Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Beckham believes the 2022 World Cup should be held in Qatar

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I like Beckham but he's got this so so wrong. A World Cup in Qatar is symbolic of the endemic corruption in FIFA and the fans don't want it. Moreover, I'm sure by 2022 FIFA will have been replaced with another more democratic body and I wouldn't want that body to be saddled with this white elephant relic of a corrupt past regime.

Ironically, if not Qatar then in all probability it would be the USA instead, in which case that would dovetail very nicely with Beckham's plans for his own US soccer franchise in Miami. Has he actually thought this through?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But of course it's not "bringing football to new countries" really is it as Qataris have very little interest in the sport? The total population of the country is only 1.8 million
To be fair, it would be higher if so many hadn't died on construction sites.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
To be fair, it would be higher if so many hadn't died on construction sites.

Get your drift. The migrant workers are paid slaves and are sent home when no longer needed. After the Nepalese earthquake earlier this year, the Nepalese workforce were not allowed to leave to help rebuild their homes, villages and to mourn. Even without pay.
Be careful Beckham.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Qatar really is a horrible horrible country. In every way. I lived there for 11 months very unpleasant in the early noughties.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here