Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't even know we are spending time on this one. All the confirmation we've had from the Albion side is Naylor saying we "maintain an interest" and then lots of random Twitter info. For all we know we've moved on to other targets, or we never were focusing on him this summer.

Or the entirety of the English, European, Spanish and South American contacts, scouting network, operations chiefs, Winstano, Ashworth, GPott, Barber and Tony are all staring at their phones waiting for Nunez' mum's dog to return a call.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Heard it was Inter Milan

Have to say, whatever anyone says to criticise the recruitment team not getting our elusive striker, they sure seem to have identified some good ones. If City and Inter are even considering this guy he’s clearly got something about him.

Just a shame we can’t get some of these deals over the line, whether that’s due to wages or the player simply not interested in joining us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Have to say, whatever anyone says to criticise the recruitment team not getting our elusive striker, they sure seem to have identified some good ones. If City and Inter are even considering this guy he’s clearly got something about him.

Just a shame we can’t get some of these deals over the line, whether that’s due to wages or the player simply not interested in joining us.
We should of not messed about last summer with offers of £12m for Nunez Almeria wanted £20-25m.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We should of not messed about last summer with offers of £12m for Nunez Almeria wanted £20-25m.

Unfortunately we don’t know all the facts do we.

If it’s as simple as not bidding slightly more I’d agree with you that does seem a mistake. I suspect there’s more to it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Didn’t we bid more than Benfica, £23 million ?

I’m sure that is what was reported, but, Nunez, quite understandably wanted CL football.
I can’t remember £12 million ever being mentioned.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Didn’t we bid more than Benfica, £23 million ?

I’m sure that is what was reported, but, Nunez, quite understandably wanted CL football.
I can’t remember £12 million ever being mentioned.
I remember his agent saying we did right at the death when it was to late for weeks we were the only club interested should been wrapped up earlier it would seem.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Meh.

I can't remember ever missing out on a striker and then that striker ending up scoring a shed load elsewhere !!! Maybe Tammy Abraham and that's it?

We had the Swiss postman with the dodgy ticker, the Dutch guy from spurs who was/is absolutely terrible. Gonzalez yet to be seen and this guy who has less than 10 goals in the Portuguese league.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Meh.

I can't remember ever missing out on a striker and then that striker ending up scoring a shed load elsewhere !!! Maybe Tammy Abraham and that's it?

We had the Swiss postman with the dodgy ticker, the Dutch guy from spurs who was/is absolutely terrible. Gonzalez yet to be seen and this guy who has less than 10 goals in the Portuguese league.

Youssef En-Nesyri, had a change of heart when just about to fly to England to sign for us. Last season bagged 24 goals from 52 appearances for Sevilla.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Youssef En-Nesyri, had a change of heart when just about to fly to England to sign for us. Last season bagged 24 goals from 52 appearances for Sevilla.

Other than him.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Meh.

When have we last missed out on a striker who was linked to clubs like Inter Milan and City?

And he scored 5 goals in 8 appearances in the Europa League. There’s huge potential value if he does well, it’s all about the complete package. I’ll trust our clubs recruitment who are hitting it out the park at this point.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Except we had this problem when Hughton was manager too. We didn't sign a striker when everyone thought we needed one in the promotion season and still went up. We didn't sign a striker when everyone thought we needed one in the summer of our first Premier League season and we stayed up (and our two January signings didn't have a lot of impact). We relied on Murray having a great couple of seasons. We did sign Andone at the end of the first season but he has had less impact overall than the two strikers we've signed while Potter has been manager, Maupay and Welbeck.

The simple reason we struggle to sign quality strikers is they are the most sought after players who cost the most money and we won't spend big money on wages, quite correctly in my view.

Our tactic is to find market value. To put that into FIFA terms we are looking at players in the low 70's who we believe will become players in the high 80's but trying to convince the selling club that they are only going to be a 75 and offering the player a wage in the low 70's. There is no garuntee these players will make the improvement we hope for and many clubs are convinced their stars will go on to become a 90+ player so they are trying to inflate the fee.

Many players realise they need to take steps to the top and we are hoping to be a part of that journey, purchasing U20's offers the largest increase in value but the biggest risk of failure. Buying in the U23's means we can be certain of quality and promise but offers less of an increase in value. We will only purchase if we are sure the striker would be an improvement on our existing players and is likely to have a re sale value of £50m+ once they have had a successful spell in the Premier league.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To waste one transfer window chasing him was bad enough to repeat it is even worse. He rejected us let's move on

He chose CL Benfica over us, most neutral players would.

Despatch Bruno to Lisbon, and get Cavani's agent on the phone. 500k if Cavani makes 1 call and convinces the player who idolises him (Nunez) how great the PL is, how great the city of Brighton is and how good their set up is etc.

Where is Poyet when you need him!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
When have we last missed out on a striker who was linked to clubs like Inter Milan and City?

And he scored 5 goals in 8 appearances in the Europa League. There’s huge potential value if he does well, it’s all about the complete package. I’ll trust our clubs recruitment who are hitting it out the park at this point.

Those links were almost certainly made up by his agent. City are looking at spending 100m+ on strikers like Harry Kane, so I can’t see them having much interest in a bloke that hasn’t even got into double figures in the Portuguese league. And the Europa league goals were against Championship level opposition, at best.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Those links were almost certainly made up by his agent. City are looking at spending 100m+ on strikers like Harry Kane, so I can’t see them having much interest in a bloke that hasn’t even got into double figures in the Portuguese league. And the Europa league goals were against Championship level opposition, at best.

It’s all about finding value and developing potential I think rather than “this player must have scored 20+ goals in his league”.

I don’t think it’ll happen but I would be delighted if we signed Nunez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here