Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Cameron has resigned again

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well of course they're different. JC's supporters are left of centre and the Leavers are (mainly) right of centre but the point is that both are at odds with their MPs.
Ah, that old chestnut again. The desire to leave the EU was/is spreads right across the political spectrum, left as well as right. That's why great swathes of Labour heartlands voted for leave.
JC's supporters (those that are genuine JC supporters, not just mischief makers) are left wing, of course.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well of course they're different. JC's supporters are left of centre and the Leavers are (mainly) right of centre but the point is that both are at odds with their MPs. Yet, somehow that's a good thing when it comes to the EU and a bad thing when it comes to the EU. Whose opinion counts for more: MPs or the voters? Same question, two different answers

I see your argument but I don't think it's about just the MPs when it comes to the EU. The entire liberal establishment is out of kilter with the majority in the country. By contrast I reckon if we had a referendum on JC the result would be pretty much in line with the views of most Labour MPs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure they are out of touch with the grass roots: it's just that (as soistes says) the EU wasn't a major issue for them.
Of course they were out of touch, way out! The referendum (and the discussions on here bear this out) showed clearly that for millions and millions of us, on both sides of the argument, it was/is a major issue. The fact is that the MPs in their Westminster bubble, their Westminster orientated think-tanks, and the local constituency coteries all completely missed this (or maybe just chose to ignore it). Out of touch? And some!

To take another example, there have been a range of polls showing that the majority of people are in favour of rail nationalisation (even among Tories): should there be a referendum on that?
Well, if we had a referendum to re-nationalise the railways overnight, I'd love it! I take your point though.

I'm a bit disturbed by the referendum. As a Leaver, I'm happy with the result but I don't think it's good for democracy as a whole. I'm glad we're the leaving EU but not too happy about the method
Don't share your misgivings about having a referendum, but like you I'm delighted with the outcome! :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Harsh. His tenure can be separated into two distinct eras:

1. Coalition - decent whilst at the helm, at his best in a 'chairman of the board' role.
2. Tory Government - lost the plot completely, calling the EU Referendum was arguably the worst political decision ever taken by a British PM.

Cameron and Clegg were actually a pretty good partnership, it kept the right wing at bay. His legacy will now be worse than Blair

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Needlessly went into a referendum on EU membership for internal party political issues not national issues. Disgraceful. No tears from me

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, by finally kicking Labour into the political wilderness where they belong. On a personal level Cameron lording over whatever the Labour Party could put in front of him at PMQs (whether as PM or in opposition) has been a delight.

He did not kick Labour into the wilderness they have managed to do that themselves.
All you can find about Cameron is that he was good at PMQ's, a circus arena where Cameron knew the questions(mostly loaded) and had the final say as PM.
Never answered a question and usually replied with a totally unfunny Eton School playground joke, a PR PM and nothing more, maybe not the worst, just, but definitely the weakest. Pandered to his back benchers, lie after lie, u turn after u turn.
A truly pathetic politician.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Needlessly went into a referendum on EU membership for internal party political issues not national issues. Disgraceful. No tears from me

Over 17 million + people voting on the subject, people from all walks of life with different political beliefs, and you call that internal party politics and not a real issue that the country was interested in?

How many have to be interested in a subject before you are prepared to take it seriously rather than to just dismiss other people's views out of hand because you don't want them to finally get their say on an issue that was becoming more and more important

The outcome wasn't what you wanted it to be and I guess that you would have preferred to carry on ignoring the subject and the people who were calling for the chance to be heard on this because it didn't suit your politics - is that democracy, is that politics listening to the people or telling them what they can or can't decide about - is that free choice or is that trying to ignore the views of parts of the population because they don't match yours so somehow have no validity or merit?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He did not kick Labour into the wilderness they have managed to do that themselves.
All you can find about Cameron is that he was good at PMQ's, a circus arena where Cameron knew the questions(mostly loaded) and had the final say as PM.
Never answered a question and usually replied with a totally unfunny Eton School playground joke, a PR PM and nothing more, maybe not the worst, just, but definitely the weakest. Pandered to his back benchers, lie after lie, u turn after u turn.
A truly pathetic politician.
Not a fan, then?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What a legacy that tosser has. Not as though he will give a shit sitting in his mansion in the Cotswolds,

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a shrewd move from Sunak bringing DCam back. The foreign office requires diplomacy and experience which he has in droves and there is hardly a long list of other contenders.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's a shrewd move from Sunak bringing DCam back. The foreign office requires diplomacy and experience which he has in droves and there is hardly a long list of other contenders.
But before Johnson he was contender for the most useless PM of the last 100 years (although he has jumped a few rungs in recent years).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here