David Rodríguez Sánchez. Confirmed signing.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It does make you wonder. The best theory I've come up with is that other clubs are trying to recruit from Spain, but the players themselves aren't keen to move to a club that doesn't already have a strong Spanish contingent for domestic/fitting in reasons. All of which says that we should be even more impressed with TB for following a strategy over a number of seasons in employing Spanish or Spanish-speaking managers to provide "pull" and even more grateful that Calde took the plunge.

Rodney? Yep, he does look flair. Let's hope it comes off!

And we have Gus to thank for that as well...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Does anyone know anything about him? What type of striker is he?

The you tube clips look good but anyone can be made to look good with those.

Stats wise he has had a couple of good seasons in 2nd div and not made the grade in Spanish top flight(but that's only going by stats rather than play as I know nothing)

http://int.soccerway.com/players/david-rodriguez-sanchez/89192/

Am I reading those stats right? 48 goals in 153 games? If so, I wonder why Celts Vigo never really gave him a chance in primera liga

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It does make you wonder. The best theory I've come up with is that other clubs are trying to recruit from Spain, but the players themselves aren't keen to move to a club that doesn't already have a strong Spanish contingent for domestic/fitting in reasons. All of which says that we should be even more impressed with TB for following a strategy over a number of seasons in employing Spanish or Spanish-speaking managers to provide "pull" and even more grateful that Calde took the plunge.

Rodney? Yep, he does look flair. Let's hope it comes off!

Gus said later that he wasn't specifically looking for Calde, nor specifically a right-back at that time, but took the plunge and said 'OK, let's get him in...". Calde himself said he got off the boat from Bilbao not knowing whether he was going to Gillingham or Brighton.

Serendipity.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i know we are up to 23 pages....but at the moment are we just relying upon a newspaper article in Spain or something more concrete

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
i know we are up to 23 pages....but at the moment are we just relying upon a newspaper article in Spain or something more concrete

Andy Naylor has tweeted that he is in town and expected to be announced today. NSC twitter feed has said we've signed a forward... so looking pretty likely

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Does anyone know anything about him? What type of striker is he?

The you tube clips look good but anyone can be made to look good with those.

Stats wise he has had a couple of good seasons in 2nd div and not made the grade in Spanish top flight(but that's only going by stats rather than play as I know nothing)

http://int.soccerway.com/players/david-rodriguez-sanchez/89192/

So for all his time with Sporting Gijon (2334 mins,13 goals), he scored every 180 minutes. Just about 1 in 2.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Gus said later that he wasn't specifically looking for Calde, nor specifically a right-back at that time, but took the plunge and said 'OK, let's get him in...". Calde himself said he got off the boat from Bilbao not knowing whether he was going to Gillingham or Brighton.

Serendipity.

Yep, serendipity that Calde came to us, but not serendipity that he was prepared to make a new start in an English club, thus providing the seed (along with Gus, and now extended by Oscar) to attract still more Spanish players. It took real cojones to be in the vanguard of the Armada like that, and I think that we'd be a much less compelling destination for, say, Rodney if we didn't have a sizeable cohort of Spanish players already here.

albionite

May 20, 2009
So for all his time with Sporting Gijon (2334 mins,13 goals), he scored every 180 minutes. Just about 1 in 2.

He started 28 games that season and was subbed 20 times, so 13 goals seems pretty good. He does seem to be subbed off a fair bit looking at those stats. Looks fast in those you tube clips maybe he runs out of steam in second half.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep, serendipity that Calde came to us, but not serendipity that he was prepared to make a new start in an English club, thus providing the seed (along with Gus, and now extended by Oscar) to attract still more Spanish players. It took real cojones to be in the vanguard of the Armada like that, and I think that we'd be a much less compelling destination for, say, Rodney if we didn't have a sizeable cohort of Spanish players already here.

I don't think it was his intention to be at the vanguard of anything.

He just wanted to play football in England. But not at Gillingham. Norwich City had a look at him, mind.

But Calde being the ambassador that he is certainly makes easier for Gus and later Oscar to indulge in 'labia'.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I don't think it was his intention to be at the vanguard of anything.

He just wanted to play football in England. But not at Gillingham. Norwich City had a look at him, mind.

But Calde being the ambassador that he is certainly makes easier for Gus and later Oscar to indulge in 'labia'.

I think we're pretty much agreeing actually. My point is simply that by "just wanting to play in England", he showed cojones and co-incidentally he's helped us recruit further Spanish players, for the reasons you cite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports