Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dartford Crossing Cashless From November 30th

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The price certainly shouldn't have gone - ANPR is cheap as chips compared to employing real people.

I assume you mean - shouldn't have gone UP -not trying to be clever clogs, by the way! If ANPR is as cheap as you say, and I really don't know, then why have they put the price up, considering it must be making millions anyway. Obviously the cost of transferring the system must be taken into account, then the usual greed, and I thought that it might also be the potential cost of taking to court those who try it on. ANPR would obviously catch the dodgers out, but it will be interesting to see to what extent people will try and flout payment. Does anyone know what percentage dodge the London congestion charge - I imagine that the more that do it, the greater chance that they could get away with it, as the trouble of contacting those people could be quite prohibitive if the system is over-run. As an aside, I read somewhere that the Police ANPR cameras have only a 96% accuracy rate on number plates, as they can be confused by the screw being in the wrong place plus confusion as to what is a nought and what is a letter "o".
But I will happily defer to those on here who know more about this than I do.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Thanks for reminder/link. Just signed up for pre payment with auto top up. A simple process, registered both our cars, and £1.67 instead of £2.50 per trip. Best of all, no need to worry about forgetting to pay. Wont suit everyone, but if you are a fairly regular user got to be a good option.

How was it £1.67? I saw no mention of price when I signed up just now

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I read somewhere that the Police ANPR cameras have only a 96% accuracy rate on number plates, as they can be confused by the screw being in the wrong place plus confusion as to what is a nought and what is a letter "o".

I recently got a speeding ticket on the A24 at a time when I was safely tucked up in bed. When I challenged the ticket they admitted the camera wrongly read my number plate. They cancelled the ticket.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks for reminder/link. Just signed up for pre payment with auto top up. A simple process, registered both our cars, and £1.67 instead of £2.50 per trip. Best of all, no need to worry about forgetting to pay. Wont suit everyone, but if you are a fairly regular user got to be a good option.
You could get a job doing this with your track record this month, Martyn Lewis better be watching his back! 👍👏💲

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The stated purpose of the Congestion charge in Central London was to reduce traffic by a combination of cost and the incovenience of making payment, especially for the casual visitor.

On that basis how much extra traffic can we expect to see on the Western side of the M25? I only travel through the tunnel on an infrequent basis - normally when needing to use the A1M at short notice. There is little difference in mileage for me between the Eastern and Western routes - needing to go through the additional hassle of paying on-line or over the phone will probably mean I'll go West - this sort of decision must be made by thousands every day joining the M25 from the South.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
How was it £1.67? I saw no mention of price when I signed up just now

This was in the fee section:

Cars (including trailers), motorhomes, vans and buses with less than 9 seats Single Payment £2.50 Standard account £1.67

I think the pre payment account is the standard one they refer to, albeit not certain.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The stated purpose of the Congestion charge in Central London was to reduce traffic by a combination of cost and the incovenience of making payment, especially for the casual visitor.

On that basis how much extra traffic can we expect to see on the Western side of the M25? I only travel through the tunnel on an infrequent basis - normally when needing to use the A1M at short notice. There is little difference in mileage for me between the Eastern and Western routes - needing to go through the additional hassle of paying on-line or over the phone will probably mean I'll go West - this sort of decision must be made by thousands every day joining the M25 from the South.

Would have thought that the reduction of queues will give people the incentive to go east, rather than west, certainly me!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Would have thought that the reduction of queues will give people the incentive to go east, rather than west, certainly me!

No it won't....spoke to an independent traffic expert yesterday and he and fellow experts are predicting a rise in M25 traffic travelling west of between 22-28%.
Bearing in mind that some of the ' western ' sections ( around Heathrow/M4/M40 ) are the busiest in Europe, I suggest we are in for some fun and games. Beware any snarl ups. You ain't seen nothing yet.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sounds like a sensible idea to me, surprised it didn't happen ages ago.
I just hope Heathrow doesn't get that runway as that will be a nightmare Westbound

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It should be FREE!

Agree...it should be and it was going to be, after initial construction costs were paid for, but certain powers to be decided that the revenue was too great to turn away. Now its risen, in stages from £1 ( for cars ) to £2.50 and that, despite making hundreds of people redundant and saving a fortune.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Wonderful, a number of people lose their jobs which we'll now have to pay benefits to, and the price goes up as well, even though it only went up a couple of years ago. Lucky we own it so the money will go into the tax take...........oh no, hold on, we sold it off

People at the booths will loose jobs, however some will be created in payment processing via phone, letter and website maintenance

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Annual revenue from the crossing, year ending 31/03/13....£80,331,662.
2) Average usage...130,000 vehicles per day.
3) Average annual usage ( approx )....47,000,000
4) Average revenue from each vehicle...approx £1.70.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No it won't....spoke to an independent traffic expert yesterday and he and fellow experts are predicting a rise in M25 traffic travelling west of between 22-28%.
Bearing in mind that some of the ' western ' sections ( around Heathrow/M4/M40 ) are the busiest in Europe, I suggest we are in for some fun and games. Beware any snarl ups. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Hmm surprising, with all due respect to these traffic experts I wonder how they are arriving at those estimates, it's not as if there is any precedence for this before on the m25. As you say the western section is always ridiculous, why anyone would choose to go that way, rather than East and logon afterwards to pay and save time, everything else being equal is beyond me. It's not as if the Internet is new these days, and it can be automated too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here