Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Cameron has resigned again

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It's a shrewd move from Sunak bringing DCam back. The foreign office requires diplomacy and experience which he has in droves and there is hardly a long list of other contenders.
Agreed.

I can see him being extremely popular across Europe in particular. Perhaps he can broker some wonderful trade deals using his diplomacy.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I struggle, frankly, to imagine any improvement. Hasn't happened in a generation - actually more like two generations.
Any time the government of the day has been in power for 10 years or more they run out of MPs who can reasonably be ministers. Whoever's in power.
The quality of MPs has not, in general, been in consistent decline for the last 60 years. Regardless of the quality of any given parliament.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Any time the government of the day has been in power for 10 years or more they run out of MPs who can reasonably be ministers. Whoever's in power.
The quality of MPs has not, in general, been in consistent decline for the last 60 years. Regardless of the quality of any given parliament.
I've been following this for 60 years. It has.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
OK. I could dump a load of links to crap decisions made by governments in the last 60 years, but it'd clearly be a waste of both our time.
It would be, yes. And it wouldn't disprove my point - which is about the quality of the MPs, not the governments, and applies to all parties, beloved of NSC or otherwise!

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I wonder what it is about mp’s being a bit dim witted - for some reason when they are in a senior role they come across as useless and then afterwards they end up like old wise sages.

Recent examples:

Maybot, seems to be well regarded now but was a mess.

John Major looks like he knows what he is talking about but was ridiculed about eating peas on spitting image.

It makes me wonder how much the media cause this.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It would be, yes. And it wouldn't disprove my point - which is about the quality of the MPs, not the governments, and applies to all parties, beloved of NSC or otherwise!
Governments are ultimately just a majority of MPs.
All those government decisions you disagreed with as a youth were voted through by a load of MPs, most of whom were a bunch of vapid nonentities voted in by huge majorities just as they are today and just as they were 50 years before.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a legacy that tosser has. Not as though he will give a shit sitting in his mansion in the Cotswolds,
Although leaving his loved ones for the jet setting lifestyle of a Foreign Secretary is going to be tough.

IMG_3780.jpeg

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It's difficult to imagine why anyone would want to be in any sort of public service, particularly an MP. All they are doing is putting their heads above the parapet to be shot at. If an MP has any sort of past life with any hint of controversy, they will be outed by investigative press or past associates. That's why the quality of MPs is diminishing.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's difficult to imagine why anyone would want to be in any sort of public service, particularly an MP. All they are doing is putting their heads above the parapet to be shot at. If an MP has any sort of past life with any hint of controversy, they will be outed by investigative press or past associates. That's why the quality of MPs is diminishing.
I agree.
Unless one is as pure as a vestal virgin, you are asking for trouble and untold intrusion into your life, past and present.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Is this really true? Profumo, Cecil Parkinson, Boris Johnson? Has the intrusion really got worse?

If this was really the deterent you describe why has there been so many cases of serious sexual misconduct in this parliament? Maybe the me too movement means far more of these are reported than in years gone by, but public exposure doesn't seem much of a deterent and if you look at Trump the American electorate don't seem to even care what he gets up to.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Is this really true? Profumo, Cecil Parkinson, Boris Johnson? Has the intrusion really got worse?

If this was really the deterent you describe why has there been so many cases of serious sexual misconduct in this parliament? Maybe the me too movement means far more of these are reported than in years gone by, but public exposure doesn't seem much of a deterent and if you look at Trump the American electorate don't seem to even care what he gets up to.
Let's be honest about this; the intrusion is a hell of a lot worse due to social media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here