Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Brent & Foregone Conclusion at the Brighton Centre

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ghost Town was a decent film and was Cemetary Junction, the office, extra's and derek are all good and an idiot abroad, he has done some very good stuff, just think the novelty will wear off with this gig in about 10 minutes

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ghost Town was a decent film and was Cemetary Junction, the office, extra's and derek are all good and an idiot abroad, he has done some very good stuff, just think the novelty will wear off with this gig in about 10 minutes

Hard to believe it'll be anything other than an absolute STINKER

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Cemetery Junction is brilliant.

"Why does Alan Pardew have a bell on his hat?"

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Must be I'm the only person who doesn't like Gervais. I have seen a bit of the office and whilst it is written very well, not my scene. As a person I find that Ricky is lost without a script, no ad-lib when being interviewed. Biggest let down was Band Aid 2 (or whatever it was) when he walked off as he'd run out of things to say and the next band were late on.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Must be I'm the only person who doesn't like Gervais. I have seen a bit of the office and whilst it is written very well, not my scene. As a person I find that Ricky is lost without a script, no ad-lib when being interviewed. Biggest let down was Band Aid 2 (or whatever it was) when he walked off as he'd run out of things to say and the next band were late on.

You could argue that Gervais ushered in the whole look to camera mocumentary genre, quickly picked up by others, most recently in People Just do Nothing. I'm sure someone will now tell me it was first used decades before in films like Spinal Pap...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think Brent is a brilliant creation. He's not obnoxious, just lacking in self awareness in the same way that many comic characters do. Gervais could have milked The Office for a few more series here but instead got out at the right time.

As for the film, looking forward to seeing it. The main thing putting me off it is that one of the characters is played by Palace fan Doc Brown who played against us at the REMF match in May, when we wuz ROBBED.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
70 miles an hour... But no more.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You could argue that Gervais ushered in the whole look to camera mocumentary genre, quickly picked up by others, most recently in People Just do Nothing. I'm sure someone will now tell me it was first used decades before in films like Spinal Pap...
It's Garry Shandling's Show was the first I remember to resurrect that genre of comedy. Not in a mockumentary manner but as a diary of his life. It influenced notably Ricky Gervais and also Larry David who plays himself in Curb your enthusiasm.

I flipping love Garry Shandling. Taken far too soon from us. [emoji22]

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A massive THIS.

I'm a huge fan of The Office, IMO its one of the most finely written comedies of all time. But Gervais is now taking the irony of this tragic Brent character, and trying to make him legit. Gervais is reviving his long-failed music career through him, whilst still trying to be "funny" about it in an "aren't I crap but actually don't you think I'm pretty good?" kinda way.

I dunno if any of that makes sense, but I know what I mean!
Makes perfect sense to me!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wonder if this latest venture will sell out ?

It's definitely a sell out but possibly not in the way RG would have intended.

Shame for me as I love The Office more than should be allowed (plus I loved Extras too). But I didn't bother going to see the film as the final Christmas Special ended The Office story perfectly with all ends tied up and Brent finally comfortable in his own skin.

I shan't bother going to see Forgone Conclusion either. I just don't see the point of it? :shrug: If he's gonna start doing that he may as well start doing spoof corporate 'Staff training days' as the David Brent character for the likes of British Airways and EE Mobile etc, or motivational speaking etc.

Wish he would just leave the David Brent character alone now, really.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I went to his gig at the dome around 14 years ago. He took the piss out of people with cancer. I hate this guy with a vengeance.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I saw the show at Hammersmith Apollo last month and really enjoyed it. Pretty much everyone got up to sing along to Free Love Freeway as the encore.

She's gone.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User X18H

But only in an ironic post-it-straight-on-to-social-media sort of way tho eh?

In real terms, it'll be shite.

Nature's way of telling you there's WAY too much disposable income in Brighton & Hove for the select few.

It's a good idea. And...........

A good idea is a good idea FOR ever.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's a good idea. And...........

A good idea is a good idea FOR ever.

Middle aged man gets up in the middle of the night for a J Carrol Naish and checks his smartphone. A damning indictment of the ridiculous way we live today. Lock it away when you hit the scratcher tonight Tim and don't get it out until the morning, in fact, scrap that, get the wife to take charge of it until morning.

#first world problems

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Mrs JTM has bought us tickets for this. The pre-sale sold out fairly quickly evidently.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mrs JTM has bought us tickets for this. The pre-sale sold out fairly quickly evidently.

It's like you going to watch a preseason (Palace) friendly. It seems like a good idea until you get there and realise the whole thing is, actually, meaningless.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It's like you going to watch a preseason (Palace) friendly. It seems like a good idea until you get there and realise the whole thing is, actually, meaningless.

I'll let you know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Loved the Office, enjoyed the movie (watching through my fingers at times), but really wouldn't be tempted to go to the concert.

If anything, the joke about the band and the crap songs was flogged once or twice too many during the film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here