David Bowie

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very sad day. I loved his Ziggy star dust era but hated his American crap.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Only 7 pages for this - sad reflection of the state of music, art, life and film in this current generation.

People under 30 don't understand the relevance of people like Bowie, Bolan, Presley, Lennon etc - no wonder crap like x factor is headlines - Would Bowie ever have gone on or had the need to go on Xfactor?

Itv has been on all day aboiut how great Bowie was yet next year they will make another series of Simon Cowells crap

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Only 7 pages for this - sad reflection of the state of music, art, life and film in this current generation.

People under 30 don't understand the relevance of people like Bowie, Bolan, Presley, Lennon etc - no wonder crap like x factor is headlines - Would Bowie ever have gone on or had the need to go on Xfactor?

Itv has been on all day aboiut how great Bowie was yet next year they will make another series of Simon Cowells crap

I think you're doing a massive disservice to younger generations. Plenty of people in their teens and 20s are big fans of Bowie. Just because they weren't around when the music first came out doesn't have a bearing on whether they should like it, relate to it or be positively effected by it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think you're doing a massive disservice to younger generations. Plenty of people in their teens and 20s are big fans of Bowie. Just because they weren't around when the music first came out doesn't have a bearing on whether they should like it, relate to it or be positively effected by it.
Exactly this. I wasn't around when the Stones and the Who were at there peak. Age doesn't come into it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
David Bowie - Five Years on BBC2 now.

God, I'm sad. It's weird. you feel that nobody else will understand, that he isn't relevant to others the same way that he is to me. But it seems he is.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

God, I'm sad. It's weird. you feel that nobody else will understand, that he isn't relevant to others the same way that he is to me. But it seems he is.
Five Years is my favorite track

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

He definitely is, Mini has just turned 18 and knows a lot about Bowie and has several of his tracks on his iPhone.

You could argue it was parental influence however a month or so ago I looked at what he had on his iPhone musically and was quite stunned how diverse and what era it covered which suggests we under estimate what the youth of today actually appreciate musically.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Whilst I didn't mean to generalise all People under 30, most in that generation will not be able to relate to artists in the same way the previous generations did as most have too much media in so many formats forced on them quickly and continually.

Previous generations had time to focus and relate to artists because there wasn't as much to do as there is now. The point was that because most don't relate in depth to individual artists any more most don't actually recognise true greatness and genius and why this thread is only 7 pages

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Whilst I didn't mean to generalise all People under 30, most in that generation will not be able to relate to artists in the same way the previous generations did as most have too much media in so many formats forced on them quickly and continually.

Previous generations had time to focus and relate to artists because there wasn't as much to do as there is now. The point was that because most don't relate in depth to individual artists any more most don't actually recognise true greatness and genius and why this thread is only 7 pages

Speak for yourself. The thread is 25 pages for me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This generation certainly "relates", but maybe not in exactly the same way as your generation. But then I would not necessarily expect it to.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
He definitely is, Mini has just turned 18 and knows a lot about Bowie and has several of his tracks on his iPhone.

You could argue it was parental influence however a month or so ago I looked at what he had on his iPhone musically and was quite stunned how diverse and what era it covered which suggests we under estimate what the youth of today actually appreciate musically.

I admit I stupidly generalised and there are many young people that appreciate music but my point was that this thread does not justify the importance of Bowie. Maybe its the availability and diversity of music and art thats bombarded on them that makes many unable to relate deeply with artists.

People weren't able to collect large music collections easily, you would buy an album and play it for hours on end, thats why albums contained much more information on sleeves and notes - its totally different collecting music today

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
He could have done with a few slap up meals here and there.

Just saying, not saying anything wrong with the music.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

And now we move to in my view the greatest period for Bowie - Berlin.

Heroes to this day is the greatest song ever in my view.

I'll caveat this with Let's Dance - Nile Rodgers nailed that

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Apologies in advance for the long, someone rambling post but the chap's passing warrants it from me.

What a strange and sad day it has been. Bowie's death has affected me much deeper than I anticipated and caught me a bit by surprise. Apart from listening to Blackstar a couple more times & reading this thread I've stayed away from all media reporting without quite knowing why. I've concluded that I am in some state of denial & have given it some thought.

I vividly recall the tears my mother shed when Elvis died. When I asked her why she was so upset she explained that he soundtracked her youth, was unlike anything that had come before and encapsulated a time and place culturally and personally that could never be repeated but would always be remembered. She added that he could sing a bit, was not unattractive in his pomp and appeared to be a good lad (!) I didn't quite appreciate what she was saying at the time but sadly some of it resonates a bit more now.

Funnily enough, shortly after Elvis died I bought my first album for myself with my own saved pennies. This was a very big deal indeed as I sought to beat a path of my own beyond the (relatively mundane) influence of parents and siblings and without the double edged 'guidance' of the music press. It was also high risk as I would likely be buying something I had not heard before at (for me) great expense.

Self consciously perusing the limited small town racks of vinyl I was drawn to a black and white cover of a fellow with mis matched eyes who appeared to be rather extravagantly sorting his quiff out. I vaguely remember choosing between this and another (long since forgotten album) based on the cover and titles of the songs alone. Once home I played my investment repeatedly to demonstrate its worth and convince myself I liked it. I didn't need much persuasion and my record buying continued with Bowie's (then) unimpeachable back catalogue. Sometimes Lady Luck takes a shine on you without you even knowing it. What a gift that was.

I should add that I'm no über fan. In fact after my relative disappointment with Let's Dance my acquaintance with Mr Jones' output became sporadic at best. Although the impact of the dozen or so albums up to 'Scary Monsters' on me could never be diminished I had given up hope that he would ever produce another album that could line up with them. Besides, his very influence combined with my ferocious purchasing had led me elsewhere a long time since.

Then the track Blackstar pops up...and the years dropped away. I hesitated to invest too much hope. Lazarus followed and he had my full attention. Having bought the album I sent a text to a friend stating ''in other news it is more than a bit mental that the new Bowie album is stupendous. It will be the first I have bought since Scary Monsters I think. He's 70.'' How weird & beautiful that Bowie should pull me back in at the last, a gentle slap around the chops as a reminder where it all started proper for me and popular music.

I think I can say with some confidence that my life would behave been quite different and poorer without his music & influence & for that I thank him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Which is why in my view it's an important part of parenting to expose kids to the best music from the past.

My two are 9 and 6, and while they get their modern stuff like Jess Glynne, Bieber, Taylor Swift I also make sure they get a bit of Queen, The Jam, Rush, Beatles, Beach Boys, Def Leppard along the way.

I totally agree that SImon Cowell has a lot to answer for. Fortunately, plenty of good stuff still gets through in spite of him and his show.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Very few deaths have ever made me feel like this. Apart from being a musical genius, rock legend and all that jazz, David Bowie meant something quite separate to me. My Dad has never really been one for football, a wet, freezing cold nil-niler between Chelsea and Sheffield Wednesday back in the 60s put paid to that, neither has he ever shared my intense love of film beyond the odd Christopher Nolan picture. Music has been an entirely different kettle of fish. One of my earliest memories is of his sorrow over the untimely passing of George Harrison (approaching fifteen years to the day would you believe?) and growing up, whether it be anything from The Beatles to a track by Slaves he happened to catch off 6Music, music has brought the pair of us together. Bowie was one of his heroes, having been lucky enough to see him play Brighton during the Ziggy Stardust era he has lived through his entire career and he made well sure that I was at the very least aware of his music. I don't adore everything he's done but the old and familiar challenging you with the new and innovative was one of the reasons I've kept returning to his music over the years. For dozens of impeccable classics and cementing one father-son relationship, thank-you David Bowie.

A hero forever and ever. Rest in peace.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not a fan, but then again not a fan of generally anything, I can appreciate how undoubtedly iconic he is, but I cannot revere how some of you do.

One thing for sure with Bowie though is how physically striking he is, even going through his many reincarnations you cannot help looking and thinking he has it, whatever that means.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Woke up as a sleepy head this morning, made some breakfast and coffee and found myself humming opening bars to Sound and Vision. Put on a remix version and was thinking how long it was, before I realised that I was happily listening to it on repeat.

Saw the paper with so many pictures of Bowie and felt sad. I've always be puzzled over the grief shown when famous people (Di, Senna, whoever) die, but now, as much of a skeptic as I am, I get it. Sometimes someone is responsible for feelings that you can't really understand or explain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports