Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Whelan steps down as Wigan chairman and is replaced by 23-year-old grandson

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You know what, I'd rather spend 20 years in the Championship than a meteoric rise up the leagues ending in a couple of seasons in the top flight as everyone's whipping boys followed by a quick drop back into the obscurity of the lower leagues with hundreds of millions of pounds debt as the price paid.

It wasn't a couple of seasons, it was 8 years. They won an FA Cup, they produced a number of high quality players and, like the Albion, the debt was covered by the chairman. In many ways they set the template for the Albion and many other Championship clubs on how to sustain yourself in the Prem. We're talking about Wigan here, a rugby town.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You know what, I'd rather spend 20 years in the Championship than a meteoric rise up the leagues ending in a couple of seasons in the top flight as everyone's whipping boys followed by a quick drop back into the obscurity of the lower leagues with hundreds of millions of pounds debt as the price paid.

Hardly whipping boys, and hardly a couple of seasons. They had EIGHT years in the PL, finishing 10,17,14,11,16,16,15,18. And won the FA Cup. Its gone rapidly tits up for them now, but offer me their last decade and I'd have your hand off, in fact most of your arm.

As for being hundreds of millions in debt - I'm not sure thats the case, but crucially they still have a long-term owner who is looking after that clubs best interests. Another Pompey they are not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I like the Championship. There is still just a modicum of honesty about the place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why are people writing as if this is an actual thing and not a puppet appointment.

Shirley this is just 'name only'.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It wasn't a couple of seasons, it was 8 years. They won an FA Cup, they produced a number of high quality players and, like the Albion, the debt was covered by the chairman. In many ways they set the template for the Albion and many other Championship clubs on how to sustain yourself in the Prem. We're talking about Wigan here, a rugby town.
I think Buzzer is intimating about the artificial inflation of clubs and their subsequent demise once the plugs pulled,something goes pear shaped and down they fall. But maybe I am putting words in his mouth.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the Championship. There is still just a modicum of honesty about the place.

Yup. It's still marginally in favour of substance over style, not too obsessed with its own importance, and with enough turnover of new clubs each season to keep it interesting.

No SUPER SUNDAY here, and I'm happy with that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think Buzzer is intimating about the artificial inflation of clubs and their subsequent demise once the plugs pulled,something goes pear shaped and down they fall. But maybe I am putting words in his mouth.

Yup! I wasn't referring specifically to Wigan, I've no idea how well they've done as I'm not a big footie fan, (I support Brighton, hate Palace and Man U ans that's about it) but I reckon that we wouldn't last too long in the Premier League and all bar one or two clubs that get relegated end up in financial straits soon after. And as you say, I like this league.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I take it you weren't around for the glorious 76-83 period of our history. What is the point of playing sport, any sport, if you don't strive to be the best you can be and challenge those that are currently better than you.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brother has just returned from holiday in the Philipines near their hotel was a restaurant named Chinky Palace it is obviously still accepted out there, no problem and not seen as rasicist or deflamatory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here