Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Miliband

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I see this Labour leadership candidates who appeal to the centre are thin on the ground. If the new leader can somehow bring David Miliband into the Shadow Cabinet before the next election that would be a powerful signal that they've broken with the Brown / Red Ed era.

A cheeky bye-election mid-term could be the smart way back.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What now for Ed Miliband? Obviously he was re-elected as Member for Doncaster North, but will he be content to be a regular back bench MP after the trappings of Leadership for the past 5 years? Given the scale and manner of the defeat I can't see him being offered any sort of Shadow portfolio for some years to come - if at all. And even if it was I don't think he'd accept.

He's largely unemployable in industry or commerce and he'd have no credibility at a Think Tank or policy unit. But I could see him working for a large charity or QUANGO perhaps?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What now for Ed Miliband? Obviously he was re-elected as Member for Doncaster North, but will he be content to be a regular back bench MP after the trappings of Leadership for the past 5 years? Given the scale and manner of the defeat I can't see him being offered any sort of Shadow portfolio for some years to come - if at all. And even if it was I don't think he'd accept.

He's largely unemployable in industry or commerce and he'd have no credibility at a Think Tank or policy unit. But I could see him working for a large charity or QUANGO perhaps?

Euro, just like the Welsh windbag

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No doubt the union barons will try to force their will once more .... I say let them as it keeps them out even longer

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009

Back to Harvard as a lecturer?

Should have read my post above, he wants a Shadow Cabinet role.

Just noticed your avatar, are you a firefighter?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Same roll as IDS has with the Tories?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

How about a rabbi?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I think David m's comments today show why Ed m stood for leader.

David had his chance to stand for leader twice before. Once when Blair resigned and once when the labour party wobbled over Brown. In the latter he even spent time garnering support before backing off. In my view that showed why he didn't deserve the leadership in 2010. He wouldn't have charmed the voters, press or business any more than Ed m did.

All the good leaders have shown am element of ruthlessness to take their chance

Doing either of those things would have been very risky. If he had stood against Brown then he would have almost certainly lost and made an enemy of the PM. I suppose he might have been better positioned for when Brown did go. If he sought to bring down Brown later then he might have succeeded but there were no certainties and even if he has succeeded he would have split the party and almost certainly lost the 2010 election.

Who knows whether David would have been better than Ed. Hard to imagine him being worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here