Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Stockdale

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Norwich and Villa notwithstanding.

Remind me, weren’t both Norwich goals by Pritchard and freaks that hit the keeper and the post/bar before going in. Was Stockdale to blame? Wasn’t there but have a memory that there was something odd about both goals.

Edit - found the highlights, no way would I blame Stockdale for either goal! As an aside we don’t see many balls delivered like that Norwood one that the keeper did well to save these day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDcNsbmr2Q

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Remind me, weren’t both Norwich goals by Pritchard and freaks that hit the keeper and the post/bar before going in. Was Stockdale to blame? Wasn’t there but have a memory that there was something odd about both goals.

Both recorded as own goals by Stockdale, but were rebounds off of the woodwork. Norwich didn’t have a shot on target throughout the game but won 2-0. Freak accidents.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to say I would rather see Wycombe progress, for no other reason than Fleetwood are managed by Joey Barton... the worst exponent of our beautiful game that I have seen.
Interesting to see they have Ched Evans in their line up , he who served time in jail before being retried and found not guilty . Good luck to him though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Both recorded as own goals by Stockdale, but were rebounds off of the woodwork. Norwich didn’t have a shot on target throughout the game but won 2-0. Freak accidents.

Absolutely - nothing Stocko could have done.

I always remember Pritchard being interviewed at the end and being absolutely hammered by our fans, a lot of whom were still in the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Absolutely - nothing Stocko could have done.

I always remember Pritchard being interviewed at the end and being absolutely hammered by our fans, a lot of whom were still in the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Norwich fans co-opted that season's Will Grigg chant,
'Stockdales' on fire, your defence is terrified'
which I have to admit I found pretty funny.

Absolutely not at fault though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seems weird that anybody would wish the bloke ill or gloat at any misfortune he might suffer.

He was great for us in the main.

I think there is a certain blindness in football fans, where their love for their club prevents them understanding how anyone could not want to be (or stay) a part of it, even if it means a demotion/effective pay cut.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Norwich fans co-opted that season's Will Grigg chant,
'Stockdales' on fire, your defence is terrified'
which I have to admit I found pretty funny.

Absolutely not at fault though.

Yeah don’t understand why anyone would blame him for those goals at all, total freaks. I think with him being ex Ipswich, the Norwich fans enjoyed those goals a lot though!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't know why some take such delight in seeing a player who did well for us struggle. From what I understand he left us for family reasons. Some things are more important than football, more important even than BHAFC.

Seems weird that anybody would wish the bloke ill or gloat at any misfortune he might suffer.

He was great for us in the main.

His performance against Sheffield Wednesday was probably one of his best. I was gutted when we let him go , his distribution was excellent .

This, this and this. He was good for us and a decent bloke. Was sorry when he left.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was good for us and a decent bloke.

Is all anybody should be saying.

Laughing and mocking Stockdale becomes ever harder the further apart the 2 paths diverge.
Yet every couple of months someone on here is having a pop at him.

It just makes no sense, no sense whatsoever.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This, this and this. He was good for us and a decent bloke. Was sorry when he left.

I presume that would be the reaction of most genuine fans. I was also a bit puzzled that he would want to leave after he had helped us into the Premier League and seemed to have a good bond with the fans and to have done so much after the Shoreham air crash. I think what surprised and disappointed me even more on his behalf was that he went to Birmingham City rather than Leeds, the club he supports. I assume that they were splashing money around under Harry Redknapp though ...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Wycombe absolutely did not deserve to be in the play-offs. Regardless, they are - and anyone who beats a Joey Barton team is alright by me.

All the best of Stockdale, I had my criticisms of him but he is a good bloke and life is too short to wish anyone ill. He'll not be forgotten for being a part of only our second team to win promotion to the top flight.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I presume that would be the reaction of most genuine fans. I was also a bit puzzled that he would want to leave after he had helped us into the Premier League and seemed to have a good bond with the fans and to have done so much after the Shoreham air crash. I think what surprised and disappointed me even more on his behalf was that he went to Birmingham City rather than Leeds, the club he supports. I assume that they were splashing money around under Harry Redknapp though ...

As I remember it, Birmingham offered him a 3 year deal us and Leeds only 2 year deals. He also knew he was going to be second choice here so went somewhere in search of first team football, you certainly can't blame him wanting to continue playing as he'd spent a majority of his career as backup until he joined us. It didn't work out for him at Birmingham once Monk came in, but there is no reason to take joy in that. Stockdale was a great servant for us, a massive part of the promotion winning squad, and his actions after Shoreham show what an absolute gem of a person he is too. We should only want success for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is all anybody should be saying.

Laughing and mocking Stockdale becomes ever harder the further apart the 2 paths diverge.
Yet every couple of months someone on here is having a pop at him.

It just makes no sense, no sense whatsoever.

Yesterday I made some disparaging comments about a section of our support who get on the players backs early doors, and mooted that the absence of that may have contributed to our 'improved' performances (ManU excepted) in lockdown. I was accused of being snide. I also recall the pelters Murray got when he rocked up to score against us for Palace and Reading. Me and the lad next to me made the point of standing and clapping him off when he was subbed, while others booed.

I just don't get some people. Trust the manager. Support the team. Respect those who served us well. FFS.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think DS was just a home loving Yorkshire lad whose family and fishing came first, and football came second. Not quite sure where setting up in business with Leon Knight came into the equation tho :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't know why some take such delight in seeing a player who did well for us struggle. From what I understand he left us for family reasons. Some things are more important than football, more important even than BHAFC.

Met him and he was first class with my daughter. There is a nasty pattern on NSC that as soon as a player leaves us they:

A) Are open to criticism that they would never have got when they were here from most - suddenly they were shit.

B) Are open to ridicule for the rest of their career.

Completely ignoring all the positive contributions they made to our club...

Doesn’t sit well with me. Bridcutt, Buckley etc all have had the same...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Met him and he was first class with my daughter. There is a nasty pattern on NSC that as soon as a player leaves us they:

A) Are open to criticism that they would never have got when they were here from most - suddenly they were shit.

:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I kind of get it in the initial aftermath of a transfer.

In Stockdale's case leaving the relative comfort and safety of promoted Albion for the absolute basketcase that was 'Arry lead Brum, is going to lead to some derision.
Much like following Poyet to Sunderland.

Basketcases seems to be a recurring theme.

Quite how anyone can still be holding a grudge 3-4+ seasons later, is so petty and small.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here