Jan 8, 2004
At least he is a striker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Based on what?

Doesn’t want us buying a striker from the Spanish second division, listed the European punts like Andone and Locadia as flops, he was more in favour of Josh King as he’s proven in the division and won’t need a year to settle and adapt.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Doesn’t want us buying a striker from the Spanish second division, listed the European punts like Andone and Locadia as flops, he was more in favour of Josh King as he’s proven in the division and won’t need a year to settle and adapt.

Makes sense I suppose. Our new striker needs to be ready made for the PL or at least from a top club in a top league.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Doesn't want signings from Europe? Sounds like the sort of thing an American would say, lots of them seem to think Europe is one place

I'd argue that Andone wasn't a flop in ability, it was the fact that he was a headcase.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Makes a fair point

We were buying their strikers in the Championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Doesn't want signings from Europe? Sounds like the sort of thing an American would say, lots of them seem to think Europe is one place

I'd argue that Andone wasn't a flop in ability, it was the fact that he was a headcase.

I was watching some highlights of Andone playing for us recently. He really is/was a decent player. Shame he was such a difficult character.

On the wider point, I get that everyone wants a "proven" premier league striker but at our level that's not going to happen without paying huge money on fees and wages. Occassionally a bottom 6 team will get a good striker but it's usually because they bought them cheap and they developed them or they are quality but come with baggage (attitude, injuries, getting on in terms of age etc).

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

I think it's about balance here. We all want proven premier league quality, but we also need to buy players that can be developed and sold (i.e young and lots of potential). It's very difficult to find a player (particularly when you're a bottom half club) that ticks both boxes. That said, we do already have one in Maupay, who'll only get better, so that does make me think that ashworth and co. maybe tempted by a more speculative 'punt' this summer

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I was watching some highlights of Andone playing for us recently. He really is/was a decent player. Shame he was such a difficult character.

On the wider point, I get that everyone wants a "proven" premier league striker but at our level that's not going to happen without paying huge money on fees and wages. Occassionally a bottom 6 team will get a good striker but it's usually because they bought them cheap and they developed them or they are quality but come with baggage (attitude, injuries, getting on in terms of age etc).

Andone so much better than people give him credit for. £15mil player for sure.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Doesn’t want signings from second tier or second rate leagues I gather, not that he doesn’t want players from Europe.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
This Darwin could certainly create a" voyage of the seagulls" up the table.he may even cause "the descent of man (utd and city)".be interesting to see his response to the palace ultras,I'm guessing he will certainly ponder the origin of those particular species.only problem with us signing Darwin at the moment is that it's all just theory.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think it's about balance here. We all want proven premier league quality, but we also need to buy players that can be developed and sold (i.e young and lots of potential). It's very difficult to find a player (particularly when you're a bottom half club) that ticks both boxes. That said, we do already have one in Maupay, who'll only get better, so that does make me think that ashworth and co. maybe tempted by a more speculative 'punt' this summer

Quite, we currently have 3 strikers, a prospect, an investment and Murray. All Warren is asking for is a recognised striker, I think he mentioned Watkins as he’s already familiar with Maupay so would take little time to settle, he’s very pleased with Maupay but he does point out that he snatches at chances sometimes when a bit of composure is needed.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
In Warren’s unique way he was basically trying to say he wanted us to sell the fringe players and some of those coming back from loan and put all the money in the pot to buy one, quality and proven striker rather than taking a punt on £10/15 million strikers from other leagues Locadia style. Kind of what a lot of people on here have been saying.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Quite, we currently have 3 strikers, a prospect, an investment and Murray. All Warren is asking for is a recognised striker, I think he mentioned Watkins as he’s already familiar with Maupay so would take little time to settle, he’s very pleased with Maupay but he does point out that he snatches at chances sometimes when a bit of composure is needed.

From what I've seen, people have been asking for two different types of strikers. People either want Premier League proven forwards who can get 15 goals a season straight away (King), or they're asking for a Glenn Murray replacement (Nunez, Edouard). Again, I think it would be very hard to tick both of those boxes, so I suppose it really comes down to how long-term the club are thinking with this one. Quite how that factors into the prioritisation of targets, I'm not sure, but all I'll say is I certainly think Nunez is more ready than people give him credit for, and has all the attributes to succeed in this team. I remember Ayoze Perez coming over from the Spanish second tier and practically carrying Newcastle's attack for an entire season, and he's since become a great player

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Andone so much better than people give him credit for. £15mil player for sure.

I know someone who had some dealings with him, apparently a very nice guy off the pitch. The problem was his wife never settled in the UK.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

He was also a "non-gamble". The club paid £5 million as part of a relegation release clause. They have probably made a chunk of that back in a loan fee from Galatasaray already and will be able to sell him on for a generous profit.

Arguably, he has already paid his fee back by scoring four goals in four wins against relegation rivals (Huddersfield X 2, Palace and Watford). Get rid for the obvious reasons but also well done the club for a good bit of business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here