Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Cox - Albion Rovers

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The environment surrounding football is the reason I stopped going to my sons games when he reached a certain age...the language, hostility, and verbal abuse (even on the sideline) was horrible, and I had had enough. I couldn't imagine being in that sort of environment week after week like these guys are - albeit Im sure its not everywhere in the sport.

Very sad to hear &, like you, I hope he gets help to overcome his issues. Walking away from that toxic environment is the first step, & I truly hope he finds happiness & mental well-being away from football.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
See the focus is on him but really it should be on the twunt that thought anything is game to wind him up about. Appalling behaviour. It really isn't "bantz" and is just offensive.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sad.

Good that Stenhousemuir seems to be responsibility in this, they could have said "nah nothing happened / we didnt hear anything" but looks like they admit their player said something. Harm already done obviously but not brushing it away is something at least.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I realise this might come across as insensitive but.

If you find yourself getting in a shouting match on the bench for an Albion Rovers v Stenhousemuir game maybe it is time for you to walk away from football anyway. I am not condoning the abuse he received, far from it, but it takes two to have an argument.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it would seem that his reaction to the taunting is a symptom of his illness , perhaps if he'd have stayed around and belted the bloke at the final whistle he may have felt better in himself , you can't just keep walking away from stuff that gets to you and or hurts your feelings , this really is a rather strange world we are creating for ourselves.

from what he said i am assuming he attempted to suicide so for someone to take the piss out of that is pretty crass and he would be deserving of a clump in the face.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The environment surrounding football is the reason I stopped going to my sons games when he reached a certain age...the language, hostility, and verbal abuse (even on the sideline) was horrible, and I had had enough. I couldn't imagine being in that sort of environment week after week like these guys are - albeit Im sure its not everywhere in the sport.

Very sad to hear &, like you, I hope he gets help to overcome his issues. Walking away from that toxic environment is the first step, & I truly hope he finds happiness & mental well-being away from football.

You should try refereeing kids football .... it's brutal. kids and parents calling you a cheat, threats, abuse and very limited appreciation

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Every situation is individual and while everyone has a personal opinion on what someone should or should not do, there is no universal advice for dealing with depression. It's incredibly sad he feels he would rather end his football career than continue to face, or potentially face, abusive comments. That's the only universal comment you can reasonably make on this story.

All the very best of luck to the young man.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’d imagine the Stenhousmuir player involved is feeling very worried about the imminent shitstorm which is about to envelop him, and so he should be.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

If you find yourself getting in a shouting match on the bench for an Albion Rovers v Stenhousemuir game maybe it is time for you to walk away from football anyway. I am not condoning the abuse he received, far from it, but it takes two to have an argument.

I find myself, along with probably a majority of others, perfectly capable of having a barney with other people without resorting to personal, insensitive, and possibly dangerous insults.

I do it in here quite a lot.

If I wasn't capable I would be in Argus Comments instead.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I have found it hard reading the article, and even watching the video is upsetting.
There are some scumbags out there, who haven't a clue as to what people have to deal with on a daily basis, regarding mental health and all the issues that come under that title.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely obscene treatment however, its just one of many societal problems that drift in to football like racism and homophobia too, sadly each week brings new examples of all of these yet 6 clubs want to form a break away league and .....then you get action.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Are you saying that because it's "only" Albion Rovers v Stenhousemuir, he shouldn't have got so upset?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As a youth coach I've temporarily banned a couple parents for truely disgusting stuff. When they come back they thankfully seem to have gotten a grip. If you don't draw a line and stick to it though I'm sure just get worse and worse then can't stop it once reaches a certain volume.

A bit of frustration and anger sure, it's normal, but both incidents went wayyyyy over tolerable lines with 8-10 or 11/12 year olds around. Full on 3 minute rants actually on the pitch during play. Grabbing people as well or getting in faces pointing. Thankfully in some ways there are so many languages spoken by parents I have no clue what some sideline comments are and other parents won't either but you can see when someone is getting a bit too heated and both total outbursts were in English as intended for everyone present to hear and understand fully.

Oh and both had proper karen haircuts! The Dad's are usually much sounder than the Mums and would rather have a sneaky laugh than abuse people.

Is a shame refs don't stand up for themselves more and help stop some of it early.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I just don't understand the mentality of people sometimes. You know someone has attempted to take their life, they've struggled / are struggling, and your instinct is to take the piss?

Why?

It's the animalistic barbarity that we as humans possess.

Our instincts are always to target the weakest and most vulnerable.

It always saddens me when I see the Press target people and expose their weaknesses. Then they pull all the high and mighty noble ground if something later tragically happens. Just look at people like Amy Winehouse. They hounded her trying to get stories and photos of her high on drugs then come across all moral when she overdoses.

We as humans mimic what we see and read. That's why World Leaders like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are bad for our society. They give the green light for us to expose our barbarity as human beings.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not at all. I am questioning how he got into the argument in the first place and suggesting for him personally, he might be better off away from football.

WHY????
So the guy suffers from an illness and for that reason he has to get another job. NO. He needs the help of friends within football. Yes, kick hell out of him on the pitch in the spirit of the game so to speak, but never ever tell him as you go in to a tackle "you should have carried out that suicide last week".

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's the animalistic barbarity that we as humans possess.

Our instincts are always to target the weakest and most vulnerable.

It always saddens me when I see the Press target people and expose their weaknesses. Then they pull all the high and mighty noble ground if something later tragically happens. Just look at people like Amy Winehouse. They hounded her trying to get stories and photos of her high on drugs then come across all moral when she overdoses.

We as humans mimic what we see and read. That's why World Leaders like Donald Trump and Boris Johnson are bad for our society. They give the green light for us to expose our barbarity as human beings.

No, we are not all like that, and there's plenty of evidence to the contrary, however much the media like to portray the worst of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here