Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] David Cameron

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Top work by the Independent today for making the link with some classic Hunter S Thompson reportage from the campaign trail...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...david-cameron-and-the-pig-story-10510787.html

'Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 was serially published by Rolling Stone throughout the year. In one of the articles Thompson makes a poignant comparison to a campaign that happened in Texas in which Lyndon Johnson attempted to create a rumour to denounce his competitor.

It reads: “This is one of the oldest and most effective tricks in politics. Every hack in the business has used it in times of trouble, and it has even been elevated to the level of political mythology in a story about one of Lyndon Johnson’s early campaigns in Texas.

“The race was close and Johnson was getting worried. Finally he told his campaign manager to start a massive rumour campaign about his opponent’s life-long habit of enjoying carnal knowledge of his barnyard sows.

“Christ, we can’t get away with calling him a pig-f****r,” the campaign manager protested. “Nobody’s going to believe a thing like that.”

“I know,” Johnson replied. “But let’s make the sonofab****h deny it.”'

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Heaven help any of us should a possibly unfounded allegation is ever made against us. I know we're not all famous (some are I'm sure), but the way things escalate of social media now, I'd hate to think how quickly our lives / careers could be wrecked, even without any proof.

Oooh. Please do tell Papa. You can be sure it will not go beyond these four (virtual) walls.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
CPapcv8W8AAFRQ4.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Amazing how such allegations become 'fact' so quickly.

Heaven help any of us should a possibly unfounded allegation is ever made against us. I know we're not all famous (some are I'm sure), but the way things escalate of social media now, I'd hate to think how quickly our lives / careers could be wrecked, even without any proof.

Thing is, if someone spread a rumor about me on social media, that I joined a couple of posh boys clubs, mocked the poor and raped a pig then no-one that is connected to me would believe it were true. Cameron however........

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thing is, if someone spread a rumor about me on social media, that I joined a couple of posh boys clubs, mocked the poor and raped a pig then no-one that is connected to me would believe it were true. Cameron however........

That ram in your avatar looks like he's been taken unawares...

Anyway, you're right. Like Simster, when this rumour surfaced, a lot of people just went, ah yeah, that sounds about right.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The revelations are sickening. That a Supertramp fan can become leader of the country ...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I joined a couple of posh boys clubs, mocked the poor and raped a pig
Each to their own.

My understanding of the allegation against Cameron is that he put part of his body in part of a dead animals body, but not that he was aroused or that it was sexual.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Oh come on... I am sure we all experimented with things like that when we were young. :blush:

It's easy to brush it off as minor, but evidence suggests that Supertramp may act as a gateway. One minute you're dabbling in a little bit of Logical Song, next minute you're on the hard stuff like Yes and ELP. Not such a laugh when you're freebasing Roger Dean paintings and injecting Tales From Topographic Oceans into your toes because your arms are riddled with holes from your Genesis addiction.

Choose Life! Say no to Prog!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here