Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Gold RIP

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ahhh not only someone that l know of, someone that l have actually met . . . when he stopped outside Withdean in his Jag all those years ago, & asked me where the car park was.

R.I.P.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ahhh not only someone that l know of, someone that l have actually met . . . when he stopped outside Withdean in his Jag all those years ago, & asked me where the car park was.

R.I.P.
I met him at a do about 30 years ago where his daughter, who ran Anne Summers, was giving a motivational speech! I was on the same table as him and he came across as very reserved, which surprised me.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think West Ham fans are very hard to please but in Gold they had a true supporter. Often saw him in Hurstpierpoint where his fiancee lived

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Was Hatchet Harry from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (who beat someone to death with a 15 inch black rubber cock) based on David Gold or was it his partner in the dildo brothers?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Was Hatchet Harry from Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (who beat someone to death with a 15 inch black rubber cock) based on David Gold or was it his partner in the dildo brothers?
Probably his father who was an East End criminal?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A true football man, highly regarded as a good man to do business with in the football community. RIP.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
R.I.P. David Gold. A colourful character, he will be missed.

Will this mean a promotion for Karren Brady? Will she be the one to point at Moyes and say "You're fired!"

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I used to see him in the Bentley D6OLD quite a lot but never actually met him.

From the Birmingham City fans I know opinion was divided. Nice guy, had the club’s interests at heart for 16 years as chairman, but ultimately left under a cloud and sold the club down the river to owners that caused the mess the club is in now. It would be a bit like Tony Bloom selling the club to someone like Bill Archer ….

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to see him in the Bentley D6OLD quite a lot but never actually met him.

From the Birmingham City fans I know opinion was divided. Nice guy, had the club’s interests at heart for 16 years as chairman, but ultimately left under a cloud and sold the club down the river to owners that caused the mess the club is in now. It would be a bit like Tony Bloom selling the club to someone like Bill Archer ….
Things aren't quite that bad, at least the current owners haven't sold St.Andrews for demolition yet.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Things aren't quite that bad, at least the current owners haven't sold St.Andrews for demolition yet.
Well I’m not sure about that. They did sell the ground to another company in the group and Blues had to pay rent to play in it. A third of the capacity is shut with no money to repair it. More than £100m in debt, solvent when it was sold by Gold/Sullivan. Every decent player sold in the last 10 years. 17th in the Championship is their best finish in the last 7 years. Etc etc.

But not yet playing at Solihull Moors just yet I guess!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Wasn't he rumored to be buying/investing in us at one point during the Withdean days?
Yes I remember that, seemed to hang around longer than the other rumours.

There will be a bit of nervousness around the club when it comes to the reaction of their fans during the minutes silence I'd have thought. The clap might be better in this instance!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here