Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The jury was out on Conway after the Ipswich game. They returned a verdict today.

He would have to completely change every aspect of his attitude to give the impression he cares, and improve massively to attain the level of "dire".

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I'm not sure that Burke is entirely at fault - surely he is only able to bring in players that are a) available to us and b) fit the budget he has been given. I'm sure he would love to splash the cash and with his contacts at places like Man C he could have the choice of several decent loanees (like Bridge?......) but we can't afford them now we are under FFP.

By the way how was Burke to know that Kemy would get injured when he came here and then forced to play before he is fit?

I suspect Burke is having to work within very tight constraints placed on him by the Chairman who ultimately holds the purse strings (and not Barber for that matter).

I got a feeling your last two comments are a little misguided...

Anyone from Swansea can tell you that Agustein is a sick note. He was last years runner up to the Kieren Dyer award.

As for Barber not holding the clubs purse strings. That's wrong...as CEO, it is EXACTLY his job to hold the purse strings and oversee the finances at the club.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The jury was out on Conway after the Ipswich game. They returned a verdict today.

He would have to completely change every aspect of his attitude to give the impression he cares, and improve massively to attain the level of "dire".

Yep, feel exactly the same way. At QPR on his debut, had the opportunity to run at the defence on a few occasions and turned back, which I assumed was confidence, but he seems to do it every time. Perhaps he just needs a run in the team, but at the minute not good enough.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Just think, that if Conway was presented by Burke to OG along with two others, as the best players that Burke and his scouts have found, just think what the other two must have been like. Present OG with three kinds of sh*t for his choice, OG will select the best piece of sh*t from those three.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I got a feeling your last two comments are a little misguided...

As for Barber not holding the clubs purse strings. That's wrong...as CEO, it is EXACTLY his job to hold the purse strings and oversee the finances at the club.

It might be his day to day job to manage the corporate side of the club but the reality is that Barber can only play with the monies that Tony Bloom gives him - or the savings he is able to create behind the scenes. With our crowds it may look on paper as if we are minted but surely the ST income and commercial sponsorship monies are already being used up on operating costs and to rein in an £8m deficit (even part of that sum would make a huge difference to a transfer budget).

So (sadly) there probably just isn't enough spare cash sloshing around to give Burke what he would ideally like to bring in a better calibre of player than the recent loanees. We haven't even got the income from the 2-3k extra punters we enjoyed at the end of last season (and now very unlikely to see those sort of crowds on current form) so can't see where they are going to find really significant money for transfers without making swingeing savings elsewhere - or by selling a player like Bridcutt, which isn't what is needed.

Even Tony Bloom is now constrained in what cash he can inject because of FFP - and we can't really accuse Tony of not digging deeper into his pockets with him currently funding
(£12m?) the training complex.

Paul Barber is the George Osborne of B&HA, has an unenviable job of trying to rein a big deficit, balance the books, find spare money for investment and give the people what they want. Plus get loads of stick from the fans. No pressure there then.

Personally I think the most likely solution we can hope for in the short-ish term is for the injured players to get fit which will seem like a raft of new signings and then regain our true form.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
It might be his day to day job to manage the corporate side of the club but the reality is that Barber can only play with the monies that Tony Bloom gives him - or the savings he is able to create behind the scenes. With our crowds it may look on paper as if we are minted but surely the ST income and commercial sponsorship monies are already being used up on operating costs and to rein in an £8m deficit (even part of that sum would make a huge difference to a transfer budget).

So (sadly) there probably just isn't enough spare cash sloshing around to give Burke what he would ideally like to bring in a better calibre of player than the recent loanees. We haven't even got the income from the 2-3k extra punters we enjoyed at the end of last season (and now very unlikely to see those sort of crowds on current form) so can't see where they are going to find really significant money for transfers without making swingeing savings elsewhere - or by selling a player like Bridcutt, which isn't what is needed.

Even Tony Bloom is now constrained in what cash he can inject because of FFP - and we can't really accuse Tony of not digging deeper into his pockets with him currently funding
(£12m?) the training complex.

Paul Barber is the George Osborne of B&HA, has an unenviable job of trying to rein a big deficit, balance the books, find spare money for investment and give the people what they want. Plus get loads of stick from the fans. No pressure there then.

Personally I think the most likely solution we can hope for in the short-ish term is for the injured players to get fit which will seem like a raft of new signings and then regain our true form.

How about saving money by not bringing in three players like Agustein, Chickson and Conway who have not added anything to the squad and hardly played and used their joint wages on perhaps one good striker?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
How about saving money by not bringing in three players like Agustein, Chickson and Conway who have not added anything to the squad and hardly played and used their joint wages on perhaps one good striker?

I totally agree.

It's a rather sad indictment of our finances that we would need look at cashing in on those three for example to find enough dosh for one decent player - but if that's how we have to do our business then so be it. I guess FFP will make the compliant Clubs operate in a much smarter way and make the limited funds work more effectively for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here