Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I would be surprised at West Ham taking him .. Antonio is injury prone and we know Welbeck is too. They might be seeing him as one of two or three that they bring in, but doesn't look that clever to me to have a lot riding on 2 players who are often injured, or at least injured a number of times in the season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We took him on for a year, he did that year.

Everyone's been a winner.

Good luck to him and thanks for all the fish.

Over to recruitment now to sing that striker.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
MLS salary caps in place now - would only be moving there for the experience etc rather than bags of cash

They have a designated player rule, which allows three players per franchise to be exempted from the salary cap - colloquially the "Beckham Rule"*

* unrelated to the "Beckham Rule" in Spanish tax law for foreigners coming to work there...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Excellent player and we’ll miss him if he goes.

He is an injury concern though so we shouldn’t overreach for him. He missed a number of games this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hasn’t he held out until the 11th hour to sign both for Watford and us? Perhaps he was hoping for a bigger club but injury concerns warned them off. I can see a WHU or Everton taking a punt on him after last season. Can’t blame him but it’d be annoying, great player if still a little injury prone.

If he does go elsewhere it would be proof that we are still not in with a chance against bigger clubs for recognised players even though this is our 5th season at this level, we are still L’il Brighton at this level. I suggest Lallana would have gone somewhere else too if he hadn’t been so injury prone.

One day we’ll be seen as biggish though…I hope!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hasn’t he held out until the 11th hour to sign both for Watford and us? Perhaps he was hoping for a bigger club but injury concerns warned them off. I can see a WHU or Everton taking a punt on him after last season. Can’t blame him but it’d be annoying, great player if still a little injury prone.

Yeah I don't expect negotiations to be quick on this one.

Rightly so to be frank.
He needs to get the best deal possible and the club need to be very careful on managing costs.

Whatever the final outcome is, it will be in the club's best interest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They have a designated player rule, which allows three players per franchise to be exempted from the salary cap - colloquially the "Beckham Rule"*

* unrelated to the "Beckham Rule" in Spanish tax law for foreigners coming to work there...

But it still isn't unlimited is it ?

Yeah I don't expect negotiations to be quick on this one.

Rightly so to be frank.
He needs to get the best deal possible and the club need to be very careful on managing costs.

Whatever the final outcome is, it will be in the club's best interest.

Agreed - there is probably no real rush at the moment. Our management are probably away the moment, Welbeck agent will see what other offers are out there. I suspect the club will put a time limit on the offer on the table and will become apparent in the coming weeks.

My only concern is we already need a striker, perhaps 2 if Connolly isn't in the plans. If Welbeck is off then looking to sign 3 strikers in a window seems a huge stretch

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I want him to stay, but I think we’d be a loss for him too.

We’re a good fit and clearly our fitness and coaching staff have worked well with him to make him have his most productive season in years.

If he leaves it’s his loss, but I wish him all the best and thank him for his brilliant contributions this season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The lack of any news on extending his contract is slightly concerning, I am beginning to worry he will be off probably to Palace or Watford knowing our luck.

And we all know what happens next then, don't we....

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
This thread seems a bit resigned to him going at the moment but with no apparent evidence to support that. Squeaky bum time, perhaps. Hope he stays. As others have said, there are good reasons why he should and why we should do what we can to keep him as I imagine we are.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
But it still isn't unlimited is it ?

Agreed - there is probably no real rush at the moment. Our management are probably away the moment, Welbeck agent will see what other offers are out there. I suspect the club will put a time limit on the offer on the table and will become apparent in the coming weeks.

My only concern is we already need a striker, perhaps 2 if Connolly isn't in the plans. If Welbeck is off then looking to sign 3 strikers in a window seems a huge stretch
Andone, Maupay, Zeqiri + 1

Or

Andone, Maupay, Welbeck + 1 ( Zeqiri loaned out )

Connolly loaned out whatever to sort himself out.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
He's 31 in November. After a promising season with us this is his last summer for a decent Prem contract. Of course he's going to wait and see what all the offers are. Why take our offer if there's a 10% chance someone else could come in with an extra 10-20k per week. There's obviously a deal on the table from us, but he's signing nothing until he's given other clubs fair chance. & who could blame him.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The lack of any news on extending his contract is slightly concerning, I am beginning to worry he will be off probably to Palace or Watford knowing our luck.

And we all know what happens next then, don't we....

My mate Dirty Barry said he's considering his options but at least one club has offered him a further 12 months on what we're prepared to offer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Classic NSC today on this thread :lol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Attachments

• 1481211358-giphy.gif
    1481211358-giphy.gif
    640.9 KB · Views: 544

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here