Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David James

simnom

Aug 21, 2003
In Bed
Utter crap IMO. Every goal we've let in so far has been from a set piece and he's been static on every single one.

It winds me up when people say he didn't have a chance with the goal. He could have made an effort!!

:angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
simnom said:
Utter crap IMO. Every goal we've let in so far has been from a set piece and he's been static on every single one.

It winds me up when people say he didn't have a chance with the goal. He could have made an effort!!

:angry:
Slightly harsh. He did his best for the first Croation goal. Have to admit though he does quite often stand still and watch the ball go sailing past.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
actully thought he played much better last nite but agin for there 2nd he just stood and watched!! must be someone better out there?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
On set pieces...WHY does he inisist on not having his goal line covered!!

HE IS CRAP!!

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i thought he was better last night...trouble with the second goal was that the post was left free...should have had a defender on it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
He made a decent stop from Ashley Cole's standing foot for the first. Blame Cole if you have to balme someone.

The second one is down to the defence. You can't save a header like that at the far post. It was up to the England defender in front of the Croat (Lampard?) to clear the ball.

I also liked the brave stop at the feet of the Croat (who then turned out to be offside).

I wouldn't blame him for either goal and I would hope that his confidence will have shot up after a good display and I hope the English press get behind him and help boost his confidence.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Re: Re: David James

Rangdo said:
Slightly harsh. He did his best for the first Croation goal. Have to admit though he does quite often stand still and watch the ball go sailing past.
disagree with this, maybe catchin it was a bit much to ask, but pushing the ball right into the box was shit, could have punched it further or even pushed it round the side of the girl! I never feel safe when the other team attacks and james is in goal!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The Northstander said:
On set pieces...WHY does he inisist on not having his goal line covered!!

that might be Sven's tactics and nothing to do with James. As for last night, well he had a dodgy moment when he came for a ball he was never gonna get but made up with a good save straight after. He held onto the ball for every shot at him, he released it quickly to the midfield and got the attacks moving swiftly. OK he does seem to stick to the spot for free-kicks! The headed goal was not his fault, there we're two players on one man and in the end it was a defensive error.

Overall I thought James had another comfortable night and played well.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
it's his choice to have noone on the post but surely it's about time that sven insisted on someone being there!! as long as it's not kieran dyer

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Re: Re: Re: David James

brighton_b0y said:
disagree with this, maybe catchin it was a bit much to ask, but pushing the ball right into the box was shit, could have punched it further or even pushed it round the side of the girl!

Which girl?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: David James

brighton_b0y said:
disagree with this, maybe catchin it was a bit much to ask, but pushing the ball right into the box was shit, could have punched it further or even pushed it round the side of the girl! I never feel safe when the other team attacks and james is in goal!
I never feel safe either, but it was a split second reaction. I would be more inclined to blame the defence for that one for not picking it up and clearing it. Generally he is crap though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Would he (James) get a game for Albion reserves?

Albion Rob

I hope that after a season in a side that isn't relegated before a ball is kicked, Paul robinson can prove himself.

It is a worry though. Apart from that odd three year spell in the early 90s when Chris Woods took over the gloves, we have always had a strong keeper that we had confidence in.

Maybe Kirkland will be the one if he can go more than two games without getting injured.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think he had a pretty good game . . .held the shots he had to save (which poor defending let through to start with ) when most opposing goalkeepers seem content to flap slap and punch, he had no chance with either goal (again piss poor defending) If your going to criticise then he should have a better command over his defenders positioning at set pieces, but no m,atter how good he may or may not be theres nothing you can do about the clown that is Ashley Cole shooting at you point blank and giving away needless freekicks in a Phyliss Neville stylee

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Keep the Faith.

You either have men on both posts and defend these free-kicks like corners or get rid of them and push the defence up further were too deep at times, that is James's job to get them up though.

Having said that we keep needlessly giving away free kicks in these areas, Beckham and Cole were last nights culprits, the players were going nowhere, so that needs to be addressed just as much as anything else.

You can bet your life the Portuguese will be falling over at every opportunity in these positions.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Marshy said:
You can bet your life the Portuguese will be falling over at every opportunity in these positions.

too right they will be . . .they're as good as Spain at diving and acting . . .I expect a large contingency from Equity to be in the crowd recruiting for christmas pantomimes :eek: along with their footballing consultant Jurgen Klinsmann

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not even superman could have saved there second it was terry lack of marking.
The first one also cole could have cleared it, james pulled of a good save put terry was to flat footed again.

The cross he should have just punched however he pulled of a good save and nothing came of it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here