• Dark Star

Votes: 69 53.9%
  • Harveys

Votes: 59 46.1%

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is a bit sneaky, starting a poll like this when I am out of the country ! Fortunately, by the wonders of Spanish steam computers i am able to vote......and my vote is DARK STAR !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Down with Harvey´s pond water !:wrong:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dark Star is easily better

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Dark Star for me. Never liked Harverys.

Found a website that has the Dark Star pub in Brighton rated as the best pub in britain.
top 40 pubs # beerintheevening.com
Fixtures

An interesting poll. I was at a funeral last week and in order to lighten the mood we had two kegs of beer for those gathered. One was of Harveys Sussex and the other was Dark Star Hophead. They both went fairly quickly but for me the Harveys had to be top choice. I genuinely rate Harveys Sussex as the nicest beer I know. It just always slips down with such ease and were I to move overseas proper English beer is one of the things I'd miss most
this

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Dark Star for me. Never liked Harverys.

Found a website that has the Dark Star pub in Brighton rated as the best pub in britain.
top 40 pubs # beerintheevening.com

There was a thread about that chart when the Evening Star first went top a couple of weeks ago. The strangest thing looking at the current list (and the bigger Top 100 list) is how de-Londoned it's become since then. People were complaining in the previous thread how 16 of the top 20 (and around 60 of the top 100) were London pubs. Now there's less than 30 Greater London pubs in the 100, and only nine in the Top 50. Hurrah!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
More than I'd realised, when I read a copy of Sussex Drinker that I picked up in the Cricketers (Berwick) on Wednesday. Here goes:-

1648 Brewing Co - E Hoathly
Adur - Steyning
Arundel - Ford
Ballards - Nyewood
Beachy Head - East Dean
Dark Star - Partridge Green
Fallen Angel - E Hoathly
Filo - Hastings
Full Moon - Catsfield (restarting late 2010)
Gribble - Oving
Hammerpot - Poling
Harveys - Lewes
Hepworth - Horsham
Kemptown - Brighton
W J King - Horsham
Langham - Lodsworth
Rectory - Streat
Rother Valley - Northiam
Welton's - Horsham
White - Bexhill

Blimey, didn't think there would be that many, I have only heard of a handful on that list...I am guessing that W J King in Horsham is something to do with the former K&B brewery.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Blimey, didn't think there would be that many, I have only heard of a handful on that list...I am guessing that W J King in Horsham is something to do with the former K&B brewery.

King & Barnes were bought out by Badger and their brewery demolished. The guy who ran it set up a microbrewery called King & Co a couple of years later. I avoid their beer as the only place in Brighton that is supplied by them - The Pond near the train station - charges £3.40 a pint!

On top of the 20 beer breweries, Sussex also boasts 7 cider makers. Yay!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On top of the 20 beer breweries, Sussex also boasts 7 cider makers. Yay!

If we are just talking about alcohol then there is also Nyetimber vineyard, who produce award winning sparkling white wine!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Harveys let far too many of their own establishments get away with serving substandard pints of Best, and they're largely unwilling to sell anything other than it (which is far from their best beer in my books). A good pint of Old or Pale is a glorious drink but it's too rare that you'll get one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Both Hepworth and WJ King are ex King & Barnes. Andy Hepworth was head brewer at K&B and Bill King ran the firm but got sold out by the rest of the shareholders to Hall & Woodlouse who have shut the brewery, don't brew any K&B Beers except a poor imitation of their Sussex and have shut many K&B Pubs to boot - no I dont drink in any ex K&B Houses any more! :rant:

With Weltons as well, Horsham does have 3 breweries now, sadly there were so many K&B Pubs in Horsham it is difficult to for them to sell their Beers in their home town or for punters to get a decent pint there now - the Malt Shovel in Springfield Road is favourite.....

Oh and Arundel do some very, very nice beers indeed including a lovely Mild.

ROYAL ONE

Apr 10, 2010
harveys vs dark star

It has to be Harveys as they are the oldest and know a lot more about different beers and are well known all over the world :bla::clap:

ROYAL ONE

Apr 10, 2010
you are right about kings also hepworths used to work for them also but you have left one out a new be in Crawley it is the KISSINGATE BREWERY

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I can understand people stating a preference one way or the other, but posters who say one is shit are just not very bright.

Too right. We're lucky we can even have such a discussion. Both brewers make some very drinkable beers. On a seperate note I am a BIG fan of Harveys Old but as has been mentioned it does appear to be quite a rare find. Does anyone know any decent boozers that regularly serve this delicious ale?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Too right. We're lucky we can even have such a discussion. Both brewers make some very drinkable beers. On a seperate note I am a BIG fan of Harveys Old but as has been mentioned it does appear to be quite a rare find. Does anyone know any decent boozers that regularly serve this delicious ale?

It's only available in the winter months. more's the pity.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That makes sense. The Ranelagh off St James' St usually have it in the colder months and when it's not there I tend to go for Guinness. Shame you can't get it all year round really as it is a very fine drop of ale

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here