Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think a Turkish club had offered him a contract last season too and he rejected it to come to us. I just hope we have set a deadline for a decision so we can move on. If he comes I'd want him to have had a full pre season training. If he doesn't I hope we are in discussions with some alternatives.

This. We defo need to set a deadline. He is great but also injured a lot. Personally, I think all his suitors will see him as a gamble, and he is happy here, so should realise it makes sense from his POV to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
reading the last couple of pages, it would appear that every other club has done all their transfer business and we haven't done anything. With so many players off at the Euros, and scattered all around Europe, and there being a couple of months left why is anyone expecting all these signings? As far as I recall there have been virtually no signings from anyone from any club, yet here NSC is bemoaning the fact that one player hasn't fully committed himself to the club.

We all know how the club works, the majority of signings are completely undercover until announced as a done deal.

It will be the same for Welbeck , if he doesnt sign, then he doesn't but I fully expect offers have been made (assuming the club want to keep him) and negotiations have started.

Any player is likely to want to see what options he has, so its reasonable to expect things will be very quiet until at least the first round of the euros is complete and players start to return home and then the transfer market will start to pick up and as teams fail(or succeed) in getting first choices offers will be made for alternatives and so the whole merry-go-round will gather pace

I

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
reading the last couple of pages, it would appear that every other club has done all their transfer business and we haven't done anything. With so many players off at the Euros, and scattered all around Europe, and there being a couple of months left why is anyone expecting all these signings? As far as I recall there have been virtually no signings from anyone from any club, yet here NSC is bemoaning the fact that one player hasn't fully committed himself to the club.

We all know how the club works, the majority of signings are completely undercover until announced as a done deal.

It will be the same for Welbeck , if he doesnt sign, then he doesn't but I fully expect offers have been made (assuming the club want to keep him) and negotiations have started.

Any player is likely to want to see what options he has, so its reasonable to expect things will be very quiet until at least the first round of the euros is complete and players start to return home and then the transfer market will start to pick up and as teams fail(or succeed) in getting first choices offers will be made for alternatives and so the whole merry-go-round will gather pace

I

In general yes but this one is a particular worry as it is in an area of the pitch where we were looking to strengthen and if we lose Wellbeck as well (as our second highest scorer) it compounds the problem

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I

The club have stated publicly two weeks ago they want him to stay and have made him a contract offer. Yes, Welbeck is contracted for another 10 days and can take his time, but given a year ago he was in the Championship, he is over 30 and has a history of injuries then weighing up the pros and cons you would have expected him to have to have signed the contract by now.

The bloke only started showing his best form when he was a regular starter, and he' not going to get that from a top half team. Personally, I'd be surprised if he re-signs and fancy Southampton, Palace or one of the promoted three will come in for him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wish it was that simple.

Footballers like Welbeck don’t need a monthly salary coming in like a lot of us fans.

Danny’s agent (who is seemingly talking to quite a few clubs if you believe the stories) probably has half a dozen contracts on the table ready to sign. I suspect the agent would ask for back payment to July 1st and with the competition for his signature, they’d get it.

I would imagine the length of contract is the issue here. I suspect he’ll pick the longest term, I also think we’ve only offered him a 1 year deal (just a hunch).
OK.

I still doubt he will sign on again for us.

If he is looking for other deals then I doubt our offer is top of the pile.

It was always a case of the longer he went without signing for us the more unlikely a deal is done.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
OK.

I still doubt he will sign on again for us.

If he is looking for other deals then I doubt our offer is top of the pile.

It was always a case of the longer he went without signing for us the more unlikely a deal is done.

He is clearly a very decent chap and his agents are apparently members of his family.

If they are in ‘final pay cheque’ mode than you are right. But I’m hoping that he recognise the possibility of achieving something very special with us. It’s only sensible to assess all options when you’re out of contract but the status quo for his situation seems less risky.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The club have stated publicly two weeks ago they want him to stay and have made him a contract offer. Yes, Welbeck is contracted for another 10 days and can take his time, but given a year ago he was in the Championship, he is over 30 and has a history of injuries then weighing up the pros and cons you would have expected him to have to have signed the contract by now.

The bloke only started showing his best form when he was a regular starter, and he' not going to get that from a top half team. Personally, I'd be surprised if he re-signs and fancy Southampton, Palace or one of the promoted three will come in for him.

Where he would be no better off, plus better the devil you know

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Why would you expect him to have signed by now ? I wouldn’t - if I was in his position I’d wait and see what other options there were. He doesn’t need to rush into anything - he knows he’s in demand.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Why would you expect him to have signed by now ? I wouldn’t - if I was in his position I’d wait and see what other options there were. He doesn’t need to rush into anything - he knows he’s in demand.

It is all about the length of the contract. If he can persuade anyone to offer him a three year deal, he will be gone. Based on the second half of the season, he still has a lot to offer. Zoom out and he doesn't look such a sure fire bet.

I think it will go down to the deadline and nothing against him, I hope we have done our business well before then.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is all about the length of the contract. If he can persuade anyone to offer him a three year deal, he will be gone. Based on the second half of the season, he still has a lot to offer. Zoom out and he doesn't look such a sure fire bet.

I think it will go down to the deadline and nothing against him, I hope we have done our business well before then.

Yep….just not sure why anyone thinks he would have signed for us already.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This time last season we were assured that Ben White would be handing in a transfer request if we didn’t sell him to Leeds. The close season is a marathon not a sprint :smile:

If Welbeck signs, great, if he doesn’t he’s a money grabbing injury prone ******* who isn’t all that anyway :wink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I totally get that but let's get this in perspective - he got 6 Premier League goals for us last year. He hasn't managed that feat FOR 10 YEARS. He's never scored more than 9 Prem goals in a season. This is as good as it gets for Danny Welbeck. I would be biting Albion's hand off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I totally get that but let's get this in perspective - he got 6 Premier League goals for us last year. He hasn't managed that feat FOR 10 YEARS. He's never scored more than 9 Prem goals in a season. This is as good as it gets for Danny Welbeck. I would be biting Albion's hand off.

…..not if there’s a 3 year contract at say 50% more wages on the table you wouldn’t - and there could be - lots of teams desperate for strikers and lots of clubs willing to chuck stupid money about

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

We don't know the details of our offer. Maybe it's a one year deal. Maybe the wages are on the lower side. Maybe it's heavily reliant on making a certain number of appearances.

As a soon to be 31 year old with a pretty bad injury record, this could well be the last 'big' contract he signs.

I am sure he will consider all options before signing anything.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
…..not if there’s a 3 year contract at say 50% more wages on the table you wouldn’t - and there could be - lots of teams desperate for strikers and lots of clubs willing to chuck stupid money about

And all realising his injury record is shocking

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

This 100%.

We’re clearly a good team, manager and coaching staff for him.

Unless he wants to take the extra dollars and go to a non competitive country, we are a PL club, a decent, stable one, with a style of play that creates a ton of chances, and he’s guaranteed time to play.

Purely on football reasons, I don’t see now be can get better.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This 100%.

We’re clearly a good team, manager and coaching staff for him.

Unless he wants to take the extra dollars and go to a non competitive country, we are a PL club, a decent, stable one, with a style of play that creates a ton of chances, and he’s guaranteed time to play.

Purely on football reasons, I don’t see now be can get better.

But it’s not all about football, take your blue and white specs off. Let’s say, for example, Palace offer him 50% more money and a 3 year deal ? He’s not career-focused now, he isn’t going to get a call-up, he’s a footballer with maybe 3-5 years left to maximise his earnings. He’ll follow the money as long as it suits his personal circumstances (moving to China, US or Turkey might not).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here