Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Wellbeck

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Welbeck for me has to be number 1 starting striker. He gives me a confidence he is going to score when he gets the chances.

Take the goal he scored at Villa. As soon as he was put through, I was 100% confident he was going to score, which I would not have been had it been either Maupay or Connolly. I've not had that feeling with any striker since Bobby Z

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's not fully up to speed yet, will sharpen up a bit in front of goal hopefully
A better striker currently than Maupay and Connolly (so yes, first choice), but can see him working well with them, particulalry Maupay who is pretty intelligent and holds the ball up well
He's definitely an upgrade on Murray (particularly pace) which is what we've needed
Delighted to see him play 3 x full 90s in a row - hope he can stay fit

Do we always have to have one player whose name has to be spelled incorrectly ? :dunce::facepalm::lolol:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's not fully up to speed yet, will sharpen up a bit in front of goal hopefully
A better striker currently than Maupay and Connolly (so yes, first choice), but can see him working well with them, particulalry Maupay who is pretty intelligent and holds the ball up well
He's definitely an upgrade on Murray (particularly pace) which is what we've needed
Delighted to see him play 3 x full 90s in a row - hope he can stay fit

Do we always have to have one player whose name has to be spelled incorrectly ? :dunce::facepalm::lolol:

No, we've got two! Our strike force on Monday was WELLBECK and CONOLLY.

I've also just noticed you spelt PARTICULARLY wrong! :lolol:

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Very good player who is steadily improving and seems happy to be playing in a central role.
I was underwhelmed when we signed him but happy to be proved wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we get a moderator to adjust the thread title so at least his last name is spelt correctly?

Thankfully we don't have the Houghton problem with Grayham Pitter.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Take the goal he scored at Villa. As soon as he was put through, I was 100% confident he was going to score, which I would not have been had it been either Maupay or Connolly. I've not had that feeling with any striker since Bobby Z

That is actually a very good point, as he was racing through I said to my daughter he's gonna dink it, this is going in....

Which is a big change to when Connolly or Maupay are through and about to unleash a shot, when I fall silent and hope against hope that the shot takes a wicked deflection and somehow finds it's way into the back of net. I am just not confident, it is always a surprise when they do score.

Zamora and Murray you could bank on hitting the net, if a ball came whizzing in and they were there or thereabouts, you just knew 9 times out of 10 they would score, you had that feeling and Wellbeck gave me that, you can tell he is not up to speed just yet, but even so he is the potent threat we have at the moment.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Welbeck for me has to be number 1 starting striker. He gives me a confidence he is going to score when he gets the chances.

I think that was my favourite moment of the season so far, I loved that goal and like you was 100% confident he would put it away.

I posted on a thread somewhere not long after he signed that I was looking forward to seeing him dinking the ball over a keeper from a Lallana through ball, it happened a lot sooner than I was expecting!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was a little bit shocked to hear he had spent significant time during the lock-down reading books, but otherwise I like him and think he’s a good buy.

FF1

Aug 28, 2019
I think Wellbeck is easily our best striker. Maupay a solid second and Connolly a distant third. Furthermore, I am having a hard time seeing a partnership developing between any two of them. I think Maupay can be too selfish at times and Connolly not experienced enough to partner up with a striker up front.

What I'd like to see is Wellbeck on top with any three of Lallana, Trossard, Jahanbakhsh, Gross and Mac Allister. Maybe even Zeqiri, not sure. I have never seen him play.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i think he will do well with Maupay , Connoly is too raw , i just don't understand why , when you have all week on the training ground that when you are sent on as sub the assistant mgr has to show you what to do on a piece of paper or an iPad ....ffs come on eh...??

Are you insinuating the bearded man-child is a bit thick? They wave an iPAD at most of them these days as they are about to come on.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing Welbs play up front with little Flozza. Large with Little. Measured with mentalist. Christian with Devil worshipper. It could be armegeddon for the opposition. :drool:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's CONNELLY :D

Can you imagine what the WBA equivalent of NSC would be like now if Ryszard Lech (Dick) Krzywicki were reincarnated? ???

Ruined. Fact.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One goal from seven shots (14.29%), same as Connolly (14.29%) and worse than Maupay (22.22%)... all three of them among the worst of PL's regularly starting strikers. He obviously settled fine!

More seriously speaking I've been surprised over how quick he's come into fitness. You still see in some situations that he is a bit rusty, but he definitely brings something different, a bit of muscle and cool-headedness. The Maupster and Connolly are going to learn a lot from him.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
On Monday I was struck with the thought that the team's policy is now:-

Pass to Danny.

It was classic Fresh Prince :lol:

The thing is, it might just work, he's rather good.

Edit - Oh and I took exception with one poster saying Maupay is really off form.
I was countering with 'the was panenkaing a couple of months ago'.
Monday night would suggest I was wrong, he really looked like a player that doesn't trust himself.
Not an accusation that can be leveled at Mr Welbeck.

Yeah we're really ripping sides apart .............

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
Can you imagine what the WBA equivalent of NSC would be like now if Ryszard Lech (Dick) Krzywicki were reincarnated? ???

Ruined. Fact.

Ah yes, Dick Krzywicki. One of those players who embraced 1970's facial hair in all its guises. Moustaches, beards that started on the chest and moved effortlessly up over the face and neck and huge sideburns that looked like cheek pieces on a racehorse. He rocked them all.

Wasn't a bad outside left either.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Perhaps not the most popular opinion, but I'd rather Maupay and Connolly start together. I've always felt they work well and understand one another so well - an example of that recently was Maupay's pass for Aaron's 1-on-1 against Liverpool. Would rather Danny came on early doors second half for whichever of the two (probably Aaron) who's flagging. That way we give teams something different to think about in second halves of games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here