the hope they either become a first team squad regular (Ali Mac/Caicedo), or are sold at a profit (Ostigard), or first team regular then sold for a massive profit (White/Bissouma)

Not all of these “punts” will work, but it is incredibly exciting (for me at least) to see if/when it does. I happily follow each of their loans to see how they are doing, as when they come back it may be like signing a Premier League ready player!

How much would we have paid for White, Caicedo, Ali Mac when they came back? Way more than we paid for them… how much are Cucu, Sanchez and Lamptey worth now?

This model patently works - yes, we might get bloody unlucky and sign more that don’t work out than do - but our recruitment seems to be bloody good right now so unlikely.

Oh, and we do sign Premier League ready experienced players who can help these youngsters along (Welbeck/Lallana) - who are worth FAR more than just what they do on the pitch.

We don’t have the finances to buy a Richarlison or someone established like that - but we do have the finances and more importantly the recruitment team/strategy to develop players into the same or slightly less standard.

This is how it is going to be for the foreseeable - it’s exciting, it’s working (9th anyone?) and long may it continue.

Very good summary . Agree wholeheartedly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

People said the same thing last year... Ben Foster, who has a very well-visited blog and therefore allegedly must be trusted, said similar things... yet in the end, it worked out well. If most players in the team are improving, the loss of one or two players might not mean that the team overall is weaker.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
People said the same thing last year... Ben Foster, who has a very well-visited blog and therefore allegedly must be trusted, said similar things... yet in the end, it worked out well. If most players in the team are improving, the loss of one or two players might not mean that the team overall is weaker.

And in particular this is the case if you have a young side, which we mostly do. Players like Lamptey, Mwepu Cucu, Sanchez are, on average, going to be improving year on year

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Is our squad weaker than 12 months ago?

We have lost Bissouma but the development of Lamptey, Cucurella, Caicedo, MacAllister, Sarmiento during the last season is invaluable. We have added Undav, Mitoma, Caicedo, Kozlowski & Enciso to the squad all ready to battle for a place in the side. We have a low risk policy that has the opportunity for high reward and as long as we can remain competitive with the majority of sides we will continue to avoid relegation and miss out on a European spot. I imagine this could be us for the next 5-10 years

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The new contracts for Ali Mac and Caicedo suggests this man is some kind of magician of some sort.
Appears the Albion only recruit the best people which must be a good feeling for those that work there, yet disturbing knowing that TB and PB have a list of people ready to replace you. From cleaner up to Head Coach and D of Football!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here