[Drinking] Dark Star to leave Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I always feel a pang when a brewery closes but in the case of Dark Star that pang occurred quite a while ago. This week's news is really just admin on top of what had already happened, to be blunt.

Luckily here in Sussex we have some excellent alternatives to choose from.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would rather drink at home than drink in a place that appears to look devoid of character.
Sorry if that sounds harsh.
I was in post match on Sunday and there were two tables with two women sitting at them. Not unusual but I did think that it could have been a favourable environment to the pub next door. I hope they find their market. The music is good btw. And not intrusive.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Have you driven up the A29 lately? The Hepworths Brewery is at least as large as Dark Star was. Arundel doing OK and there are a fair few Craft Breweries around RH20.

Dark Star should have never got into bed with Fullers, it was only going to go one way...
Hepworths was I think one of three breweries started by ex K&B employees, in the same way that Burning Sky was spawned from Dark Star, good to see things going full circle. Not sure that the brewery is actually that large though, just in a prominent location.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Loads in Sussex - 360 by Sheffield park are getting popular as well

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I would rather drink at home than drink in a place that appears to look devoid of character.
Sorry if that sounds harsh.
I was in post match on Sunday and there were two tables with two women sitting at them. Not unusual but I did think that it could have been a favourable environment to the pub next door. I hope they find their market. The music is good btw. And not intrusive.

Jul 7, 2003
Fairly sure Bedlam has a few ex-Dark Star people there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You'd think it would be cheaper going to the brewery to purchase. I did not understand that.
If should be cheaper than pub price I saw an invoice at my local micro pub once for a 72 pint cask that was something like £85...at Goldmark I pay £5 a litre including the plastic bottle.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hepworths was I think one of three breweries started by ex K&B employees, in the same way that Burning Sky was spawned from Dark Star, good to see things going full circle. Not sure that the brewery is actually that large though, just in a prominent location.

It certainly isn't a Micro, they bought the old K&B Bottling Plant and have just installed a Canning Line.

I Reckon they must do volumes close to what K&B were doing at the end.

As an aside I did the K&B Ale Trail when I moved down to Sussex in 1995. K&B had around 60 tied houses back then.
Hall and Woodhouse have closed/demolished half of them since the takeover including my Local (the Grapes) in Pease Pottage.

I won't drink in any of their (remaining) pubs.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s almost as if Rob Jones and Mark Tranter could see it all coming years ago

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I have never been a huge fan of Harveys and was glad when Dark Star came along to provide some competition. Hophead was an excellent session beer and I still remember when Dark Star was sold at the Amex

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I'm afraid I know what happened, it was entirely within the laws of business, but not respectful or right IMO. Confidential, can say nbo more. :(
why did they sell ? Did they give up their shares at some point in time ? I genuinely don’t know.

But difficult one, as a business owner why wouldn’t you want a pay out at some point, but agree these things rarely work out well as big global corps have no room for sentiment.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Harvey's is a bit of staple but not overly exciting. Old ale now on tap and I love that. Bedlam brewery also gets my nod. Some outstanding ales and Porters. The Pilsners for the non ale drinkers are also good quality.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I still remember when Dark Star was sold at the Amex
Ahhh.....

Those were the days, When you could go to the Amex, throw a pie at Zaha without getting a ban, Gullys Girls, Dark Star, bottle tops left on the respective bottles......

Ahhhh....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It leaves the West of the county seriously under brewed compared to the East. I know the origins were in Brighton, but it was sort of filling a King and Barnes size whole. Not sure which is the next biggest brewer in West Sussex, they all look pretty small scale.
Arundel is pretty decent.
Hepworth are of a size now too,
Also, Greyhound, who own the rights to make Ballards beers.
Firebird.
Langham.

The rest are indeed small operations, but there are fair few (c15) of them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
all this made me think i should get in a mini keg of Partridge. disappointed to see they've followed trend to sell 8 variations on IPA. even their new Best is described as citrusy. not worth saving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports