Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Lee gets new contract

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
:(

Former Albion outcast David Lee has earned a new three-year contract - and could be in line for a shock switch to a central defensive role.

Lee, who started his first League game for the Seagulls at Sheffield Wednesday, has done enough to persuade manager Mark McGhee that he deserves a new deal.

And with captain Danny Cullip expected to be ruled out of Saturday's crunch clash with Hartlepool United at Withdean, Lee is in contention to partner Guy Butters at the heart of Albion's defence.

Another option for McGhee is to continue with the team that finished the game at Wednesday, with Adam Virgo moving to the centre and fellow rookie Adam El-Abd at right-back.

Speaking after Albion Reserves' remarkable 12-2 romp against Aldershot Town at Worthing last night, McGhee revealed: "Although David was playing in midfield this evening, I've seen things in training that tell me he could do a job for us in a more defensive role.

"It's something to consider and I probably won't make a decision until I've seen how he goes in training on Friday.

"We are delighted to have secured David's services for another three years. We could have left it to the end of the season, but he turned 24 last week so we risked losing him for nothing.

"Grimsby were in for him before the transfer deadline and there's been interest from at least two other clubs."

McGhee declined to name the other clubs but we understand that one of them is Hull City, managed by former Albion boss Peter Taylor who signed Lee for Albion from Hull.

With Danny Marney joining Crawley on a two-year contract, nine Albion players will be out of contract at the end of the season. Nathan Jones is guaranteed a new deal.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
where did you get that one from?

the Argus said Mcghee wanted to see where we were next year before making a decision

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Damn ! Can't somebody come up with something more original ?

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
:)

David Lee has sensationally snubbed Albion and agreed to join Pease Pottage.

The midfielder-turned forward-turned midfielder-turned possible central defensive partner for Guy Butters was offered a new three-year deal by the Seagulls.

But we understand that Lee was unhappy with manager Mark McGhee's insistence that the deal was off unless Lee signed before midday today.

Lee is expected to take a pay cut of about £80,000 from his £80,000 a year salary to join County League strugglers Pease Pottage, in preference to joining Grimsby Town and smelling of fish.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
If you are interested in the real article on the back of today's Argus, it says his future is "in doubt" following contract talks with Mark McGhee.

Marney has gone to Crawley permanently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here