Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button to West Brom

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
West Brom released keeper Brad House, a Worthing lad who was previously with Arsenal over the summer.

If Button does move on, I think he hasn't really let us down, when called upon, but also hasn't really impressed either. Both him and Steele felt like insurance policies, whilst we had so many promising junior keepers and a shortage of home grown players in the 25 man squad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Button off to WBA apparently, £1M fee. Wouldn't imagine he'd be first choice there, but would have more of a chance than here

[tweet]1297853974272454656[/tweet]

So Brum get Leko on weekdays, and he plays for Massive on the weekends..?

I remember in Year 2 I had a girlfriend (relevant so stick with it). Unfortunately she also had another boyfriend and refused to go "exclusive" with either of us. In an absolute masterstroke, I suggested we have a rota whereby she was my girlfriend during the week, and his on the weekends. So basically just my girlfriend.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Don't get this idea that we've 'mugged' them for him. Yes, he was nowhere near first choice quality, or even good competition, and if we've turned a profit then great (though I'm not sure we have), but £1M is a good fee for a backup keeper who'll add to the HGP quota.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, after he had his stint between the sticks in PL with us while Maty was away with Australia, everyone slated Hughton for dropping Button and bringing Ryan straight back in when he got back (for THAT Fulham game) and said it was 'too soon', so he can't have been that bad

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Not an easy life for a back up keeper, so best of luck David.

Most comparable clubs have a keeper who could conceivably displace the first choice either now or in the future, so these are changes we need to make.

WBA were playing Sam Johnstone in goal. I'm guessing Button is going as back up again, probably WBA have offered him the number of years he wants.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
So Brum get Leko on weekdays, and he plays for Massive on the weekends..?

I remember in Year 2 I had a girlfriend (relevant so stick with it). Unfortunately she also had another boyfriend and refused to go "exclusive" with either of us. In an absolute masterstroke, I suggested we have a rota whereby she was my girlfriend during the week, and his on the weekends. So basically just my girlfriend.

don't let the leeds fans see this, the desperation has well and truly set in and they might get ideas...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I always felt that Button and Steele sounded more like a TV detective series than our back-up keepers.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Both Steele and Button not good enough at this level. But what i like about them both is that they have never moaned about lack of game time. They just got on with it.

Surprised we got a million for him though. If he was our number 1 i would be concerned. Saying that Krul was our number 2 and did well at Norwich as a number 1 so who knows.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It must be time for Walton to now be either in our squad or sold. He has been out on loan for what seems like a decade! If he hasn't got to the required level to be second to Matty by now is he likely to? He has performed really well in all his loans and there has been plenty of requests to buy from those clubs I believe. At what point does he say better to be a first choice Championship goal keeper than a third choice (if that) PL one. With Button moving, would Steele expect to be second choice keeper , with Walton third or the other way round? ? Either way whoever ends up as third choice wont be happy, and Walton must feel his time has come at Brighton by now.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It must be time for Walton to now be either in our squad or sold. He has been out on loan for what seems like a decade! If he hasn't got to the required level to be second to Matty by now is he likely to? He has performed really well in all his loans and there has been plenty of requests to buy from those clubs I believe. At what point does he say better to be a first choice Championship goal keeper than a third choice (if that) PL one. With Button moving, would Steele expect to be second choice keeper , with Walton third or the other way round? ? Either way whoever ends up as third choice wont be happy, and Walton must feel his time has come at Brighton by now.

Yeh. He needs to be genuinely challenging Maty for his place or he'd be better off pursuing a career away from the Albion mothership.

If he's behind Steele, then definitely move him on

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Good luck db, good business all round, everyone wins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here