Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Pleat Daily Mail and The BBC/R5.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Allan Green - I liked him. Stood up to the aggressive bullies in the game Allardyce, Pulis and their mate Sir Alex Taggart. Plus if a match was shite, he said so. Making him unpopular amongst NSC’ers who like the faux happy clappy football product.

David Pleat - I’ve never rated him, along with Garth Crooks. Because Pleat’s old now, he’s getting the reverence normally reserved for classy Jimmy Armfield types.

Do you listen to TalkSport? I don’t see it as being your thing. It’s dumbed down radio listening (other than Hawksby, Jacobs, Glendenning, Danny Kelly and Rushden), a cycle every 15 minutes of 9 minutes of banal shock-jock noise, then 6 minutes of zzzzzzzzzz travel non-news and ads targeted to subbies and white van man.

The BBC have gone that way a little, that’s the giste of the article.

Your made up Chelsea commentary example is perfect, that’s how it is now. 70’s and 80’s matches commentated on by the likes of Peter Jones and Sinstadt simply didn’t contain that flannel. The commentaries are still available online, it’s goosebumps stuff.

What a snob!! Words fail me. Don't you realise 'white van / lorry man is helping keep the country going at the moment? Yet you refer to them in sneering tones, you are quick to call me out for 'racism' arent you and then you put that. Typical of the trendy leftie elite to look down their nose at the 'working classes'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Could you elaborate please and how many DM readers do you know?

None.

But, two things.

Firstly, why would anyone read a paper that gave Katie Hopkins a column ?

Two, I have seen some of the vile comments on their stories and the chorus of thumbs up approval,

More than enough me thinks.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
None.

But, two things.

Firstly, why would anyone read a paper that gave Katie Hopkins a column ?

Two, I have seen some of the vile comments on their stories and the chorus of thumbs up approval,

More than enough me thinks.

Basically nothing of substance. Like all the 'I hate the DM' people who never actually read it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Basically nothing of substance. Like all the 'I hate the DM' people who never actually read it.

I would suggest that the comments section of the DM and Express tells us enough of the mentality of some of its readers. I also offer that the type of articles they have allowed in their paper suggests a continued reader is happy with such content.

I don't hate the DM readers. That is your inference. I do question as to why they would buy into it.

I don't feel the same way about the Daily Telegraph or indeed The Times. So this has nothing to do with political bias either.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Brighton Lines;9288897[B said:
]I would suggest that the comments section of the DM and Express tells us enough of the mentality of some of its readers. I also offer that the type of articles they have allowed in their paper suggests a continued reader is happy with such content.[/B]

I don't hate the DM readers. That is your inference. I do question as to why they would buy into it.

I don't feel the same way about the Daily Telegraph or indeed The Times. So this has nothing to do with political bias either.

Please can you provide some examples?

Where do I infer you hate DM readers? Buy into what?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I would suggest that the comments section of the DM and Express tells us enough of the mentality of some of its readers. I also offer that the type of articles they have allowed in their paper suggests a continued reader is happy with such content.

Do you have some actual specific examples you could post on here?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Stacks of them. Just pick a DM or DE article that talks about anything that is remotely connected to international affairs, refugees etc (You get my drift) and fill yer boots with hate.

Sorry that I don't feel like doing it. I would rather spend time at the moment posting pictures of cats and looking at beautiful landscapes.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fair enough. I was being facetious and snooty. The thing that gets me, really, is the obsession with the top six and the clubs they support. I felt excluded only by that.

It's ok to be snooty. I caught a bit of that show once and almost kicked the shit out of the radio.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
My first commentators on boxing were Carpenter and Guttridge. Loving the sport, I was aware of Andrews former life as a boxing guy, with his radio commentaries beamed back to the UK of Marciano’s world title fights eg against Britain’s Don Cockell.

Another silky voiced legend was the amazing Cliff Morgan of rugby union fame. His commentary of the Barbarians v All Blacks match at Cardiff Arms Park in 1973 is a thing of beauty.

Goosebumps every time .... from the rugby and the commentary.

That was brilliant. Thank you.

(Interesting to note two All BLack tackles in that clip one of which would certainly have been a red today and the other a yellow and still they scored the try.) Brightened my day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was brilliant. Thank you.

(Interesting to note two All BLack tackles in that clip one of which would certainly have been a red today and the other a yellow and still they scored the try.) Brightened my day.

The All Blacks would do anything to win.

Plus Rugby Union was very dirty before video reviews and other law clampdowns. In the 70’s and 80’s, just one example, random matches between the likes of South Wales Police, Gloucester, Neath, and most games could be pretty violent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here